News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Who Has Attended On Columbus Day?

Started by Craigmeister, October 06, 2013, 01:07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craigmeister

Are there big crowds in attendance on Columbus Day?  Is it mostly for school kids?  I've been to the Norman Medieval Faire on a Friday and the crowds are much smaller but about 80% of attendees are students.  Is that what KCRF is like on its last day?
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

Cap'n Hunnar Graybeard

Last year was my first time being at KCRF on Columbus Day and that's what I noticed there. More students than adults.
IPB Clan Chieftain - Clan Williams (Kansas)
Crew of The Bayou Scoundrel
Landshark #58

Amyj

For the last 10 years, Columbus Day weekend has been the weekend we make it out from St. Louis.  I like the 3 day weekend, but as I've gotten older, I find that I don't care too much to be around with the school groups as much.  Unfortunately, it seems that only about 50% of the kids even want to be there...and only about 15% of that aren't afraid to show that they are interested...the rest look at this as "Freak Spotting"...which I find ironic, since so many of those kids calling US freaks are wearing pants with a waistband that starts at their knees.  Give me a well fitted pair of breeches or tights (or a kilt even!) ANY DAY!!!

Columbus Day (or "All Theives Day" as it's unofficially known by the vendors) is a MASS of school children until about 3:00.  This means shorter lines at the beer vendors (and funny stories of Middle Schoolers trying to get beer...really!), and you may have to ask vendors to see any of their nicer wares (many of them pull back the good stuff while the kids are around; too many light fingers).  The joust, lanes and some shows can be very busy (and all the shows will be G or PG until 3; at which point the acts LET LOOSE and there are some REALLY funny moments  :o )...but it offers some interesting chances for interaction with the kids.  One year I was standing just inside the wall at the joust in my pirate garb and a group of pre-teen girls were giggling and pointing at us.  One, who I think GENUINELY was interested, but wanted to appear "snarky" for her friends' benefit asked "Where'd you get that coat?"  I replied "I made it...take Home Ec., Stay in school!"  Next came "Where'd you get that mug?"  (a wooden one)  Again, "I made it...take Shop, Stay in school!"   :D LOL!  She did seem to be truly thinking about it and I imagine there was some garb creating going on by her later.  Of course, there is also the story (I did not get to see this) of a gang fight in the lanes that was broken up by one of the jousters riding in on his ginormous horse!  THAT would have been a sight to see!!!!  ;D

All that said...The 3 days is worth it.  Monday is a chance to take it slow and easy (3 days full-on is exhausting)...do some crowd watching, get a chance to speak to many of the performers, maybe help out a kid doing a project...perhaps even convert a new rennie!  The post-3:00 vibe is fun; for a lot of the bawdy acts, all that holding back comes pouring out!  I honestly don't remember this being the final weekend until the last 2 years or so...I could SWEAR there was usually one more weekend... ???  But, with this being the final day, there is a lot of "What are they going to do? FIRE us?" in the shows, so you get a more bawdy show for some.  And there are always the bitter-sweet goodbyes that come with final day.
I'm not fat, it's just that a skinny body couldn't hold ALL THIS PERSONALITY! ;)
Historically Accur-ISH

Merlin the Elder

It will be our first visit to KCRF, and it has come highly recommended...not withstanding the RenDezvous gathering.  Monday will be a learning experience for me, but will help me to prepare for grand-kids...
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Butch

My experience on Columbus Day has not been anything at all like AmyJ's post!  Maybe I'm too blissfully ignorant!  I seem to think that almost all of the kids attending want to be there, and there isn't too much of that "snarkiness" going on.  I do know that some kids try to get alcohol (ummm, yeah, sure thing, here's some booze).  Never heard of any fighting in the lanes.

Again, maybe it exists, but I haven't noticed it!

Merlin the Elder

We'll hang with you, where it's safe, eh, Butch?  ::) ;D

Amyj

Whoops Butch...I hope I didn't give the impression things were BAD that day!  I do see a lot of the kids (especially the younger ones) having a BLAST...it's in a few of the older ones that I see some boredom (but I think they're at an age that just about anything short of explosions are "Boooo-ring!", LOL!)  I might be seeing things through the lens of being almost exhausted from going full-on for 2 whole days by then too (we only get one weekend at KCRF a year and try to see EVERYTHING both days...you'd think after 14 years we would have that down pat!!!)

The fight may be a "sea-story"...I've only heard about it second or third hand.  I do really enjoy that Monday for crowd watching...you do get to see the exact moment some kids catch the faire bug, and that is pretty cool.  I really like getting to spend time with some of my favorite performers that day...it seems that they have more time and are more accessible on that Monday.  If you get a chance, take advantage of that.
I'm not fat, it's just that a skinny body couldn't hold ALL THIS PERSONALITY! ;)
Historically Accur-ISH

gem

I'm with Butch. We're out there every day, and except for the fact that you kind of *notice* there are more kids, it doesn't really change the vibe much for us at all.

What we really feel keenly is the sense of the show winding down--everyone's both kind of tired and wrapping up to go home, while simultaneously eager to talk and get in as much as they can before it's over for the year. It feels more intimate and behind-the-scenes than the rest of the year, somehow. :)

Merlin the Elder

Closing day at Scarby is so bloody hot, you can't really enjoy it much, but it does have a different feel somehow.  This should be fun at KC!

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Last day for the regulars I'm sure has a different feel. For us it's just another great Faire day. And as for kids day - that's what ale is for  :)
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Merlin the Elder

Rowan MacD

Well, the Weather Witch was liberally bribed with Kandy Korn, and has decreed that the weather will cooperate for the RenDezvous weekend at KCRF; especially for those worried about overheating in noble garb (though KC has plenty of shade).
   Sunny Saturday and Sunday with highs in the mid 60's, though Columbus Day. for the holiday itself- Highs will remain in the 60's but with a 60% chance of T-storms. 
   That should reduce the schoolkid presence for those of you planning on making a 3 day weekend of it.  ;)
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

kcdcchef

it's a blast!!!!! you'll love it! it's mega crowded until 230 with the kids. Then they leave and you get this quaint experience of the faire more empty and the shows get back to bawdy like they should be! It's a great time, you'll love it.

Merlin the Elder

Oddly enough, it was more crowded on Saturday than it was on Monday... and the kids were better behaved Monday than the adults were on Sunday.