News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A couple of questions about Sherwood...?

Started by BarbarianQueen, November 25, 2013, 08:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarbarianQueen

HI!
We're hoping to get to visit Sherwood this year for the first time, can camp as well.  Could I ask a couple of quesitons of the Sherwood Veterans here on the forum?

* How has attendance been?  Has it been increasing each year? What are the most attended weekends?
* How navigable are the grounds? harder than TRF? need different shoes or boots?
* For the pre-season meetings/camping - do people  come in garb for the pub events?
* HOw does the camping differ from TRF?
* much Fantasy or Barbarian persona's there?

Ha, I'm pumping too hard for info, I know, but just wanting to find out how to prepare for our trip!

Merlin the Elder

LOTS of fantasy personae.

Attendance has been growing each year, based on our experience, but we only go opening weekend each year (long trip). Unlike most folks, I suppose, we actually prefer a lesser attended weekend.

I haven't actually paid much attention to number of barbarians, but it would seem to me to be more accurate to the period than for Henry VIII period.

Camping is in the woods, basically, but the clans have cleared their areas. (not first-hand info).

We can't travel for the work weekends because of distance.

The grounds are not too bad for navigation, unless you are physically challenged. Hill up from the front to the back, but if you've ever been to Colorado faire, it's a cakewalk in comparison.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

PollyPoPo

Things to keep in mind about Sherwood:

It's held in February/March in Central Texas. That means weather could be freezing, raining, snowing, bright sun, wind, broiling heat, or water sucking dry air, but there are many warm spring days with a morning haze giving way to dappled sunlight through the trees in the Faire.

The front parking lot has no trees. 

Some stalwart people go barefoot; I wear boots.  The Faire was cut from a wooded landscape of mostly cedar.  A brook runs through it; sometimes with water; often dry.  But there is at least one bridge where one may find trolls if one looks closely enough.

There are no paved or cobble stone walkways.  There are some highways through the forest which have been packed down by pilgrims and travelers from all corners of the world.  Crusaders mingle with Saracens.  Fawns and fairies skip along.  Pirates and barbarians alike frequent the drinking places. 

The trees still grow wild, pushing up roots to trip an unwary stroller-by; but the lords of the land try to keep them in check.

The attendance has been increasing each year.  The very first weekend almost five years ago, the lords were surprised when about three times as many people walked through the gates than they had expected.  Each year the first weekend, Spring Break weekend, and the last weekend seem to have the most visitors.  But even the most dark and dreary days and nights of the Texas winter will find fires lit throughout the campgrounds.   

The travelers are not packed as tightly as at TRF ... yet.  Each year we are greeted with new buildings and comings and goings.  There is still untouched forest beyond the tall fences where new villages will grow.

Gathering weekends people come in all manner of dress.  Most are there to work and wear long pants and heavy shirts for clearing brushy areas or chopping wood.  Some men dress in kilts, but working kilts, not the fine garb for Faire.  Evening pot-luck might find pirates and ladies of the village in dress and apron, but few of the aristocracy ever attend in fine garb.  Cloaks are seen due to the chill in the area, not for display. 

As for garb during faire, it is always a family friendly faire, but I did see Adam and Eve there one year, garbed in leaves.  It was one of the rather warm days. 

Hopefully one of the lords of the Faire might chime in here.
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

rengypsy

thanks for all the questions.  thanks to sherwoodians who have answered most of the inquiries.

sherwood is organic.  it is patron-focused...from its inception.

it is simpler, more authentic to the period we aim to represent.  not perfect, but moving in the right direction.

we have experienced an estimated  15% increase per year in attendance.  we will top 80k this year. 

busy weekends are about 5k for saturday and 4k for sunday. one saturday, we topped 7k.

faire sits on 23 acres and is part of a 161 acre area faire utilizes for parking, camping, admin and future expansion.

gatherings are a means to keep us together on off season.  we like each other.  sherwood is more than a faire business--its a community, as well.

camping is primitive--no electrical hook-ups.  65% of camping is clan camping.  35% is open/general camping.  those are not scientific percentages...but rather my estimation.  though we are expanding general camping for this season.

we usually have between 700-1100 camping during a weekend.  camping experience is great.  no raving teens.  but very cool campfire parties.

garb is good at all times.  the majority don't wear garb at gatherings.  but some where garb all the time.

we love authenticity.  fantasy fits because of the high levels of superstition in the middle ages.  barbarians are present too.

hope to have you join us.

rengypsy
it's all about the journey and the people we choose to make the journey with

Norfolk

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on November 25, 2013, 09:05:27 PM
The grounds are not too bad for navigation, unless you are physically challenged. Hill up from the front to the back, but if you've ever been to Colorado faire, it's a cakewalk in comparison.

;D
Just call me "Your Grace"

Merlin the Elder

BQ—may I call you that?—you will find Sherwood to be unique in many ways. Although it is not my home faire, it feels like home when we go. I'm not sure how to describe that.

As Polly said, there are some places where a root may try to grab you and throw you to the ground, but it is true to its namesake—Sherwood Forest. Watch your step as you would traveling through any wooded area.

