News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Which faire do YOU think best embodies the 'Renaissance' theme, and why?

Started by Rowan MacD, November 12, 2013, 03:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowan MacD

There are now officially hundreds of Renaissance and Medieval themed festivals, Faires and events out there. 
   This topic has been arisen in one form or another, usually inside of another thread or as a side discussion.
   I would like to give the Playtrons a chance to describe their favorite festivals that, even if it's just on specific weekends, in their opinion embodies the feel of the 'original' renaissance faire tradition.

For example:  Hubby and I have visited KCRF and enjoyed the strong Elizabethan theme, the gigs involving actual historical scenarios and scandals and some very colorful and sometimes clownish caricatures of royalty and visiting dignitaries who are there to wait on Queen Elizabeth (who graciously takes the odd exaggerated codpiece and overdone hat into stride).  The cast was very dedicated to staying in character and the court was large and well garbed.
   These things appeal to hubby and I more than an insult comic or contemporary themes disguised as renaissance entertainment.  We're kind of old fashioned that way.  Once a place gets overtly commercial it turns into a caricature of itself, and is not really fun as a renaissance faire anymore.

I plan to finally attend MNRF (hubby has already been) and Bristol in the near future, and I want to know what the faires are like from a Playtron's point of view.  Sort of an insiders guide.

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Lady Nicolette

I have to say the original Faires certainly did...Agoura and Black Point were the best ever.  Of the Faires I've visited, I would have to say that Maryland comes closest, but hearsay is that Sterling is closest in style and substance to the original Faires, although I've not been, I do want to go at some point.
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Lady Nicolette on November 12, 2013, 09:58:15 PM
I have to say the original Faires certainly did...Agoura and Black Point were the best ever.  Of the Faires I've visited, I would have to say that Maryland comes closest, but hearsay is that Sterling is closest in style and substance to the original Faires, although I've not been, I do want to go at some point.
I've heard that Sterling or Bristol do; but I haven't been to either. Scarborough comes pretty close.Although there is a lot of 'backsliding' there as well, just not as much as TRF.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Merlin the Elder

I liked KCRF as well, Rowen, save the corporate ads sprinkled around inside the grounds. We didn't get near as much visibility and interaction with cast there as we do at Scarborough, however.  Scarby does tend to try to live up to its namesake. The size of the cast there is, perhaps, why they can do it so successfully.

Might attend Bristol in the next year or so, as I have relations — and friends — in the general area.

Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Rowan MacD

I'm thinking Bristol will move up on my list too. I've heard lots of positive things from friends who like the more traditional Renaissance Faire experience.
   MNRF get good marks there, as most of the California Faires do.   Already added Scarby and Sherwood to my list If we get down to Tx.
IWG wench #3139 

Lady Renee Buchanan

Since Bristol is my home faire, I wanted to mention something so new visitors won't go "huh?"

Yes, it is a large, well laid out permanent faire.  The buildings are beautiful, and the grounds and landscaping are meticulously kept up.  After attending for 17 years, I can still say that on every wander around the grounds, we find something new and beautiful to admire, whether it be a new flower arrangement, sculpture, or whatever.  Many surprises still!

The Artistic Director and Owner are insistent that cast, vendors, and food places have people that are dressed correctly according to their station and definitely H/A.  Whether it's a hundred degrees or pouring rain, their garb has to be approved.  Two skirts, bodice, chemise, hat for the women, no kilts for the men unless they work in the kilt shop, and appropriate footwear for all.

As for vendors, it is juried, and you have to produce it yourself.  No bringing in junk from China, or mass produced items.  And it shows in the quality of the products.  We buy presents and also stuff for us that are one of a kind, or definitely not something would find anywhere else than in a store that crafts it's own products.  All of the above lends to a faire that is more like what faires used to be (we started in the late 70's, much like Lady Nicolette, so we've seen the evolution, too).

Having said all of this, now comes the reality.  Bristol is a business, and the owners want to make money, so a lot of the "whatever brings them through the gates" mentality is present.  As for authenticity, we have Queen Elizabeth and her court running around the lanes amongst Robin Hood, Maid Marion, And Little John.  Shall we say about a 300 year time span difference?  The Fantasticals, the fae, aren't anything historically accurate, and when we first attended, they weren't there.  For non-verbal creatures, you would be surprised at how many people follow them around taking  pictures and watching to see what they will do next, like climb a tree.  They are very good in what they do.

And my favorite (sarcasm).  Bristol has designated a whole weekend as Steampunk Weekend, with their own costume contest, parades, special music.  And this summer, there were some new shops, wholly Steampunk.

So there definitely is a juxtaposition in the faire atmosphere and the whatever goes atmosphere.  We take from faire what we like and ignore the rest.  We love Bristol and when the gates open after a long winter, we feel like we are finally home.

