News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

First Time to Scarborough

Started by Traveler, March 14, 2014, 10:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traveler

I'm trying to make plans to attend Scarborough Faire on May 17, with a close friend and her young son in tow.  It will be my first time at Scarborough and both of their very first faire.  I'm looking for any advice I can get.  Areas of the faire that wouldn't be fun for a young kid, what kind of $$$ to bring to make it enjoyable without breaking the bank, what are the best options for food throughout the day, anything at all that will help me make this a great trip.  I'd appreciate any help I can get.
May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back.  May the sun shine warm upon your face, and the rains fall soft upon your fields.  And until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of His hand. - A Simple Traveler.

Traveler

Oh, and another thing I just thought of.  What is the weather likely to be like?  I know it will be the start of summer in Texas, so plan for heat, but I could use some tips on how to dress appropriately for it.  It's not likely for any of us to be in costume, so nothing to worry about in that regard, but I'm just curious for recommendations on how to beat the heat.
May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back.  May the sun shine warm upon your face, and the rains fall soft upon your fields.  And until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of His hand. - A Simple Traveler.

Merlin the Elder

Plan first on it being hot. Sunscreen a must.  Dress accordingly (unless there is a rare cold-front...it has happened).

You'd better bring U.S. $$$, as they take little else  ;)   I've yet to be to any faire that I didn't drop a lot of money. Some folks I know go back to their car for lunch, and that saves some bucks, but I like to stay with the faire fair. My advice is carry more money than you might need, without blowing your budget.

If it is going to be hot, I'd recommend the Holly Field in the morning, which is to the left (south) when you enter the gates. Most of the kid-related stuff is in the Pecan Grove, which is to the right (north).  The Lady Ivanhoe stage would likely be the only stage that would be deemed inappropriate for young children. Great acts, but for a more mature audience.

I find all the food that I've tried to be pretty good, my favourites are at the Rose & Crown ($$), which is a full-service pub, and I enjoy the German food selections at the Queens Kitchen ($).
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Traveler

Thanks Merlin.  I was expecting to need a fair bit (or is that "faire" bit?  8) ) in the money department.  I remember my trip to TRF wasn't exactly cheap, and I didn't think Scarborough would be much different.  Also, is there a particular reason you recommend Holly Field in the morning if it's hot?  Is there more shade or something on the north side of the faire?

Also, thanks for the notice about the Lady Ivanhoe stage, I'll keep that in mind.  And the Queens Kitchen, as German food is definitely right up my alley.

Merlin the Elder

Yeah, it seems to me to be sunnier on the south end, although there are some nice shady spots. Scarborough is not as big as TRF, but doing it in a single day, you'll need to plan. How old is the wee one?

Traveler

The wee one is 2.  He'll be almost three in May.

Merlin the Elder

Petting zoo... near the jousting in the Pecan Grove.  Also have llama and pony rides around there. If he's on foot, you're going to wear him out, so a frequent rest will be mandatory!  If he's still in a stroller, so frequent rest for you will be mandatory.  Fool Hearty would be a good show for the tyke.

Scarborough is a wonderful faire. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Traveler

Yeah, I already noted the petting zoo and was planning on including it.  And as far as I know he's mostly on his feet, so we'll be keeping our eyes open for good places to rest.  Thanks again for all the help.

raevyncait

Overall, Pecan Grove is the most naturally shady section of the site. Holly Field does have some trees, and is more shaded than Crown Meadow (center section). Most of the stages are reasonably kid-friendly, save for the pub stages where Iris & Rose and Arthur Greenleaf Holmes are. Pecan grove is a little more kid-geared, with the petting zoo, a small playground, the carousel, the maypole, and the Fool Hearty show. Sunblock, a water bottle, cash (merchandise vendors often take cards, but the food vendors mostly don't, although there are ATMs located in several places.)
At that point in the season, I'd also recommend a couple of those neck bands that have gel crystals in them for cooling purposes, wet them down and they're amazingly effective at cooling off a grumpy child.  In the past, if you have your own vessel, many of the drink booths will fill the vessel with ice at little ($.50) or no charge, although that could always change.
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Traveler

Thanks, raevyncait.  Yeah, I've been looking at the map on the website and do agree that Pecan Grove does look like it would be the most fun for the little one.  And thanks particularly for the tip about the neck bands, I'd completely forgotten about those things.  I'll have to see about finding a couple before May rolls around.

raevyncait

I keep my neck things in a ziploc baggie, in my cooler behind the shoppe in which I work, but I've also had them in a ziploc that's inside a second ziploc that I could keep some ice in, for those times when I can't have access to a cooler.
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist