News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A couple of questions about Sherwood...?

Started by BarbarianQueen, November 25, 2013, 08:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin the Elder

Mike, someone was asking about RVs in another thread. Is there still a place for the big ones?
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

SirRichardBear

Quote from: mpullen on December 09, 2013, 08:55:48 AM
Also, please do not try and drive over any logs blocking the roads. Believe it or not, we have had at least two individuals try over the years.

Oh I beleive it I know off roaders logs blocking a road isn't a barrier its an invite a challenge, something that just must be tried. 
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

GNASloth

My wife, son and I have attended Sherwood several times over the last couple of years, and we love it!  This year, my wife and I purchased FoF passes and intend to make good use of them including camping.

Which brings me to my questions. I see there is a good amount of the camp areas set aside for clan camping.  How much room is there for individual camping typically? Does it fill up quick? We have a two room tent and my truck, so should not take much room to set up.

Sherwood has become our home faire.  This last year we made it to Scarby and TRF (first time!), in addition to SWFF and even the Celtic Festival.  Sherwood just always has the right "feel" and we like the smaller crowds and size. We are both looking forward to this season!

mpullen

Okay, let's see if I can address the "couple of questions"

Yes, we have reserved areas for established clans/groups. They are charged with maintaining cleanliness and order within their areas. Last year we added another loop road and the available space was claimed by about seven groups. I had nine groups on the waiting list, but two didn't show at the land rush. This weekend, the campgrounds were filled with the noise of chainsaws clearing dropped trees and bulldozer clearing and levelling land.

We have a General/Open campgrounds, where anything from a single person to a large group can set up their camp for the weekend. This campgrounds is divided into two areas, with a line of trees separating them. As you first enter, you will see a large area. This is the "rowdy" area, where most of the folks who like to party heavy are located. Beyond that is the Family/Quiet camping area.

The soil in the "rowdy" area is fairly packed, with the central area being well packed. That is the area where RVs and large travel trailers can set up. Outside that central area are various shaded areas.

The Family/Quiet camping area has a gravel access road, but the parking/camping areas are loose sugar sand, so don't drive in too far. We are clearing additional spaces in this area, so it should hold at least double the number of campers than last year. In addition, we are cutting new access roads that will about triple the campgrounds area. That should be available in the 2015 season.

Bring shovels and rakes to level the sand.

There will be a Campgrounds Rules handout (with a map on the back) at the campgrounds security booth, plus I make a large size map that is posted at the Security Booth.

Any other questions?

PollyPoPo

Yes, yes, MikeP, another question.

Could the rules and map be posted here as well, or a link maybe? 

Friends who only guest camp with clan once or twice a season have a tendency to get lost (even if there was only one new road added last year). 
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Merlin the Elder

Mike, if you'll email the file to me, I'll host it and post a link here.  I'll PM an eddress to you.

mpullen

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on January 21, 2014, 11:03:16 AM
Mike, if you'll email the file to me, I'll host it and post a link here.  I'll PM an eddress to you.

Sent you files for: Participants Campground Map, Patron's Campgrounds Map, Participant's Handbook, Participant's Campgrounds Handout, and Patron's Campgrounds Handout.

I was able to post the maps on the Facebook page, but couldn't post the Handbooks, as they are Word Docx or PDF files.

Merlin the Elder

I have the following files hosted and available as needed:
2014 Participants Handbook (3.7M pdf)
2014 Participants Campground Handout (335k pdf) (11x17 inch format)
2014 Participants Map (2.1M jpeg)

2014 Patrons Campground Handout (390k pdf) (11x17 inch format)
2014 Patrons Campgrounds Map (3.4M jpeg)

FreyBjorn

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on January 22, 2014, 06:12:59 AM
I have the following files hosted and available as needed

Thanks your Wizardliness!
There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R. Tolkien

Crimson

Mike, what is required as a sign stating I'm FoF pass holder?  I set up my pop up last weekend in rogues camp.
Lady Crimson Cadena

Clan of the Celtic Rogues
TRF
Sherwood Forest Faire (Home faire)

"I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then" - Alice

mpullen

Quote from: Crimson on January 22, 2014, 01:57:05 PM
Mike, what is required as a sign stating I'm FoF pass holder?  I set up my pop up last weekend in rogues camp.

We have "official" tags, which we will hand out opening weekend.