News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Once again I need some help and advice

Started by HannahLeeDee, July 09, 2008, 12:39:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HannahLeeDee

So I have been searching and searching for a bodice that is properly boned and I would just fall in love with. But during that process I kept coming back to my old green bodice that is attached to a skirt. I love the bodice and only wish it had some boning so I would look a little flatter and it would hold everything in the right spot. So that got me to thinking. Can I add boning to my old bodice? I think I know what I am doing. Please tell me if this a bad idea?

Here is what I was thinking.

First I would create a bodice lining to fit the current bodice.
Then I would use something like the online corset maker as a pattern for were the boning should be
Then I would attach the boning (I would be using cable ties) by using biased tape.
Then when that is all done with I would sew the boned lining to the bodice by hand sewing some parts like around the grommets and possible machine sewing some areas.

What do you think? If I'm careful can this be done. I know I would have to do a lot of trying on to make sure everything is comfortable and looking right.

Here are some pictures of the bodice.
Back http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb5/Grizzabella27/S5002534.jpg
Grommets http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb5/Grizzabella27/S5002533.jpg
Where bodice is connected to skirt http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb5/Grizzabella27/S5002530.jpg
Front http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb5/Grizzabella27/S5002527.jpg

gem

I would actually take your current bodice and *copy* it, rather than trying to alter it.  It will be easier, you'll get better results, and you won't wreck an item you love.  Also, if the green bodice has been worn a lot, and has little or no boning, the fabric has probably been distorted and stretched some, and that won't yield satisfactory results.

It's actually pretty easy (I do this all the time).  Take the bodice, unlace it everywhere, and lay it as flat as you can on some big paper.  Trace around each piece (for this one, I'd trace around the back, and then one whole front side as a single piece--eliminate those princess seams).  Smooth out the lines you've drawn (so the back is symmetrical, etc).  Use that new pattern to cut out a mockup from muslin, to test the fit.

Then make a whole new bodice, with four layers--two canvas interlining layers, and a layer each of two different fashion fabrics (it will be reversible).  Check out Baroness Doune's website for fabulous instructions on how to construct the canvas interlining layer--including sewing the boning channels, etc.

Good luck! (I made three of these last summer--two Fair bodices and one gown bodice--using this method.)

Baroness Doune

To add boning to your current bodice - use bone casing.
Bone casing is a long tube of twill fabric.   It comes in widths to accommodate 1/4 inch wide boning and 1/2 inch wide boning.  For duct (cable) ties which are 3/8 inch wide, narrow the tube of the 1/2 inch wide bone casing by sewing a line of stitching up the length of the tube.

Sew the ends of the tube so that there is about 1/2 inch of space for the boning to move around in the tube and whip stitch the bone casing onto the lining side of the bodice where you want boning. 

Here is a picture of bone casing in use.  It's the beige channel.

One place where you can obtain bone casing is Grannd Companies.

Due to the closeness of the grommets to the edge of your bodice, you will not be able to a boning channel there, so the lacing edge will tend to have ripples.  You may not like the way that looks.

Gem's suggestion of copying a favorite bodice is an excellent one.  MUCH easier than trying to re-invent the wheel.

isabelladangelo

I'd just make a new one, like Gem said.   There are a ton of great bodice patterns out there.  The best way, I've found, to bone any bodice is to simply have three layers.  You have your fashion fabric(outer layer), your canvas or duck (middle layer), and your lining.  Create the channels for the boning by lining up the lining and the duck.  You might want to baste these two layers together first.  Simply sew straight lines down the lining and the duck that are big enough that you just put the cable ties into them.  Don't keep the cable ties in there though because you'll want to put the fashion layer on.  Bone the bodice when all you have left to do is sew up the waistline of the bodice and then slip the cable ties in.

HannahLeeDee

I've been trying to avoid making a new bodice this year because I am working on losing some weight and I didn't want to put to much money into a bodice that would only fit one season. I have only made three simplicity bodices and I am kind of terrified at making another bodice, but I guess practise makes perfect. :) Is there any way I can make the green bodice a little more supportive?

Thank you for all of your help. It is so nice to have help with all of these projects. I am so happy I found this forum.

gem

I made my bodices from scraps of fabric I already had in my stash.  You need less than a yard of the fashion fabrics, and you can use something inexpensive, like corduroy or twill.  Check the remnants section at your fabric store for some tapestry or upholstery fabric deals.

And if you're losing weight, wait until closer to Fair to do this.  I made a bodice too early last year (why I made 2), and by the time Fair started, it was way too big.  Your current bodice may also be too big--in which case no amount of boning will get it to fit how you want.

HannahLeeDee

Well faire is in about a month (the MN one). How close to the faire do you recomend?

Thanks again for the help.

I think I am going to just going to make one.

gem

I think a month is good.  Even if you're losing really fast, it's hard to lose so much in a month that things don't fit at all.  You might lean toward the snugger side, as you can always lace things a little more loosely, but it's impossible to get a too-big bodice to fit right.

Have fun!