But I did want to mention the stuff I did, because if anybody came expecting it to be 100% like faire in the past, or H/A, they may be disappointed.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Lady Nicolette

Lady Renee, you know Bristol is on my list of faires to see...I'm impressed that they do as much as they do in the spirit of the old faires (see my post in the Steampunk thread re merchants etc), makes me even more sure it will be one that I will get to! 

Rowan MacD

^^ what she said^^. 
   I think all faires that make the effort to at least respect the spirit of the original Pleasure faire are worth visiting. 

Renaissance faires can be fun with or without drunks and nudity; but if you have both they need to be segregated.  Different weekends, different crowds.

During the last few years as our little local faire has grown larger and more popular;  we have had feedback from both sides:
  We have the parents who were hesitant to bring their kids to faire here because the only previous experience they have had with a renaissance festival was a visit to one of the bigger and much less inhibited venues. 
  They are pleasantly surprised to find out there is a kinder and gentler version, and they come back every year on the Romance and Magic weekend. 

The other is the rowdies who think every Renaissance festival should be a 'Bewbs & Beer' fest.  There are a few who gripe about how lame our fest is,  along with our lack of anything to look at more risque than a belly dancer, since we have a strict clothing code for anyone coming on site on the non pirate weekends.
   Thankfully these guys (and some girls) are in the distant minority, they usually get drunk quickly and leave, or arrive drunk and decide they don't want to stay. 
   Our producers have started a separate Pirate fest for them in the fall.  I hear it's pretty loose, and I don't attend.

IWG wench #3139 

Lady Nicolette

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Lady Nicolette on November 18, 2013, 08:54:02 PM
This is a great subject, Rowan...Thanks for bringing it up.
I figured I should start a dedicated thread-since the subject comes up repeatedly in other topics.  It seems to be a subject we like to discuss, and I can use the information to help me put together a list of faires worth checking out when we finally have the time.  I would like to avoid spending the time and money to get there, just to leave after an hour or two of trying to find the Renaissance in the Carnival. 

Hubby is firmly Old School-He feels that Renaissance faires should be about the Renaissance, preferably Elizabethan and as HA as possible.
   I am quite a bit more liberal, but I go to faire to immerse in the middle ages, not Mardi Gras or a Comic Con.
  I have already decided I will attend only certain weekends. 
  The rest can be what they are.  If it helps the faire make money, I'm good with that.
    I just want to be certain I'm going to have a reasonably 'renaissance faire' type experience when I go.
IWG wench #3139 

Gauwyn of Bracknell

I've never met a faire I did not have fun at. 

For what it is worth each year we make it to Scarby, KCRF, Minnesota, Colorado and Bristol and also support our local faires (DM, Amana and Dubuque).  For cast interaction, Scarby is hard to beat.  For grounds/ambiance - Bristol and KCRF.  They all seem to have things we really enjoy and we just ignore any bad stuff (really not much at all).  Also not a big fan of the out of place costumes, but not hardcore for HA either.  (Real decisive - eh?!?)
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Rowan MacD

We would love to go to more festivals-but we just don't have thetime anymore to travel all over the U.S. for faire.
   Hubby's in school (history major)  and I work 6 days a week for 2 weeks out of every month.   I don't even use all my vacation days each year, and that's usually for emergencies.   
   That will change in the near future.  I'm getting tired of handing back personal days at the end of every fiscal year, and I'm starting to get burnt out.   I'm planning a few visits to more distant festivals in the next couple of years as a get away from this area.
We have reduced  faire attendance from around 20 days per season to 8, and we concentrate on the nearby and 'home' fairs like NRF, DMRF and Siouxland. 
    We do Iowa and Riverssance if the weather is nice, since we really love the ambiance at those little events.
IWG wench #3139 

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Gauwyn of Bracknell on November 19, 2013, 06:52:57 PM
...For what it is worth each year we make it to Scarby, KCRF, Minnesota, Colorado and Bristol ...
Do you know which weekend you will be at Scarby? We're definitely scheduled for opening weekend, but might be able to squeeze another visit in, depending on when.

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on November 20, 2013, 01:07:00 PM
Quote from: Gauwyn of Bracknell on November 19, 2013, 06:52:57 PM
...For what it is worth each year we make it to Scarby, KCRF, Minnesota, Colorado and Bristol ...
Do you know which weekend you will be at Scarby? We're definitely scheduled for opening weekend, but might be able to squeeze another visit in, depending on when.

Historically it is usually later April (around my day of birth - 27th)
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

SirRichardBear

I know Scarborough works hard at keeping to the Renaissance Theme most of the cast if not historical characters are based on historical types.  And many of the cast bits are based on history.

