News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Help! Muddy hem on wool cloak

Started by gem, November 22, 2013, 01:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

Milord has a genuine Fellowship cloak from Stansborough, the makers of the cloaks in LOTR. It cost a pretty penny (tho' not what they're charging now, thank goodness!). He's been wearing it for several years, and we mostly clean it by steaming it in the dryer. This season, though, the hem got pretty muddy, and I'm not sure what to do.

The weave on the cloak is very loose--it doesn't look like it's been fulled at all, so I'm hesitant to subject it to actual washing... but I'm not sure how else to clean it.

Recommendations? My access to a skilled dry cleaner is pretty iffy.

Gramercy!!

CenturiesSewing

What I would do:

Spray bottle with water, spritz and let it sit, with a clean towel on the front and back start blotting off the mud. This will take several towels but is a very careful way to spot clean it. May need to repeat the process a few times.

If you need to use soap use plain cheap conditioner, put some in another spray bottle along with some water and mix. Lightly spray the area, let sit, more blotting. Rinse it in the same way, plain water more blotting.

isabelladangelo

Rather than paper towels, I'd use a washcloth.   But yeah, same thing.   ;D

mollymishap

You could also try vacuuming some of the mud or dirt off using the narrow wand that's used for tight corners before doing as Centuries & Isabella suggested.  I'm assuming it's dry by now & either vacuuming or even beating--gently ;) --some of the loose dirt off before you re-wet it might help some.

PollyPoPo

If it is real mud (not mixed with engine oil and such), you might try a dry hair shampoo.  Just test it somewhere inconspicuous first, of course.  I've seen it used on fluffy sweater type things, so might work.
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Rowan MacD

I think in period they did  pretty much as most of the advice above:
   Dry thoroughly, brush or shake off dirt, then spot treat stains with plain water or a weak soap and dry flat.  You can try Woollite.

I plan to try that dry shampoo suggestion in the future.  It may be useful on fragile trim....
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Kate XXXXXX

Dry thoroughly.  Hammer the mud to dust.  Hoover it off/out of the fabric.  If the V&A do this, you can. And if it's washable, then wash it.