News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The Meaning of Names

Started by Edward de Johns, July 08, 2008, 07:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muffin

My mundane first name: Amy: In French, the name Amy means- Dearly loved; Beloved. From the Old French Amee, which derives from the Latin amatus meaning loved. In common use after publication of American Louisa May Alcotts Little Women.. Other origins for the name Amy include - French, Latin-American, English.The name Amy is most often used as a girl name or female name.

and yep... Mom got it from Little Women..   :)

My mundane middle name: Marie: In French, the name Marie means- bitter sea. Other origins for the name Marie include - French, English, Hebrew.The name Marie is most often used as a girl name or female name.

So I am Dearly loved but bitter..  :D Makes sense...

:-*

A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

LadyFae

I'm like Muffin- a lovable, bitter woman.  Or in name terms, Amanda Marie.
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Merlin the Elder

Although my first name, Thomas, means "twin," as someone previously stated, but my first and middle name together have a special meaning. I was named "Thomas Hale" after my dads' best friend. They joined the service together prior to WWII, served together in the Philippines, and were both captured by the Japanese. Both survived the Bataan Death March, but Tommy did not survive the POW camp.

My last name, Bertram, means "bright raven" and has a Germanic origin. Almost all of my ancestors were from Prussia and surrounding countries.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Poldugarian Warrior

I forgot to include my last name Machcinski, which has several different spellings depending on which part of Poland your in, but it means poppyseed. So my whole name translated from the Hebrew-David-meaning beloved, the Greek-Thomas-meaning twin, and the Polish-Machcinski-meaning poppyseed. And my name is beloved twin poppyseed. The last name probably pertaining to the many poppy fields in Poland where opium was a very common drug for recreational and medicinal use, and my ancestry was probably part of the farming or sale of opium/poppies.

Lady Gryphon

My first name in Hebrew means "Grace" 

My last name is that of a person who works with Stone or brick. 

I had the shortest name in the 1st grade all 8 letters
Why do I feel like I've worn something like this before?

Alexandra Johanna

My mundane name is Alexandra. I was named after my father, Alexander, which means "Defender of Man". Supposedly my mother was expecting twins (I have never gotten a good reason out of her as to why she would be expecting twins) so they only had twin names picked out and she didn't want to use any of them when only me showed up. I was their last child and they had no sons, so they went with Alexandra. My mother hated this name though and called me Sandy instead.  I also have no middle name, I only have an initial, which is J. My dad has a middle name, a Flemish form of John, which he shortened to just J. when they came to the USA.

I've always liked Alexandra, yet hardly anyone I know calls me that. Thanks Mom! LOL