News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

This may seem trivial....

Started by Redbirdinmo, October 20, 2013, 04:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redbirdinmo

....but does anyone know if St Louis ever has any plans to put in actual restrooms? I have been to KC, TRF, Scarborough, Colorado, and Muskogee and they all have regular restrooms, not port o potties (gross). I spend so much on my faire garb that I almost cannot stand the thought of going to a faire that does not have adequate restrooms.  Not to mention the smell. I have actually avoided the faire in the last couple years for that reason. I note that they are very particular about their structures for their vendors...you can only use a tent your first year, etc....you would think they would be as particular about their facilities. If they hope to grow in the faire community I really think they should look to this issue asap. Just mho.

Butch

Although not a true "flushie", the "Les Amis de Lyon" friend of Faire booth has a private privvy, and it is a large (handicapped) unit, so it is quite roomy.  Additionally, they have a changing area very near their privvy, so you could remove any of your garb before entering the privvy, and dress again after leaving the portojohn.

But, I have no idea if they intend on getting real restrooms there. That would entail plumbing, and I don't know if they wish to sink that cost into a site that is only used a few days per year.

Lady Renee Buchanan

It depends on the faire, too.  Due to the type of land at the MN faire, they can't have flushables.  Something to do with pipes and the ground.

Also, the Friends of Faire garden at Bristol has privies, and they are kept way cleaner than the flushies.  The flushies at Scarby when we went there several years ago were in worse condition than the privies.  I have also used the St. Louis FOF privy, and it was spotless.

By the way, I'm not even supposed to use privies because of my kidney transplant, but some times they are a better alternative than the real ones.

I also purchased from Medline Industries, germicidal wipes.  They have a 2 to 5 minute kill time, and are effective against HIV and Mersa germs as well as almost every germ found in a hospital.   Wipe down the privy, and by tie time you've gotten your garb situated, the germs are dead. Then put toilet paper on the seat, and some on top of the liquid inside the privy, and it's decent.  P.S. Bring some TP just in case.

I'd never let the lack of a flushables toilet keep me from a faire!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Butch

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on October 21, 2013, 05:29:54 PM
HUZZAH!

So, Lady Renee, I hope you were not too disappointed by our two Royal Privvies in Canterbury (the flushies).  I think you're right about the flushies not being kept as clean as the portables.
I always use them if I can at KCRF.  For males, I believe the ones near the front entrance are a bit cleaner than the ones near the rear entrance; but neither one is particularily cleaner than the portojohns!  In MN (Shakopee) they have troughs (for men) behind a wall in most of the privvies that are actually quite clean and convenient if all one needs to use is a urinal.

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Butch on October 22, 2013, 09:17:36 AM

In MN (Shakopee) they have troughs (for men) behind a wall in most of the privvies that are actually quite clean and convenient if all one needs to use is a urinal.

Just don't fill your cup with the ice  :P
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: Butch on October 22, 2013, 09:17:36 AM
Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on October 21, 2013, 05:29:54 PM
HUZZAH!

So, Lady Renee, I hope you were not too disappointed by our two Royal Privvies in Canterbury (the flushies).  I think you're right about the flushies not being kept as clean as the portables.
I always use them if I can at KCRF.  For males, I believe the ones near the front entrance are a bit cleaner than the ones near the rear entrance; but neither one is particularily cleaner than the portojohns!  In MN (Shakopee) they have troughs (for men) behind a wall in most of the privvies that are actually quite clean and convenient if all one needs to use is a urinal.

Butch, on Monday, the flushies were kind of rank -  but definitely not crowded.  On Sat. And Sun, the flushies were cleaner than the privies.  Some of them were downright nasty.  Only problem with the flushies were the long lines, very long lines.  And the stalls could have used another 6 inches to a foot before the door.  Once in, it was very hard to turn around and try to arrange garb!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Keep positive - they could be H/A privys :P
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Rowan MacD

I've never been to the St. Louis Faire-They have a hard site but no regular public restrooms? Odd.
Neb renfair actually has 3 kinds-Flushies inside the main banquet buildings, porta-johns and a 'toilet trailer'  which is a regular restroom set up in a portable trailer.  Men's on one end, and a Ladies room on the other.  These have 3-4 stalls and regular flush toilets with sinks.  Not as good as a well maintained restroom, but way better than a porta potty.  Might be something to look into if they want to offer more refined facilities...

DMRF has both Royal flushies and a line of porta potties at the other end of the park.

Both of these places share their facilities with a Halloween attraction in the fall and other activities and festivals during the year, so it makes financial sense to have  modern facilities.  Is the St Louis Faire the only user?
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

jcbanner

older topic, but I've been away from the forums for a while. but I do have answers for this!

The faire is hosted on public land leased from the Wentzville Parks Department.  So while yes the faire is a permanent installation of the park, the faire does not own the land. 9 days a year the land "belongs" to faire, the other 356 days of the year, it belongs to the park.  We've talked with the park about getting a sewer line brought in, but nothing has been worked out yet. due to the conditions of the park, it would be cost prohibitive to do so on our own. (we're talking tens of thousands just for the sewer line, not even including permits or the building that would house the toilets)

Since the park itself does not have flushing toilets, and we are at the back corner of the park, it's my suspicion that the city aldermen are holding out for us to install the sewer our self first so that down the line they don't have to pay for that when they install their own bathrooms in the park.