I have yet to hear of anyone not liking Sherwood Forest. I think you will find it warm and welcoming!

Johnny Stache

I have a few questions as well and or comments.       Good to hear the general camp grounds are being expanded. I've seen the postings on the book of face pertaining to the construction of "sherwood hall" looks fabulous. I have heard that karmadogma will not be in the greenwood this season BUT Circa Paleo will be for spring break wknd. Can we expect any other new acts and or new performers this upcoming season? Has anyone (meaning Zane and others in charge of in faire events) thought about my pub crawl suggestion? And finally is the Dec gathering in fact an open job faire and just who will be hiring I.e who do I need to impress if so? -Johnny Skald benign twin of Johnny Stache. 
"I'm a rambler I'm a gambler, I'm a long way from home, and them that don't like me can leave me alone. I'll eat when I'm hungry, I'll drink when I'm dry, and if the Loki don't kill me, I'll live till I die!!"

PollyPoPo

(BQ - I like that, Merlin.  Special just for the Barbarian Queen.)

BQ - I sent PM earlier, not sure if you saw it.

Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Hyle_av_Klo

If you ever made it to Old Excal (at Rocky Hill Ranch in Smithville) it is a lot like that in atmosphere but imagine if the entire faire and camping happened up "the hill" in the wooded sections instead of in a pasture and was noticeably larger in all those aspects. "Organic" and "community" are good words to describe it to those that haven't. Even spread out into clans and general people will make treks out or situp and welcome campers that are trekking about to see what mischief awaits.

The camping really differs in how wooded it is. You can walk around a corner from one camp and find new camps which attempt to be separate from their neighbors but still open and inviting. The clans have been granted lands to make their own. They are responsible to use it regularly, maintain it (ie develop it into a campsite and ensure it is not looking like a trash heap), and follow the rules of the realm.
Hyle
High Council of The Claw

Aldri bryte den fred som gode og sanne menn gjør mellom deg og andre.

KiltedPrivateer

The "... separate from their neighbors ..." is a camp ground design, not a clan decision.  When the camp ground was originally planned, the clans were to have a ten foot buffer between them.  Over time however, some of the buffers have been reduced to make more room or burned in fire pits. 

I don't believe the new clan areas had the same rule, but I can't say for certain as I haven't had the opportunity to walk out by the new camps.
Member of Clan Procrastination
Crew of the Procrastinator
Lover of Lady Kitara

PollyPoPo

There have been new open camping areas added each year.  I do not know what might have been changed since last year, but there was a huge increase in the size of open camping last year, with a designated area for tents only, no generator, quiet camping.  It seemed to be well received.

The original clan areas are better defined than the new ones because of the way they were planned, like KP said.  The first clan areas were concentrated in a circle area, surrounded by a rock road.

Some of the newer clan holdings are still "in process" with the clans creating not so much barriers as defining edges between camps.  The old clan areas change a bit each year with decorations and such.

One thing that distinguishes Sherwood from TRF is that clan camping etiquette is a bit more defined.  By having the clan reserved areas identified by barriers, fences, ropes, flags, whatever, it makes it easier for visitors to find their way around and not just blundering through other people's campsites. 

Some of what look like camp roads are actually clan created.  The clan paid for the bulldozer and driver to clear the road.  It is part of their reserved clan space and so marked.  If there are barriers stopping traffic on a road, it is most likely a service road or a road within a clan area.

Most clans have an identifiable entrance, a front gate so to speak, with the clan's name on a sign, flag, outlined within a fence structure.  Many have their fires positioned so as to welcome strangers, but have sleeping and cooking tents out of walk traffic. 

There are roads, rough as they are, with signage, identifying open camping, clan camping, and service roads. Mike Pullen, the General Camp Manager, tries to post a camp area map each year, keeping it as up to date as possible, showing new clan areas as they develop.     

Some newcomers try to go through one clan's camp to another.  Not a good idea, first because it is reserved by specific clans; secondly, while it may look like you could get through, there could well be uncleared brush between them that will trip one up. 

And, if (as we have watched people do after we warn them not to go in a certain direction) you should run upon a metal fenceline, 6' tall, do not try to follow it thinking to find more camping.  It divides patron from participant camping.  Patrons are not allowed in participant camping.  You would have a very long walk along that fenceline with no gateway.
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

moonshine jeff

i have heard the campground are not really suitable for large rv's (i have a 29 footer) are there plans to have an area for larger rv's in the future?

BarbarianQueen

Well, if i can get some Sunday's off, Clan Dragonborn would love to come give Sherwood and camping there a try! Or, if we can figure out how to make a Friday-Saturday trip work. I just will NOT look forward to the three hour drive back to SW Houston AFTER camping and a long day at Faire  :P

SO...i don't know how "clannish" the clans are, but if anybody is up for guests during the big weekends, let us know!  I would hate to drive all the way there and be stuck camping out in the middle of nowhere, missing all the festivities!