Sherwood does a good job of keeping to the Robin Hood theme and legend it is debateable how much of that is history and how much is myth.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

LadyFae

I love my Minnesota Festival, but we are NOT historically accurate!  We are definately more fantasy based.
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Rowan MacD

Since you are closest to us, you are already on our list  ;D
  We have had a number of MNRF cast and dedicated Playtrons meander down our way recently to see what we have to offer, so we will return the favor. 
  We hope to include some genealogy research while we are in the area.
IWG wench #3139 

scarletnyx

Although I've only been to two faires, Sherwood will always have a very, very special place in my heart. It's small, yet strong and varied. They aren't bulldozing nature; rather, they are working with nature and using the trees and natural aspects to enhance their faire. The vendors are all fantastic, the cast is so caring and "into" their roles ( and I may have a teensy crush on the Sheriff...  ;D ), and the sort of people it attracts are kind, genuine, and loving.

I love TRF and I bet I will love other "larger" faires, but I do like the smaller ones.
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

Merlin the Elder

I would have mentioned Sherwood, but it's not Renaissance. If the question was "which faire best embodies its period theme, I would say Sherwood, hands down!

Rowan MacD

^^ that's probably closer to what I mean^^. 
  'Renaissance' Festivals now days cover just about all the time periods up to the year 1600.
   Celtic, Norse, Middle Ages as well as Renaissance. 
   I guess the real question is 'What flavor do you like, and how strong do you want it?'
  I like mine strongly Elizabethan, with a touch of fantasy, and a splash of (period) ribald humor.

I think the ideal commercially successful faire should be able to pull off a very good 'Hollywood' version of a Renaissance festival, which is, I think, what the 'danes, and most Playtrons want and expect to see.   
  "History, but with toilet paper' ;D
IWG wench #3139 

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on December 03, 2013, 07:18:03 AM
I would have mentioned Sherwood, but it's not Renaissance. If the question was "which faire best embodies its period theme, I would say Sherwood, hands down!

If it is 'faire' in a 'period' theme, then the Iowa State Fair (the period being fat-grotesque) - where you can get ANYTHING on a stick (fried or not), including beer on a stick!   :P
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Merlin the Elder

Jack Daniel's...through my nose...that's what you did to me, Gauwyn, damn thee.

Lady Nicolette

Orphena

I like this thread!

Rowan - I'm with you - I think that we should have a clear understanding of what to expect when we visit a faire.  A couple of years ago, for personal use, I started a big chart that listed the "big" faires, including things like how many stages, how many vendors, how many years it had been in operation, and the time period it claimed to have, along with ticket prices, operating dates, and the like. It is now out of date, but I still take a peek at it from time to time. The trouble is that all the information comes from the websites, and at times the promotion team's idea of what era the faire operates in, and the actual flavour of the cast (and costumes!) are a little different. It is one of the reasons that I value this forum so much - so I can ask the questions of the people who attend - but everyone goes to faire for different (all excellent!) reasons!

In Ontario (Canada), we only have small faires - faires set up for a single weekend. Usually these faires have a very specific theme - Over the course of the summer, we do medieval (Education days for school put on by the same folks who run Piratefest), Renaissance (Woodstock Ontario - "Oxford"), Fantasy (Enchanted Ground, Guelph), Pirate (Piratefest, Milton), and Medieval (Waterloo Medieval Faire). Each has a different board of directors, and a different flavour, so it is difficult to judge which one does it's era "the best".

When we travel stateside, we are always seeking that flavour, that thing that makes us feel like we are elsewhen.

My preference, like yours is Elizabethan, but I'll play when and where I can. I just like to know which garb to pack!

I do keep notes on which faires we visited and what we liked, so I can share for the more northern faires if you want!

Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

Rowan MacD

Please share!
   Anyone headed up north (when it gets a lot warmer) will know which festivals have what; and your opinions on the offerings.
IWG wench #3139 

Orphena

Ok – please keep in mind that these are my personal reflections of the faire, as I experienced it. Others may have an entirely different opinion! Things that are the most important to me at faire are costumes, royal court, ambiance of buildings / lanes, and friendly people to interact with. M'lord and I dress (and act) as visiting nobles, willingly interact with playtrons, cast, and visitors alike. Sorry, I have less comments on things like musical acts and jousts than some may like! We generally arrive for the gate show, and stay until the gates close. I am trying to keep these within the guidelines of the topic at hand – the "Renaissance Feel" of the faire – but if anyone needs details on where we stayed and what we ate, I've got that too! These are in no particular order.

