News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Leather Crafting

Started by Quailynn, September 05, 2013, 08:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quailynn

In the past year, I've started working with leather. I've made two dragon heads that you can see in the photos at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Skin-Deep-Leatherworks/313016908799856

The red one is about 6 inches long and the white one is about 4 inches long. They both have working jaws. I want to start selling them but am not sure what the right price point would be. I thought $50 for the larger one and $30 for the smaller one.

I'm also thinking about making heads that are useful, such as a pouch, belt buckle, cell phone carrier, lip/chap stick holder, etc.

Thoughts?
Quailynn
Royal Rogue Rage

Gauwyn of Bracknell

A cell phone carrier would be good - maybe even one that disguised the phone while using the phone?
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quailynn

Oh yes! That's a good idea too. I guess could have one side of the jaw snap open to allow people to hold the phone up to their ear while the top of the dragon head was still on the back of the phone / in the person's hand. Hmmm, might have to give that some thought.

My goal is to make a full 3d dragon - head, body, tail, wings and all. I made a tiny one but wasn't very happy with it. So . . . back to the drawing board :)
Quailynn
Royal Rogue Rage

PollyPoPo

Possible some version of a mug/stein cap?
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Prima

OOOOOOh I agree with Polly!
"I aim to misbehave" ~Malcolm Reynolds

GryffinSong

I LOVE it!!! I'm an art fiend, so I would simply buy it as a sort of mask to hang on the wall. Your work is awesome.
"Be yourself, everyone else is taken." - Oscar Wilde

Quailynn

Quote from: PollyPoPo on September 06, 2013, 09:58:26 AM
Possible some version of a mug/stein cap?

Oh yes!!! Great idea! I was going to do a mug wrap, but a cap (perhaps with a matching wrap) is a wonderful idea! THANK YOU!
Quailynn
Royal Rogue Rage

Quailynn

Quote from: GryffinSong on September 06, 2013, 11:35:33 AM
I LOVE it!!! I'm an art fiend, so I would simply buy it as a sort of mask to hang on the wall. Your work is awesome.

Thank you so much GryffinSong. I'd be happy to make you one if you are sincerely interested. We can talk about size, color, style, etc. Let me know. :)
Quailynn
Royal Rogue Rage

scarletnyx

Leather bookbags!

Nothing crazy intricate - just two straps, a secure closure system, and maybe somewhat of a boxy structure. I've been looking around, and I've found a lot of stuff that is either WAY too complicated, or straight from China. It doesn't have to be crazy big either - big enough for at least a one liter thermos of water, a cloak to be folded up, and some breathing space.
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

Quailynn

Quote from: scarletnyx on September 13, 2013, 10:31:33 AM
Leather bookbags!

Nothing crazy intricate - just two straps, a secure closure system, and maybe somewhat of a boxy structure. I've been looking around, and I've found a lot of stuff that is either WAY too complicated, or straight from China. It doesn't have to be crazy big either - big enough for at least a one liter thermos of water, a cloak to be folded up, and some breathing space.

Are you asking me to make you one or just sharing an idea?
Quailynn
Royal Rogue Rage

scarletnyx

Quote from: Quailynn on September 13, 2013, 10:50:52 AM
Quote from: scarletnyx on September 13, 2013, 10:31:33 AM
Leather bookbags!

Are you asking me to make you one or just sharing an idea?

Sharing an idea. Sorry if it got into rantyspace there for a second - not being able to find a bag that obscures the Templar cross on my chest is my current sisyphean task.

I've also noticed that some of the monk bags/cloth bags that people carry, while fine in stable weather, don't do so hot if it's raining out. And, over time, they will rip and tear.

So, just an idea! :D
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

crazyrennie

An idea may be a bag that attaches around the waist like a falconers' bag-
you could make one slightly bigger?
Crazy-hmm I need to make another falconry bag anyway