News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Accordion pleating marking tool? HELP!

Started by silverstah, July 10, 2008, 11:39:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverstah

ARGH!

I think I saw it here - someone in a dress diary, somewhere, had this awesome little tool that folded out like an accordion that let you make perfectly spaced marks for cartridge pleating, smocking, or eyelet spacing.  I saw it, thought "cool!", and then lost the page. 

I've googled smocking and heritage sewing sites, but haven't been able to find it.  Anyone recognize what I'm talking about?
Catarina Caravello - Mistress of the Bobbins
\"Arrrgh.  Feed Dogs.  Arrrgh.\"  -The Pirate, sewing

gem

I don't have a link for you, but it's called a SIM-FLEX.  They cost about $18.  Somebody on the Wenches board mentioned it in the current cartridge pleating thread (maybe Artemisia?).

Let me know if you figure out where to buy one!

silverstah

Gem, you're living up to your name!  You're truly a gem! :)

I just ordered from from this Ebay seller. :)

Artemisia

Artemisia Moltabocca
You haven't had enough coffee unless you can thread a sewing machine while it's running.

silverstah

Quote from: Artemisia on July 14, 2008, 10:39:35 AM
Love the Simflex!  :D

Yay!  It was YOU who posted it on your livejournal - that's where I saw it. :)  I can't wait to get mine - I have some cartridge pleating in my near future, and this will make it so much tidier! :)

LaurenLee

I know some Civil War seamstresses who swear by something called Tiger Tape for spacing cartridge pleats.  I bought some drapery header/pleating tape at Joann's, and cut it in half - it has wider measured marks, and it has the added bonus of being stiff, so it will make the pleats stick out handsomely.  This way, nothing has to be marked with a pen - I'm going to baste the tape to the raw edge of the skirt, and start my stitches.

I have cartridge-pleated many Civil war skirts by hand, but they were usually one layer of silk or cotton - very easy.  This Elizabethan-era presents all new challenges! :)

peggyelizabeth

I heart my Simflex too!
I hope you love it as well.