News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Ummm... "bondage camp"??

Started by BarbarianQueen, November 04, 2013, 12:36:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willworkforgems

As the mother of a male "tween" I would have concerns if R rated/ sexual activity was visible as we move back and forth between the privy, gate, food vendor, etc. when leaving the family/quite camping area. That being said, I would say a few bare booties and free boobies never killed anyone. If you go to SouthBeach Miami, not much difference! At Sherwood our son was free to roam and find other kids to play with. He of course can read so I am sure if there was signage that warned over 21 only, that he would read it and avoid, so kudos for using appropriate signage.
"Love is the solution to every problem"

James Wraith

We camped there all weekend. We showered multiple times and made numerous trips both out of the campgrounds and to the convenience store (near where this was?). I can honestly say that we didn't even know it was there until the drive home when I read this thread.

While I can pretty assuredly say that neither myself nor my better half is interested in this kind of behavior, we are not the type to censor anyone's fun as long as they're being respectful about it. From what almost everyone here has said, you pretty much had to ignore warning signs, and press forward to even run in to this camp. They didn't seem to act disrespectful towards anyone else near them/in the rest of the grounds. Hell, most people here didn't know they existed, and spent a weekend within 1000yd of them.

My 2c, for what it's worth, is live and let live. They posted signage a good ways back. They kept to themselves. They were respectful. If/when they start crossing lines, then take appropriate action against them, like what was done with the ravers.

Trillium

Respect is absolutely key.  While I have no interest in bdsm, I know many who do.  For the most part they are respectful of those with kids, but there are always those few who just don't care and those are the ones who cause issues.  We had an altercation one time with a member of a group who was very angry at us being in "his spot" and how dare us be camped in main camping with a child.  We were at a respectful distance from the group and no one there said anything to us.  Just because we have a child does not mean we want to be out in the middle of no where next to the railroad tracks with a mile walk just to get to faire.  We understand that it will be louder and there is a possibility of adult happenings after dark. We make sure our son is in bed by 930 at the latest.  As long as a bondage camp is properly shielded, that's fine, but be there early to claim your out of the way area and don't set up next a camp that is already there and then warn them of what you are doing.  It doesn't matter if its "your spot" that you use every year on a particular weekend, be there early to claim it or be prepared to adjust your plan.
Got faerie dust?

PollyPoPo

just FYI,

For Trillium,  this spot was in a new area of camping just opened, not a traditional spot for anyone.

For James, this was very close to the Faire entrance, opposite end from where the showers and store are. 

Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Dracconia

This sort of thread is what I love about this community, there are several opinions, respectfully stated and no one feels the need to judge or be rude. <3 for all that have commented!

The only thing I can say is that, I learned my first year camping that the campsite, like faire is full of things that you may or may not want to see. As long as things are done with respect to boundaries, which it sounds like they were, then all is well that ends well.

Respect, give it everything will work out.
PR ~Faire Daughter~
Shake-N-Bake

PollyPoPo

Respect - I think that might have been the original question paraphrased.

If there were already families camped in the area where sexual acts were going to be performed in the open, did the bondage clan cross that line?  Or did they ask the families if they had any objections beforehand?  Or have they become such a large group that they basically do what they want?  Since no one from that group (nor the families who were camped there) has responded, we don't know.
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Breandan

Tossing in my $0.02, since I am known for my subtle and restrained voicing of opinions  ;D

I have been working and attending TRF since '89. I have seen things that have left my inner child scarred, and that takes a LOT, let me tell you, but most of it was in the early to mid 90s. Most were INSIDE faire (a 5'3" 350lb man who had enough hair to convince me Sasquatch was definitely one of his ancestors and was built like a Warhammer 40k dwarf wearing a G-string bikini in an inflatable tub... yeah, that'd make a Shàolín monk run screaming), but I've seen some doozies out in Patrons as well. The slippery slope was long slipped, and I can tell you from personal experience (and participation *whistles innocently*) that things have been MUCH wilder in the past.

Bondage Camp, Raver Haven, Order of the Loquaciously Inebriated Monks, I don't care, so long as they keep it to their camp, show respect, and shut the hell up by 2am so I don't have to groggily and angrily go into their camp and threaten to pull their internal organs out through their nostrils in alphabetical order (seriously- I get grumpy when woken up to "DOO-kah DOO-kah DOO-kah OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ" at 3am). Parents- and I speak as one- are responsible for monitoring their children, so if these groups keep their activities hidden away from common sight, no awkward moments of "Daddy, what's a gimp mask for?" should occur. Now, that being said, if anyone DOES step out of line and put it out there for the public, TRF should be willing to back up the LEOs in busting their butts and hauling them off, both to prevent things from getting out of hand and as a corporate CYA move to prevent TRF, Inc. from getting a reputation second only to Mr. Slippery-Fist's Bar and Grill in San Francisco. It cuts both ways- let them have their fun so long as it's not harming anyone (Mouse excluded, I fully plan on tossing him bound and gagged into their camp with "SPANK ME!" written on a sign pinned to his chest, since fires are such a passe torment for him now  ;) ), but crack down on those who push the lines and are disrespectful to other campers. Trust me, I've seen things you wouldn't believe out there, but it wasn't in people's faces, so it didn't bother me beyond a dire need for eye-bleach.

