News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The Meaning of Names

Started by Edward de Johns, July 08, 2008, 07:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edward de Johns

Alfred - from the Old English aelfraed, meaning "elf counsel

Taffy Saltwater

Porfiria - my dane middle name.  Latin:  she (or he) who wears purple.  You may now give obeisance.
Sveethot!

Lady Mikayla of Phoenicia

My mundane...first means light, middle means darkness...I'm my own Yin/Yang.
"Embrace those who love you and rid yourself of those who bring you down."

Welsh Wench

Both my names are diminutives of the original names.
So... I am a little harvester who is a little pure.

Kind of like being a little bit pregnant. :)
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Tipsy Gypsy

Donna- "Lady"

*snerk*...they meant well!
"It's just water, officer, I swear. And yeast. And a little honey. How the alcohol got in, I have no idea!"

Queen_of_Navarre

My mundane name is Renee, which means reborn.
My S.C.A. name was Reyna Arafael which meant queen of joy.
Reyna Marguerite Regina d'Navarre
Royal Order of Landsharks #45
Keeper of the Hairless Cats
Artist of Crescent Moon

Madge Estes

My mundane name means "strong, womanly one."
Live so your dreams recognize you.

Queen Bonnie

Bonnie does not mean- one who lies over the ocean! LOL!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

renren

Quote from: Queen Bonnie on July 11, 2008, 06:38:57 PM
Bonnie does not mean- one who lies over the ocean! LOL!

D'oh!
Now I can't get that same outta my head! LOL!
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

Captain Jack Wolfe

Apparently I was named for a fellow beheaded by King Herod and an archangel portrayed by John Travolta.  ;D
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

groomporter

Me maither had such a hell of a time giving birth tae me, she named me after Andrew, the patron St. of Scotland...   ;D
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Lady Nicolette

Named after my grandfather, Nikola.  My name means "victorious maiden" in translation.  My birth certificate states my name as "Nickie," but the Catholic church saw it differently and asked my mother for a more feminine name when I was baptised, she chose "Nicolette."  Either is legal.  Family legend has it that after the priest poured the holy water on my forehead, I said, "Let's get the hell out of here!"  (I was much older than usual at a Catholic baptism, due to my mother's illness at the time). 

My second run-in with the church was when I was confirmed.  I wanted to use "Francis," as Francis of Assisi was the one I most resonated with, with his kindness to the birds and the beasts.  Once again, I was ordered to make a choice from the feminine.  So I chose Bernadette, since she had all of those awesome visions and was brave enough to tend to lepers.  So my Catholic name is "Nicolette Bernadette." :D
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Lady Renee Buchanan

First name Renee means "reborn."  As I was 5 years ago when I received a kidney donation and got a second chance at life.  My kidneys were functioning at 8% at the time of the transplant, 0% is death.

Middle name Anne.  Per a website giving the meaning of names:  short form of names beginning with the Germanic element arn "eagle".

So I guess I am a born again eagle.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

maelstrom0370

Let's see.....

Michael
~From the Hebrew name "Mikha'el" meaning "Who is like God?". This is a rhetorical question, implying no person is like God. Saint Michael was one of the seven archangels in Hebrew tradition and the only one identified as an archangel in the Bible. In the Book of Revelation in the New Testament he is portrayed as the leader of heaven's armies, and thus is considered the patron saint of soldiers.~

Daniel
~From the Hebrew name "Daniyyel" meaning "God is my judge". Daniel was a Hebrew prophet whose story is told in the Book of Daniel in the Old Testament. He lived during the Jewish captivity in Babylon, where he served in the court of the king, rising to prominence by interpreting the king's dreams. The book also presents Daniel's four visions of the end of the world.~

WOW! That's a LOT of Biblical mumbo-jumbo given that I can't remember the last time I was in a church and if I did set foot in one, it would probably come tumblin' down!!  ::) ;D

Celtic Lady

My real first name (Katherine) means pure and my middle name (Mary) means bitter.