News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Elven Recipes

Started by Edward de Johns, July 08, 2008, 08:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edward de Johns

Some treats from those half-baked Elves lounging in the Hallowed Tree.......

Hobbit Bread.......

Butter to grease loaf pans
graham cracker or bread crumbs
3 eggs, yolks and whites separated
pinch of sugar
pinch of salt
1/3 cup sugar
1 3/4 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup sour cream
6 tablespoons poppy seeds
1/3 cup orange juice
grated rind of 1 orange
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 stick butter
3/4 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 325F. Grease loaf pans with the butter and coat with crumbs. Set aside. Separate the eggs, reserve the yolks. Place the whites in a small mixing bowl. Add the pinch of sugar and salt to whites. Start beating the egg whites on low speed. Continue beating on low speed until the whites start to thicken and turn opaque. Turn the mixer to high speed, gradually adding 1/3 cup sugar. The egg whites are often ready at this point. If not, continue beating on high speed until the egg whites form stiff peaks, but are not dry. Set aside.

In a small mixing bowl, sift the dry mix of flour, baking powder, and soda. Set aside.

In small mixing bowl, combine the wet mix consisting of sour cream, poppy seeds, orange juice, orange rind and vanilla. Set aside.

In large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and ¾ cup sugar. Slowly add 3 egg yolks. On mixer's low speed, alternately add the dry and wet mix, beginning and ending with the dry mix. Take a small amount of the egg whites and stir into the batter to loosen. Then lightly, but thoroughly, fold the remaining egg whites into the batter. Turn the batter into 6 mini loaf pans that have been buttered and crumbed. Bake at 325° for 25 minutes. When a toothpick inserted into the middle is dry, the bread is done. Allow to cool 3-5 minutes before turning out onto the rack.

Notes:
This recipe also makes 2 small loaves of bread, which should be baked at 325F for 1 to 1 1/4 hours.

Queen Bonnie

I have had these! Yummy!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

Elennare

I have another recepie for lembas.  It just popped into my head one day, and wouldn't leave, so I tried making it, and I thought they came out pretty good.  As my friend put it, I got a gift from Galadriel. 

Sorry the directions are so imprecise.  I haven't had time to really mess around with it and get the measurements perfected.  If I do, I'll post a revised recepie.  Until then, this'll have to do.

Happy cooking. :)

Ingreedients:
1 flat bread recepie of your choosing.  I lost the one I originally used, but it was just one I found on the internet that sounded like it would taste good.  A slightly sweet bread is preferable, though any would work.  I'd also suggest one that makes pita- or naan-like bread over cracker-like bread.

1 cup shelled walnuts
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup golden raisens
1/2 cup chopped dates
honey (however much you need/want)
butter/margarine or egg white (optional)

Directions:
prepare flat bread, but do not bake.  Roll it out into a thin sheet and cut into squares.  Thin is important!  If you make it too thick, the bread will end up kinda hard.

for filling, smash walnuts (get a hammer or something like that, and flatten them.  A plastic bag may help contain them, but be carefull not to pop the bag as that sends bits of nuts flying everywhere :)).  add oatmeal, raisens, and dates, and stir well.
add enough honey to make the mixture into a gooey mess, or to your taste

Put a glob of filling into the middle of each bread square, and fold into a triangle.  Seal the edges.  Make more of the filling and/or bread if you run out of one of them.
Brush each lembas with butter/margarine or egg if desired.

Bake at the temperature dictated by the bread recepie until golden brown.
Let cool, and store in a sealed container.
Makes however many you feel like.
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

PurpleDragon

~looks in, reads, shakes his head.. Drat.. I thought they would be recipes on how to cook an elf.. not how to cook for them~

I might like to try one or two of these sometime.
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.