Sterling Renaissance Festival – Visited August, 2012 – State of New York
This faire has a very varied terrain, so comfortable shoes are recommended – it is built on the side of a hill, with part of the faire being high, and part lower. Cast was made up of Queen Elizabeth, with a small court - I believe the queen had 2 ladies in waiting, a visiting princess, and a few men from court. Village cast was about 20 people. "God Save the Queen" included the entire cast curtseying / bowing every time – a very nice spectacle. Day began with introduction of all characters, nicely done. Day ended with a very nice pub sing, lots of banter between songs. Villagers did an excellent job, very approachable, easy to interact with. The Queen played a game of forfeits in the street with her court, which presented further ways to interact. Street bits were entertaining, frequent, and in character, always something to watch. Lots of trees for shade, and shelter from rain, lots of places where different sorts of cast could play. I would have liked to see a larger court, but the entire cast worked hard and knew their stuff. Didn't spend a lot of time with the local Rennies, and as dressed playtrons, we were in the minority, but those we interacted with were very friendly.

Pennsylvania Renaissance Festival – Visited twice – once in September 2007, and once in October 2012 – each time with a different rennie couple.  These reflections are mostly from our 2012 trip.  PA faire is an 11am start, so no need to rush in the morning. The faire is on the same property as a vineyard, and has delightful grounds – lots of streets and alleys, a huge jousting arena, complete with lots of benches (but be there early if you want to sit!). Lots of interesting, personable vendors, good acts, lots of playtrons dressed. Our 2007 trip I remember the cast being large, and interacting with many of them – William Shakespeare had a sonnet "just for me", but this trip in 2012 I found the cast more difficult to find / interact with. The Queen was busy with other things, and I did not manage to interact with her, despite watching for an opportunity to do so. We did interact with some of the lesser nobility, but there was nothing notable that stands out. Delightful faire, cast stayed in character for the most part, could be a little more approachable, but I do remember watching a banquet lunch / scene that was quite historical and enjoyable – their joust and pub sing are spectacles in and of themselves!

St. Louis Faire – Visited May 2009 (on our Honeymoon!)
This faire has a different feel to it – many guilds, and the court is a French court – which was a refreshing change!  Time period was closer to Tudor than Elizabethan, but Elizabethans will not feel left out. Costumes were excellent, cast was delightful. Well done, all around! When the queen heard (faire scuttlebutt) that we were visiting from Canada, and on our honeymoon, she sent a servant (how very proper!) to invite us to join the royals in their pavilion for the jousts. It was so...historical, gracious, and thoughtful that it made that trip so memorable. The cast played with French phrases, (but they only knew a few!), the dancing master taught actual dances from the period, the vendors were friendly, all the guilds had a specific focus, and the grounds were beautiful. The joust included many stunts we hadn't seen before – someone's eye ended up on a dagger! If they were closer to us, we would be regulars!

Maryland Renaissance Festival – Visited 2011. Went with friends who knew many of the vendors as Maryland Renaissance Festival and Ontario Renaissance Festival (closed over a decade ago) were run by the same owners. The grounds were lovely – lots of trees (Glorious in the fall!), enough hills to keep some mystery, but not so many that your feet hurt. The year we went it was to be Henry the 8th and Catherine Parr, with Mary de Guise visiting. Although I saw King Henry, and although I tried to follow the intrigue, I could not have told you who was who. I don't recall any cast interaction with us, which was disappointing, and although the story sounded interesting on the web page, I could not follow enough of it to tell you much about it. A nice enough faire, and large, we just cannot say it was our favourite faire to visit!

Michigan Renaissance Faire – Becoming a regular trip! Michigan is the 2nd closest USA  faire to us, and so far we have visited about 3 times (2007, 2011, 2013). I'm trying to convince m'lord it should be annual! There a many lanes to explore, and the cast is friendly, and the playtrons are so welcoming! The Queen is gracious, somehow striking the perfect balance between being clearly the queen, and yet, easy to approach. Last year she stopped me in the lanes and we chatted about gowns – choice of fabric, etc, and still maintained character throughout it all! The costumes are very well done – many of the cast must supply their own, and station in the shire is easy to recognize. The cast plays very well, always looking to invite others in. The pub has a flavour of it's own, where noble ladies might rub elbows with pirates and the like, and not feel out of place! Very homey feeling, enough pomp for the royals, enough fun for the common folk.

New York Renaissance Festival (Near Tuxedo, New York) – Visited September 2013 (closing weekend). This is an interesting mix of Queen Elizabeth and Robin Hood. Grounds are lovely, with a cast of Fae having their own "court" of sorts. Queen Elizabeth arrives on a barge, and was mixing business with her trip, trying to find an heir. There were some liberties taken with history – there was one character who seemed to be a sort of "son" to Queen Elizabeth, but a nice varied cast. Costuming was very nice, easy to see who was who. The Sheriff was just evil enough, his "thugs" were definitely oppressing the peasantry, and vendors and cast alike interacted. Village was well laid out, and although I didn't manage to interact with the queen, I did help save Robin Hood from an island that he had been imprisoned on. Nice ambiance, villagers looked for ways to interact.
Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles