News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Question about wearing/carrying/choosing a sword

Started by gem, December 01, 2013, 11:53:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

Is there a guide to selecting the right size/length? Some kind of ratio of length-of-sword to height-of-wearer?

Milord is looking for a medieval sword to wear at his side--but we have no idea how to choose a size. He's just about 6', and the sword would be purely ornamental (he would not actually be fighting with it). Anything too short would look silly, and too long would be unweildy--but how long is long enough? (And before this question wanders any deeper into entirely different territory, ;D I'll stop now!)

Appreciate your help!
Gramercy!

Sir Ironhead

With the tip resting on the ground the quillions should be level with the wielders belly button.  At least that is what the fencing masters of the time said about the length of a rapier.
Debaucheteer
IBRSC #1389
Sandbox Inspector
Iron'n M'Crack
Royal Order of Landsharks #41

gem

Thank you! Now... is that straight up and down (put the point on the ground and hold it right in front of you), or while you're wearing it, hanging at an angle from your side?

Sir Ironhead

Yes, rest the tip on the ground and hold it straight up and down and the quillions should be at the belly button.

That is what was supposed to be "ideal" but by no means did it mean you had to abide by that.  I know a fencer that stands just over 5 foot tall who fights with a rapier with a 45 inch blade and a fencer well past 6 foot that uses a rapier just 35 inches of blade.  I stand 5'11' and I fight with a rapier that has a 42 inch blade and is 48 inches tip to pommel and the quillions are right in my navel. 

For someone about 6' I would say 4 foot overall would probably be about right.  Then again it depends on how he will wear it - off his hip or on his back.  An easy (and cheap) way to help visualize is to hit up Home Despot and get a 4 foot long dowel (any diameter) and put a mark 6 inches in from one end to mark where the quillions would be.
Debaucheteer
IBRSC #1389
Sandbox Inspector
Iron'n M'Crack
Royal Order of Landsharks #41

Elennare

What kind of sword, specifically, are you looking for?  You say "Medieval," so I'm guessing broadsword?

If he's using it solely as a costume piece, and it will never be used, a shorter one will be easier to carry (get in his way less).  Across the back will also keep it out of his way more than wearing it at his hip.

If worn on the hip, it should hang at an angle that keeps the tip somewhat near his feet.  You don't want it sticking way out behind him as it will be a hazard for other people and/or items in shops.  He should be able to make it lay across the backs of his legs by pushing the hilt slightly out to the side (with the back of his hand!  Grabbing the handle was "slang" for grabbing his other sword ;) ), to further get the sword out of the way and allow him to know exactly where it is.

As for length, it depends on the style of the sword and how it was intended to be used.  A one-handed sword is going to be shorter than a two-hander.  Sir Ironhead's guide for a rapier is a little long for me.  I believe my rapier has the pommel right around my navel when point down.

I'd recommend a blade no longer than 32" on a broadsword, personally.  Any longer than that, and it just starts getting awkward to carry.  That should be a nice hand and a half length for a 6' guy, without getting in his way too much.

The suggestion to play around with a dowel to get thoughts on length is also a good one.  Keep in mind, though, that the width of the sword will also make a difference on weight, hang, and feel.

Above all, practice wearing it around BEFORE going to faire with it!  Nothing worse than trying to get comfortable than wearing a sword for the first time with lots of people and breakables around. :)
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

