News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Leather Arrmor Patterns?

Started by Tripletap, September 28, 2013, 07:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripletap

Hello all!
I have decided to develop a new character, something you would maybe see in Conan The Barbarian.
I have recently decided to get into archery, so the character I want to create will be a Hun/ Barbarian type of guy, with leather armor, and a "Horse bow" not really a Mongol, not really Hungarian, not really Samaurai some where kinda in between, a Mercenary type.
So I am looking for leather patterns, something pretty simple but segmented, and scary.
Any ideas where to find patterns for a first time leatherworker?

Cheers.

escherblacksmith

not sure if anyone else will post, but, there are unlikely to be available patterns for this sort of thing.  The people who do it tend to do it for their own business/hobby, so any patterns are stuff they have hand-drawn, and so on.

That said, these guys have been very helpful in the past.  They cover quite abit of ground in leatherworking and I think there are some armorers among them.

good luck!
--

Rani Zemirah

Actually... YouTube is an awesome resource for armor patterns!  Just search things like "making leather armor", adding in words like barbarian, medieval, Mpngolian, etc...
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

escherblacksmith

ah, I assumed he was looking for hard patterns/directions as opposed to videos.  but, yeah, you can find virtually anything on Youtube.
--

Rani Zemirah

There are also a good many websites that have decent patterns and instructions, particularly for things like lamellar. 

This one appears to have pretty decent patterns for several different pieces, from many different parts of the world, and should at least give you a jumping off point for your armoring adventure! 

And another, with more lacing patterns for building differently shaped pieces, for different purposes. 

Oh... and if you are interested in actually making the lamellar you might see if you can find anyone who has a leather punch press, since putting that many holes in that many pieces of 8-10 oz leather with a hand punch can leave you with a severe case of repetitive motion syndrome, at best!  :o  I have a punch press, and it's the most wonderful thing in the history of leatherwork... EVER!  I wouldn't be able to do most of the things I do now, without it!  Of course, I have early onset arthritis, so it's a basic necessity for me. 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede