News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Well Met (Renaissance Faires & The American Counterculture)

Started by Lady Nicolette, November 03, 2013, 08:50:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Nicolette

A should-read for all people who have anything to do with the Faires...This is a historical study of the Faires, how the first one(s) came about, the people who created it, the cultural surroundings that have shaped it and changed it over the half century of it's existence.  It explains how many of the continuing arguments about what is authentic, what isn't, should it be family-friendly, should it expand outside of the Renaissance and/or Medieval Eras, arose and continue...discussions of what have become Faire traditions as opposed to historical traditions (ie turkey legs, pretty much at every Faire, certainly not available in Renaissance England).  How the Faire changed culture outside of the Faire as well (The Free Press newspaper began as The Faire Press, for instance).  Highly recommended.  Author:  Rachel Lee Rubin
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Merlin the Elder

It seems to have dropped in price since its initial release. I should try to get one of the profs in the department buy this for me. There are several counter-culture courses that are taught from time-to-time.

I noticed on the Amazon site that Miguel of Don Juan & Miguel wrote one of the reviews. From his review, it may be written with academia in mind rather than the typical pleasure reader.  Did you sense that Lady Nicolette?
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Lady Nicolette

I definitely did, Merlin.  It's actually why I am enjoying it a lot more than any of the other books I've read on the subject...broad scope and presented very thoughtfully.

A little while after posting this part above:   In the section on music from the Faires, who do I find but my first husband, quoted twice, along with mention of "In My Lady's Chamber," as being evidence of a "fantasy medievalism," being hosted and encouraged by the Renaissance Faires.  Very strange feeling, completely unexpected finding.

There are also many people in the book who will be familiar to present-day Faire-goers amongst the performers.   Also found friends who are now known in other ouevres, such as New Vaudeville, who began their careers at Renaissance Festivals... *It's A Small World, After All*

Merlin the Elder

Good deal! I can get the department to buy the book! I'm a state employee, so I don't get paid much...  :o
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Lady Nicolette

I finished it up today...I think it's a really intriquing take on the whole thing.   Certainly goes hand in hand with how I remember the Faires and how they grew.