Seriously, if you think Bondage Camp was bad, picture this in a G-string-

Author, bladesmith, and fuzzy teddybear.

"I've fought my wars and drank my mead in this life, the afterlife for me will be one endless renaissance festival with an old-school tabletop game store the size of a Costco next door ;D " - me

PollyPoPo

Quote from: Breandan on November 05, 2013, 01:45:05 PM
Tossing in my $0.02, since I am known for my subtle and restrained voicing of opinions  ;D

BWWWAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!  Almost made me choke on that one!
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Dracconia

B....he had the longest line of folks to spank him on AHE and all he said was.... huh?

So I fully support such measures in his case!
PR ~Faire Daughter~
Shake-N-Bake

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Quote from: PollyPoPo on November 05, 2013, 11:02:33 AM
just FYI,

For Trillium,  this spot was in a new area of camping just opened, not a traditional spot for anyone.

For James, this was very close to the Faire entrance, opposite end from where the showers and store are.

Complete opposite end of camp... what we call the "negitives".
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Quote from: Dracconia on November 05, 2013, 03:01:01 PM
B....he had the longest line of folks to spank him on AHE and all he said was.... huh?

So I fully support such measures in his case!

But was the flogger ON FIRE? 

Oh, Mouse...
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

SirRichardBear

Well I Also attend Anime conventions and have often wonder how parents explain the people wondering around there in dog collars and leash wear fur cosplay outfits. Of course I also wonder after seeing them what anime I seem to be missing.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

prothos

we have been going to the ref fest for over 10 years but this was the first time to camp. i pulled the  trailer in early. friday morning and picked a spot in the new area right on the road across from the handycap parkng. i set up my tt and got it ready fo
the family's arrival. there was no signs up yet for bondage camp. i was approached late in the day as more of them showed up and was told if i had kids i had to move. i told them there is no reserved parking. when i pulled in there was no one in the area.we got into a bit of an argument and i told them i had no problew with what they were doing but they should hace choosen a more isolated area. The group turned out to be rspectfull and all honestly where less noisy than than other guest. they seemed to go to bead fairly early and did not have loud music or yelling, cheering going on.
they kept to themselves and i did not see anything that wasnt pg rated from my camp.
i say to each his own. they made less noise than the drum circle that was about 100 yards away

BarbarianQueen

DonaCatalina, thank you for getting my original point.
I'm all for "respect" and "freedom", but that would also extend to families who don't want to see an adult woman or man chained to a cross and whipped until their arse is red.
Both of these groups have a right (currently) to use any part if the campground they want. However, at some point in order to keep the peace, these groups may need more help steering clear of each other. If TRF doesn't find a way to gently do so (such as with better signage, more clear designations, descriptions, etc), my worry is that a conflict or clash could occur that would eventually involve the law or a bunch of lawyers.
I say this simply because I don't want another one of our "magical and mystical" places and experiences to get squashed.

By the way, for those who didn't venture over or weren't there ( we DID go over to say hi to some of the camps), this wasn't really a "camp", like camp McLotofus or Phoenix rising, it was much more a Bondage Festival, with anywhere from 20-25 camps participating, spread out over much of the new area.  They had erected a stage and incredibly bright area lights at the very back if the camping area, which I assumed was there main gathering area for group activities, but we didn't venture back that far.

BarbarianQueen

Alrighty then!
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!  (no pun intended...)

Won't be camping this week, but next week, please be on the lookout for our new camp and clan banners, and come camp with us, or at least stop in for an extended stay!

Please offer suggestions as to where the best and most amicable location would be for our new clan - new area, back of the old area, one of the old parking lanes, etc.
Also, make sure to bring something warm, such as a fire pit, burn barrel, etc.  It might be a bit "nippy", ahem...

Here's our new camp banner/warning sign -

Make sure to stop by and keep abreast (ahem) of the goings on in our new camp, though I know with all the established strong camps, we'll be up against some stiff competition (ahem).
There will be no bondage or beatings here - only courtly behavior, good music and lots O' mead! Bums will be thrown out!! (Well, ONE kind of bum, anyway).

Oh, and Terre, please chime in with YOUR suggestion for a safe location.

See you there!