Wait...Austin is a really "free spirited" place - maybe Sherwood would allot a small permanent place for Camp NK&DD  ;D
Might bring in more patrons.

PyroMaster

One other things about roads in the camping area is that if a road appears to be blocked or roped off, it is probably for a very good reason. There are areas of deep sand and impassable obsticles in those woods (I have pulled a lot of folks out of them), so please do not cross a clearly marked barricade.
Do not burden yourself with the secrets of scary people.

mpullen

Quote from: PyroMaster on December 08, 2013, 10:17:38 PM
One other things about roads in the camping area is that if a road appears to be blocked or roped off, it is probably for a very good reason. There are areas of deep sand and impassable obsticles in those woods (I have pulled a lot of folks out of them), so please do not cross a clearly marked barricade.

Also, please do not try and drive over any logs blocking the roads. Believe it or not, we have had at least two individuals try over the years.

Merlin the Elder

Mike, someone was asking about RVs in another thread. Is there still a place for the big ones?

SirRichardBear

Quote from: mpullen on December 09, 2013, 08:55:48 AM
Also, please do not try and drive over any logs blocking the roads. Believe it or not, we have had at least two individuals try over the years.

Oh I beleive it I know off roaders logs blocking a road isn't a barrier its an invite a challenge, something that just must be tried. 
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

GNASloth

My wife, son and I have attended Sherwood several times over the last couple of years, and we love it!  This year, my wife and I purchased FoF passes and intend to make good use of them including camping.

Which brings me to my questions. I see there is a good amount of the camp areas set aside for clan camping.  How much room is there for individual camping typically? Does it fill up quick? We have a two room tent and my truck, so should not take much room to set up.

Sherwood has become our home faire.  This last year we made it to Scarby and TRF (first time!), in addition to SWFF and even the Celtic Festival.  Sherwood just always has the right "feel" and we like the smaller crowds and size. We are both looking forward to this season!

mpullen

Okay, let's see if I can address the "couple of questions"

Yes, we have reserved areas for established clans/groups. They are charged with maintaining cleanliness and order within their areas. Last year we added another loop road and the available space was claimed by about seven groups. I had nine groups on the waiting list, but two didn't show at the land rush. This weekend, the campgrounds were filled with the noise of chainsaws clearing dropped trees and bulldozer clearing and levelling land.

We have a General/Open campgrounds, where anything from a single person to a large group can set up their camp for the weekend. This campgrounds is divided into two areas, with a line of trees separating them. As you first enter, you will see a large area. This is the "rowdy" area, where most of the folks who like to party heavy are located. Beyond that is the Family/Quiet camping area.

The soil in the "rowdy" area is fairly packed, with the central area being well packed. That is the area where RVs and large travel trailers can set up. Outside that central area are various shaded areas.

The Family/Quiet camping area has a gravel access road, but the parking/camping areas are loose sugar sand, so don't drive in too far. We are clearing additional spaces in this area, so it should hold at least double the number of campers than last year. In addition, we are cutting new access roads that will about triple the campgrounds area. That should be available in the 2015 season.

Bring shovels and rakes to level the sand.

There will be a Campgrounds Rules handout (with a map on the back) at the campgrounds security booth, plus I make a large size map that is posted at the Security Booth.

Any other questions?

PollyPoPo

Yes, yes, MikeP, another question.

Could the rules and map be posted here as well, or a link maybe? 

Friends who only guest camp with clan once or twice a season have a tendency to get lost (even if there was only one new road added last year). 
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Merlin the Elder

Mike, if you'll email the file to me, I'll host it and post a link here.  I'll PM an eddress to you.

mpullen

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on January 21, 2014, 11:03:16 AM
Mike, if you'll email the file to me, I'll host it and post a link here.  I'll PM an eddress to you.

Sent you files for: Participants Campground Map, Patron's Campgrounds Map, Participant's Handbook, Participant's Campgrounds Handout, and Patron's Campgrounds Handout.

I was able to post the maps on the Facebook page, but couldn't post the Handbooks, as they are Word Docx or PDF files.

Merlin the Elder

I have the following files hosted and available as needed:
2014 Participants Handbook (3.7M pdf)
2014 Participants Campground Handout (335k pdf) (11x17 inch format)
2014 Participants Map (2.1M jpeg)

2014 Patrons Campground Handout (390k pdf) (11x17 inch format)
2014 Patrons Campgrounds Map (3.4M jpeg)

FreyBjorn

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on January 22, 2014, 06:12:59 AM
I have the following files hosted and available as needed

Thanks your Wizardliness!
There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R. Tolkien

Crimson

Mike, what is required as a sign stating I'm FoF pass holder?  I set up my pop up last weekend in rogues camp.
Lady Crimson Cadena

Clan of the Celtic Rogues
TRF
Sherwood Forest Faire (Home faire)

"I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then" - Alice

mpullen

Quote from: Crimson on January 22, 2014, 01:57:05 PM
Mike, what is required as a sign stating I'm FoF pass holder?  I set up my pop up last weekend in rogues camp.

We have "official" tags, which we will hand out opening weekend.