News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Changing Rooms at Faires' Gates?

Started by Cobaltblu, July 10, 2008, 01:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tygrkat

Quote from: Cobaltblu on March 04, 2009, 12:43:22 PM
Quote from: jcbanner on March 04, 2009, 12:18:10 AM
The STL faire has available changing rooms for the Friends of Faire members.  They aren't in the best location to changing once you first get there since they're deep into the site, but not a bad location for the "mid faire adjustments" or using to change into new garb if you just bought something from a shop on site.

I used the blue port-o-potty in the parking lot/field last year.  I never heard of a FoF changing room though.

Now that I come to think of it those port-o-potties aren't a half bad changing booth as long as they are emptied regularly and as long as you aren't a woman who has to put on a big noble dress.

Regards,

CB

I believe STL is used to designate St. Louis' Faire; though it is close to Sterling as well  ;)

...if I'm dressing in nobles, I drive up in chemise & bloomers, and get into the rest in the parking lot. The port-a-privies are a bit tricky in a gown, but we manage.  ;D
50% Endora, 50% Aunt Clara.

Dinobabe

Highjacking just a bit!  :D
At Bristol I remember dragging everything out of the shop to the Cheshire Chase bleechers because it gave us more room!

In high school and college we had to change into band uniforms in the parking lot.  I am VERY adept at not showing a bit of skin!

In a way, I think changing in the parking lot may give none garbers a view into our world.  People give funny stares but it does peak their curiousity.  It may encourage them to garb in the future!  ;)

BE BOLD, CHANGE IN PUBLIC!  :o
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Tammy

Second time I went to faire I was in a medieval style gown (the one in avatar)...before leaving I completely changed into jeans (easy!) and a blouse (little more difficult)...while taking the corset (which meant a bra had to be put on) and gown off! No skin was showed.
Changing pavilions are a great idea...but like someone else mentioned...in front of the gates isn't an ideal place. They'd almost be better scattered throughout the parking areas, but that would mean more of them, and less parking. 
Royal Protector of Raccoons, Mistress of the Poi, Best Friend of Windland/Nim, Guppy, Seamstress for The Feisty Lady.

jcbanner

At the Les Amis de Lyon (Friends of Lyon) Garden, there are a few changing booths available for members to use.  You can't see them from the road though.

Ginette

Quote from: raevyncait on July 11, 2008, 08:40:04 AM
I doubt I would use a changing room at gate for several reasons:

1. I drive to faire in bloomers & chemise, so I just have to add my outer layers and it's just easier to pile it on my body from the car than load it all up and haul it to a changing room.

That being said, I'm sure that some of the mundanes might appreciate a changing room of some sort outside the gates if they get there and decide they need to change shirts or pants to accomodate weather or whatever.

I go to faire in my bloomers & chemise as well then add the outer layers once there.  But then again having a child I've learned to change fast and change into completely different outfits without making anyone uncomfortable.  There is always questions from kids of why I'm walking into a gas station in my night gown.   :)
Weddings & Events at Sherwood Forest Faire.
PR for life!

Queen Bonnie

Change? I Love garb! I arrive garbed and drive home that way too.
Ok- I do add stuff to my belt in the parking lot!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

Blushing

The FoF garden at the Southern California Renaissance Pleasure Faire has a changing room and mirrors on the outside - but it's far from the front gates.  They also have a trunk of clothing in case of wardrobe malfunctions.  Most people do change in the parking lot, or get laced up inside the faire.

I generally change in the parking lot ... although a few times when I had my mundane job to get to, I wore my garb for a few hours (no strict office dress code on weekends) until I had a break to change ... computers and bodices aren't a good combination!

Maybe faires that have considered putting in changing areas decided it really wouldn't add anything, since most people are fine with however they currently manage.
~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~

BLAKDUKE

Quote from: Blushing on March 25, 2009, 01:17:50 PM

Maybe faires that have considered putting in changing areas decided it really wouldn't add anything, since most people are fine with however they currently manage.

Quite true but if faires who are into some type of community involvement could provide a few pavillions on the outside of the gates and let the local scout troups man them to see that people are not intruded upon then those that use them could tip the attendees a buck for their efforts etc.   Granted it might be a bit expensive to provide pavillions but think of the spectacle it would make.   JMHO.  That and a ducat will get you a cup of coffee.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

midnightferret

Just to chime in, changing pavilions might be a good idea, but most people I know don't need them. If someone was gong to add something to a faire, the big question would be: will this bring MORE people (i.e. more money) into this faire? So if it's between changing tents and, uh, a new performer or indoor Pub or stage, then, well, guess which wins?

Neat idea, though. I will save it for if I ever open a faire.

Ginette

More people would be great!  :D  But those new to faire might still be a little shy, (I know we'll change the shy soon enough).  At TRF there is the ability to rent garb outside the gate and changing rooms are in the rental shop.

What ever gets more people to faire is good with me!   ;D  :D
Weddings & Events at Sherwood Forest Faire.
PR for life!

Lady Christina de Pond

i think changing rooms would be great i know they rent costumes at Garf but i never thought of where those people changed at.
I normally arrive mostly dressed i hop out of the truck put on my sword my hat and few other things and i'm done
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

Naween

I wish we had changing rooms at MNRF. Lord Garadeaux and I drive over 10 hrs to fair each time we visit for the weekend, and we take turns driving (and sewing in the car). I can't sit in my hoopskirt, much less drive in it, and I hate trying to rearrange layers just outside the car without flashing anyone.

If they had an "attendant" standing guard at the changehouse asking for "donations", I'd definitely tip him a loonie or so to pay for the cost of the structure. I bet most people using them would too!

Lady L

I would like changing rooms. It could be a  tent structure. I know many of you are a lot younger than I am and I remember when I COULD change easily. I could twist, bend, maneuver with the best, not showing anything, while standing in full view.
After breaking my right shoulder, it wasn't so easy and age doesnt' help matters. Also, when Sir R takes off his jeans and puts on his tights/leggings, he needs some privacy. He can manage everything else ok, though.
Former Shop Owner at MNRF

gypsylakat

2 of those rennie tents might not be bad, but I don't know how they handle in the weather..
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

Lady L

You mean those pavillions? We have them up front at MNRF, where they have massages, sell phones and other stuff. There are usually 4 or 5 set up outside the front gate. I don't know how they are in the weather, but they are set up the whole 7 weekends.
Former Shop Owner at MNRF