News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Beginner Archery

Started by Tammy, January 27, 2009, 07:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macbain

Quote from: DarkLord on July 30, 2009, 06:23:40 PM
It draws 37 lbs and is made of three different types of antelope horn.  My memory fails me a bit here but I beleve two are springbok and gemsbok.  It shoots fine but doesn't get the distance of say an SCA longbow.  But for style it can't be beat :)
I'm very surprised that the draw is only 37 lbs! Traditionally horn bows pull in excess of 100 lbs. They are certainly a chore to produce my first hornbow (and only so far) was a reflexed static recurve. Korean hornbows are most likely the earliest variation and when unstrung would curl into a "o" and it took almost a month of several hours a week. It's finnished weight was 79 lbs. (the lightest hornbow i had heard of until now) It was stolen at a glass buttes knapp in (primitive skills gathering). Traditional hornbows were very short often called horse bows because that was their intended use because they could pull more than three times the length than any wood bow of the same size and at a heavier poundage. I've made a few english longbows, some northern plains style bows (mostly variations of flatbow), reflex deflex, various recurves, and none of them could compare to the speed of the hornbow. Hornbows are great though! I bet those bits of horn high up on the limbs add a lot of handshock and decrease speed if i were you i would consider removing them. Although making a bow is difficult any bowyer will tell you that the real secret to archery is the arrow. You need the proper spine (stiffness or lack thereof) in an arrow as well as the proper taper for your style, application and lenth for your anchor point. I could talk about this for hours but i'll spare you guys ~.o

Lady Rebecca

So I'm interested in getting into archery, and I was searching ebay, and found this bow - a Shakespeare longbow, that's definitely within my price range. Doing a quick google search, though, I can't really find any info on that particular bow. Is this a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hunting-Long-Bow_W0QQitemZ150363356968QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item23025abf28&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Here's another one that was in my price range, too. Any opinions?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Wood-Long-Bow-Recurve-Bow_W0QQitemZ200369446441QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea6f31e29&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I have yet to check out most of the sites listed on this thread, but the only thing at 3 Rivers that was anywhere near my price range (and is still a bit more than I would like to spend) is the Titan Recurve Youth Bow, but as I am 5'10" I'm guessing I need a bigger bow.

Bowsmith

Lady Rebecca, the first bow you mention is a hunting recurve, not a longbow.  Prolly notwhat you're looking for, and definately not period.

The second IS a longbow, a very old one by the look, and without a bunchof information, like what kind of wood it is, and how it's been kept.  Old bows not kept and treated properly can absorb moisture, which can affect the bow.

That said,it looks like it's been knocked around a bit, and MAY stand up to some moderate shooting.  I wouldn't suggest going up against Guy of Gisborne with it......

If you do get it, have it refurbished, get a new string for it (56"), and maybe get the grip re-wrapped.  You may find the makers info underneath what looks to be the original wrap.

Cormac, here's the recuve I mentioned, 3/4 finished today, and strung and shot for the first time.  For about 3 hours.

Still have lots of sanding to do, and some custom carving on the tips to dressit up abit.  I'm thinking about using Viking dragon prow heads for the tips.
Bowyer

Tammy

I know I've not posted in forever...but I thought I'd update y'all on my path into archery!
So, months ago I started this thread with an inkling to start learning about archery, and get a bow. Since then I've found out that my g'ma, aunts & dad used to compete, and win trophies in competitions!  :o Well, that of course fueled my desire. One of my uncles gave me a beautiful recurve, but I can't pull it back.  :(
For my birthday a couple of my friends set it up at a local archery club for us to get a short lesson, and shot some arrows. IT WAS SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had a hard time keeping my elbow out, so I've got a nasty bruise (yes, I was wearing an arm guard, but it wouldn't fold with the elbow), but it's worth it!! I did three good groupings, and hit my target with a little over half the shots.  ;D
I've now gotten two bows I can pull back from a local sporting goods shop. They are both longbows, but being made of fiberglass they are very modern looking. I am planning on getting a more traditional looking bow as funds allow.
I love archery...and turning circles into pincushions is tons of fun!!   ;) :D
Royal Protector of Raccoons, Mistress of the Poi, Best Friend of Windland/Nim, Guppy, Seamstress for The Feisty Lady.

gem

Great thread!  I've been wanting to get into archery, but wanted to start with lessons, maybe, instead of with buying a bow. All I can find locally seems to be geared toward hunters, which is not something I'm interested in.  I was planning to talk to the bowsmith at our local fair, but that doesn't start until September.

Any tips on finding places to learn?

Tammy

I would contact one of the clubs. Most of the places around here will also allow beginners to use the facilities, and some offer classes. Even if the people are mostly interested in hunting, doesn't mean you have to be. They will have targets (granted, some might be 3D) to shoot at.
Seriously, I'd call them. That's what my friend did. The place we went offers classes on Tuesday nights in the Spring, Sherry told them I just wanted a short lesson as a birthday gift...and the president of the club came out on a beautiful Saturday and spent most of the day inside showing 3 gals how to shoot bows!

I know my stance is off...

It was SO much fun!!
Royal Protector of Raccoons, Mistress of the Poi, Best Friend of Windland/Nim, Guppy, Seamstress for The Feisty Lady.

Cormac

Quote from: gem on February 27, 2010, 04:59:32 PM
Great thread!  I've been wanting to get into archery, but wanted to start with lessons, maybe, instead of with buying a bow. All I can find locally seems to be geared toward hunters, which is not something I'm interested in.  I was planning to talk to the bowsmith at our local fair, but that doesn't start until September.

Any tips on finding places to learn?

If you have a shop in the area that has a decent selection of traditional archery supplies they could be a good resource.  I am very fortunate to have a very good recurve bow builder in the area that actually has a two day spring "camp" for traditional shooters.  Pricey, but well worth it as they will help you correct bad habits and develop good form.

If you can not locate a shop that can help with traditional shooting you may want to look for an SCA or mountain man rendevous group in your area.  Both of these often have an archery element to them.

All else fails there are a number of books available and you should also be able to find a dvd or two that will help you along.  Develop good form and then practice....lots. 

Craigmeister

My wife, some friends and I learned how to shoot longbows at a local city park gymnasium.  Yes, it was inside so the rain and wind wouldn't affect our shots (and probably to prevent someone from getting shot downrange).  A few years after that, I found a very affordable 35 pound draw Hickory long bow from Dave Ruff at www.stickbowarchery.com.  He's a great guy and has a booth at lots of Renfaires across the country.  My longbow finishes off my Robin Hood outfit quite nicely.
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

escherblacksmith

dang, that is bringing one from the dead . . . .
--

Tripletap

I just recently started getting into archery myself, I scored a nice recurve at a pawn shop for $40.00! (PSE Heritage Bullseye Takedown)
I got hooked on traditional archery by going to a couple classes from "Meetup.com", the class was Longbow and Atlatl, it was too much fun!
I joined the "Austin Archery Club" for $50.00 a year it is in the woods and hills they have 30+ 3D targets all set up so you hike then see a target, and shoot it.
They have cool tournaments all the time.
My next bow is going to be a "Horse Bow" that will be my Ren Faire Bow as well, archery is too much fun!