News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Advice on a better, slightly more HA bottom?

Started by theChuck, October 06, 2013, 04:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowan MacD

The boots look OK to me; everyone that I know wears at least knee high boots with their slops.
    As for the panes....They look a bit narrow to me; or those are some large gaps.
    I'm used to seeing the panes at least 3" wide and placed right next to each other.  The idea is to have the contrasting lining 'flash' when the wearer moves, but stay mostly hidden the rest of the time.
    To fill out the lining: Do your slops have an inner lining, one that fits closer to your thigh? If so, you can make a small slit in that to gain access to the space between the inner and outer lining.  Fill to desired puffiness with tulle (the tutu stuff) that is the coolest filling I can think of.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

isabelladangelo

Low shoes, yes!

To my eye, it looks like the panes are much bigger than the pants (the tan material).  The tan material should be so bunchy that it sticks through the panes.  It isn't.  I'd either tighten up the panes (cut them and reconnect the pants cuffs) or sew in some more material between the panes.   If you tighten them up, you'll get a more 1570's look. 

theChuck

I guess this should be clarified: the way Pendragon makes their stuff now, they make separate panes and pants (so the pants underneath are washable). The tradeoff, then, is that they're not at all H/A or anything, and they're not Tudor slops per se. The exact product they make is listed here on their site. I guess based on the images on their site, these are close to what they're aiming for.

The pants aren't lined, no. I suppose I could just put them on and fill with tulle, though that might be itchy. Hmm..
The Renlist - find faires near you!

isabelladangelo

Quote from: theChuck on April 01, 2014, 10:45:06 PM

I suppose I could just put them on and fill with tulle, though that might be itchy. Hmm..

Not if you wear tights.   ;)

I'd get a much puffer pair of not so underpants/slops then.  Or still, just cut down the panes and reattach the cuffs.

Rowan MacD

Hmmmm, those pictures explain a lot.
  These are not slops; so for a lack of a better word-I will christen them  'over panes'
Whatever, the panes are still too narrow, and too long for your needs.
  Try pinning them up a couple of inches (like at the waist band) to take in the slack,  then trying them back on over your pants.
   If you like what you see then (if you're handy with a needle)  make a permanent alteration.
Pendragon, like Moresca, seem to specialize in Renaissance inspired fashions in stead of HA.
   So..you get what you get.
IWG wench #3139 

theChuck

Quote from: Rowen MacD on April 02, 2014, 05:31:23 PM
  These are not slops; so for a lack of a better word-I will christen them  'over panes'
Pendragon, like Moresca, seem to specialize in Renaissance inspired fashions in stead of HA.

Yeah, I guess that's the lesson here. My doublet isn't really HA either, though. I'm less concerned with HA per se and just making sure that I don't look ridiculous.

But based on everyone's advice, I'm going to try to find a solution to work with what I've got.

Rowan MacD

I think you can just shorten the panes and be done with it, It should look fine  ;D

Now you get to learn how to negotiate your surroundings without snagging those loops on everything (table corners, bench edges,other people's swords...). After a day of wearing them, you may opt for just the breeches.  :)

good luck!

IWG wench #3139 

isabelladangelo

Quote from: Rowen MacD on April 04, 2014, 09:34:08 AM
  I think you can just shorten the panes and be done with it, It should look fine  ;D

Now you get to learn how to negotiate your surroundings without snagging those loops on everything (table corners, bench edges,other people's swords...). After a day of wearing them, you may opt for just the breeches.  :)

good luck!

Or, once they are shortened, you can stay stitch them to the under trousers/Venetians/ those tan pants so they won't snag.  :-)

Rowan MacD

Do you have a picture of that?
    Hubby won't wear his paned slops because of the hassle. Maybe I can help him with it.
IWG wench #3139 

isabelladangelo

Similar to this idea:
http://cerridwencreations.weebly.com/5/post/2012/10/slash-and-puff.html

Rather than create two seperate garments, simply sew down, along the edges, the panes to the puffy under trousers (slops).  Have the puffy slops and panes sewn into one cuff for each leg, making it one pair of trousers. 

gem

I think that advice (stitching the panes to the breeches) will actually help with making the breeches puff out more, too. I would catch just a few threads of the turned-under/backside of the panes, so the stitches aren't visible from the front. You might have to experiment with placement to get the best look, so try it with pins first.

theChuck

I think the sewing forum is bleeding into here. My fiancee and I are utterly useless at anything beyond simple fixes to clothing, so I'm not sure how I'd go about shortening the panes. Maybe find a local seamstress or something...

gem

Oh, no--this is TOTALLY simple!

1. Find your needle, some thread, and scissors. And some safety pins.

2. Stand in front of a mirror, wearing the pants.

3. Have your DW carefully arrange and pin the panes to the breeches underneath, until you have a look that's more pleasing. The easiest thing might be to pin in the center of the diamond pattern on the panes.

4. Everywhere there's a pin, take a couple of quick secure stitches through the pane & breeches.

Frankly, I'm not sure there is a solution to this that doesn't involve you getting scissors and needle&thread, but there's nothing here beyond a rank novice. Really. Easy as sewing on a button. Except without the hassle of the button!

Butch

Looking at your pictures again, you MAY be able to add stuffing between your thigh and the golden trousers; thereby pushing the golden material out towards the loose panes.  Try it with rolled up t-shirts to see if that gives the effect you want.

But Gem is absolutely right!  Shortening the panes themselves would be a very easy job!  Just as she describes. 

Ser Niall

Chuck, there are a lot of people who wear Pendragon's stuff at our faire.  Yours look the same as the others I've seen people wear, so I don't think there is anything wrong with them, that's just how they make them.

That being said, true paned slops are a single piece of clothing, the panes are not separate from the inner lining.  This allows them to be stuffed, which would reduce the gap between the panes on the lining.  However, I wouldn't worry about it too much.  They still look nice, and there will be many people who will be sporting the same style of Pendragon slops, so you won't be out of place. 

If you're worried about the gap, you could probably get Pendragon to shorten the panes a bit.  My wife has a dress from them, and they have done repairs on it for free.  They usually have to ship it out to California to do this though, so the turn around time might be a few weeks.

Also, if you're good with a needle, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to sew another lining inside of your breeches so that you can stuff them.  You might even be able to just pin some stuffing on the inside so that they poof out more.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.