Hoowil

I agree that it all depends on the style of blade, and how comfortable he would be moving with it. I've carried broadswords and rapiers in the past, as well as a few non sword type arms. They all hang differently from the belt, and feel very different. In my personal experience, especially after having kids, I found it easier to go with a poniard than either of my rapiers. The look and feel is more than a dagger, but it doesn't get caught up when having to move thru crowds. And even a few ounces difference in weight can add up after wearing it for 10 hours.
I have found that with my longer rapier, I can swing the hilt back, and hook the tip on the front of my ankle. Not super comfy, but it gives me a definite sense of where the entire weapon is in enclosed/crowded areas.
Other things to consider as well as things like sitting, and getting in and out of benches, especially for shows and food courts.
But the length should be something he is comfortable with. My current broadsword hangs vertically, the hilt just about my waste, and the tip just around my ankle, so if I'm about 6'2", I'd guess overall length to be well under 3 feet, including guard, hilt and pommel. My rapiers are much longer, with the tip on the ground standing up would put the quillions between my navel and sternum depending on the particular piece.
And remember, even during Elizabethan times there were those who used their rapiers as weapons, and others as status symbols, and they were on occasion absurdly long. The Queen even put laws in place limiting the length of rapier blades when the trend got too absurd. I'd have to look it up, but I think the legal limit was about 42" of blade.
Hand-and-a-half swords I would have to soem checking on, but would be longer than the broadsword.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

DonaCatalina

Quote from: gem on December 01, 2013, 01:30:51 PM
Thank you! Now... is that straight up and down (put the point on the ground and hold it right in front of you), or while you're wearing it, hanging at an angle from your side?

aaaaa.
What kind of sword does he want to wear?
A swept hilt fencing style is worn from a frog or angled hanger for easy draw across the front of the body, like so.

A hybrid or a broadsword would have been worn further up near the waist due to the length, it was generally drawn straight out from the body.

The earlier forms of Longsword are usually depicted as being worn in a complicated type of double belt straight up and down the front of the body. Combat would necessitate removal of the belt and scabbard entirely.

Let me tell you though, that anything other than an Epee de Rapier will weigh him down like a ton of bricks for a day of fair.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Orphena

M'lord wears a variety of swords, and I must chime in - be sure to choose the correct belt. A sword can get really weigh you down.

We also have a friend that found the weight too much, so carries the sword hilt with about 4 inches of blade in his otherwise empty scabbard. Just enough to pull out and threaten with "steel", but far lighter to carry!
Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

Sev

Also, while it would be more visible and thus have greater visual impact (for better or for worse, depending on the look you're going for), a baldric may be a more comfortable way to carry the weight of a sword, too.

I've found, from my days upon days of running around armed to the teeth, that I just can't tolerate having my sword hanging from a waist-belt... but hang it from a baldric and it's like it's not even there!

Butch

Look at the site Kultofathena.com

Good selection, and the best prices I've found.

gem

Nidhoggr

Quote from: Sir Ironhead on December 01, 2013, 01:24:46 PM
With the tip resting on the ground the quillions should be level with the wielders belly button.  At least that is what the fencing masters of the time said about the length of a rapier.

Yeah but they also made a habit of encouraging duelists to have rapiers that could be upwards of 48" blades and such lol.  They had laws limiting lengths on blades, at a ridiculous 40.5" (according to modern measurements and the law being written "one yard and half a quarter of the blade").  Not arguing proper sword length as you stated, but rapiers could be considerably bigger than that and it wasn't uncommon.

But honestly it depends on the sword and what you define as "medieval".  Scandinavian swords were shorter and are basically the equivalent of a celtic shortsword.

As you can see there, there's a bit of a size difference.  It all depends on your sword and what culture you're garbing as.  I typically go viking, pirate, or scottish highlander.  When I got viking or scottish I carry my viking style sword that has a guard similar to a celtic sword.  It fits with either garb type.  My axe is the same. It's all about what you think fits and is comfortable, really.  If you strive for 100% accuracy, you're gonna have less fun imho. 

609wood

Please keep in mind and sword will get bumped by patrons. It's not a big deal the first few times but after a day of walking it can get REALY annoying. While a shorter sword will be bumped less it still gets in other peoples way when they carelessly stumble past.

DonaCatalina

Quote from: gem on February 04, 2014, 11:36:18 PM
Quote from: Butch on February 04, 2014, 09:58:28 PM
Look at the site Kultofathena.com
Good selection, and the best prices I've found.

Ok, now I want a trident.
get one. I have a German Mace just cause I wanted one. No one's ever going to carry it in public.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess