News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

my worry for Sherwood...

Started by BarbarianQueen, December 07, 2013, 09:16:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarbarianQueen

Thanks Rengypsy, and no worries, it's all good!
Several years ago, the hubby and I were emotionally and mentally invested into another faire startup attempt south of Houston, which shall go un-named  :o
As we watched and read about all the work and plans  to build up to an actual start-up, the hubby began seeing potential issues in the communications ,issues in the processes used to acquire permits, the general management decision and communication, business plan, etc.  In trying to help, he brought his thoughts and concerns up on this forum, and ended up offending some folks, we think, unintentionally.  His only desire was to help avoid or avert possible snags!

Alas and alack, the faire ended up going toes up before it got off the ground.  Not sure of all the reasons, and have no desire to cast aspersions or rub salt in any wounds! The past is the past :)
But, in reading about all the wonderfulness that is Sherwood, Lord Scott said he had one of those" mental warning bells" gently chime, and he wondered about the current strength and future growth track for Sherwood.  However, he would NOT raise them here, as he didn't want to risk offending someone "out of my own ignorance" (his words).

I'm less reserved and much less tactful :), so i brought it up...

It's AWESOME to hear that so many successful business leaders are making the decisions! And, I can't wait to visit for the very first time!
Godspeed

rengypsy

we actually appreciate an open forum.  it allows the rumor mill to be minimized when we are openly willing to discuss our decision making processes...and the involvement and contributions of others. 
it's all about the journey and the people we choose to make the journey with

PollyPoPo

BQ,

You've read the various responses.  Let me just add this. 

Probably one of the absolute worst disasters that could have befallen a brand new faire occurred on opening day of the first season.  The port-a-potties were filled to overflowing by about noon. :o  See, the management that made decisions  had counted on a certain number of people showing up, adding a few more just to make sure the calculations were correct for the number of port-a-potties needed.

Unfortunately (or most fortunately depending on your point of view ;)), that opening day saw two to three times as many visitors as had been anticipated.  It took management a little time to get over the shock and then get more facilities into the faire, but they took care of the problem. 

Hope you can get off some Sundays so you can make a full day of it Saturday.
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Merlin the Elder

I reread a line from my post and realize it could be misinterpreted.  "I would be careful not to write off Sherwood as a 'money maker'" would have been clearer as "not being a money maker."  All indications are that this is going to be a very successful company, with a very loyal, and strong following. Good news travels fast, and bad news travels faster. I have yet to hear anything bad. That's not to say there isn't anything that couldn't be or get better. I'd say that's pretty damned impressive for a young faire.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

eloquentXI

While, I tend to be quiet these days, I do tend to poke my head in from time to time.

I don't see Sherwood going anywhere. It has had an incredible first few years and the backing to really make it a long lasting place. I was there when they first opened the gates and felt the pure magic on those grounds. Something completely different than any other faire I've been to, and everyone on here will agree- it is truly different.

Also, rengypsy, your continued involvement with the Rennie community and on these boards is really appreciated. Thank you for not losing touch with us all.
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

Merlin the Elder

Yeah, true about RenGypsy... After our first visit (opening weekend year 2), I made an offhand comment here that the trails were pretty dusty and difficult to walk on. During the following week, they put down mulch. I'd call that action!  That mulch, by the way, saved a friend of mine last year who fell getting out of the carriage! She hurt nothing but her ego.  ;)

and true about the magic...
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

SirRichardBear

I love Sherwood its a great faire and I look forward to seeing the changes everyear.  Now if they would just have a period Archery tournament I could shoot in then it would be perfect.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

Johnny Stache

Cheers to thee oh "quiet king" of sherwood. Huzzah!!!
"I'm a rambler I'm a gambler, I'm a long way from home, and them that don't like me can leave me alone. I'll eat when I'm hungry, I'll drink when I'm dry, and if the Loki don't kill me, I'll live till I die!!"

Rowan MacD

Quote from: SirRichardBear on December 17, 2013, 09:22:43 AM
I love Sherwood its a great faire and I look forward to seeing the changes everyear.  Now if they would just have a period Archery tournament I could shoot in then it would be perfect.
I can  imagine a big archery field set up like they had in Errol Flynn's Robin Hood, with men shooting the ash longbows in the morning light for prizes. 
  It would fit into Sherwood's 13th century 'era' very well.   
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

<Alex>

There was an archery contest held during the Celtic Music Festival. 
Member of Clan Phoneix Risen
<Scarletnyx's Husband>
<Carrier of the Bags>
<Smoker of the Hookah>
<The Quiet One>

SirRichardBear

Quote from: Rowen MacD on December 17, 2013, 11:16:54 AM
Quote from: SirRichardBear on December 17, 2013, 09:22:43 AM
  I can  imagine a big archery field set up like they had in Errol Flynn's Robin Hood, with men shooting the ash longbows in the morning light for prizes. 
  It would fit into Sherwood's 13th century 'era' very well.

Yes! that is just what I'd love to see, I can just see me driving my wife crazy wanting to come down ever weekend to shoot.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

crashbot

I go for both. See old friends, make new friend, and spend lots of money.  If anyone wants to share a round or two, look for the pair of Vikings lugging around shields.
Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices. - Voltaire

Breandan

Sherwood hooked me and has my loyalty for three reasons. 1) It is an artisan's faire, and I see far more hand-crafted stuff than I do cheap, Taiwanese or Mexican made wallhanger junk, 2) the magic that first hooked me on TRF nearly a quarter century ago is still alive and well- blossoming even- at Sherwood, bringing back a lot my inner youth when I go there, and 3) it still has the look, feel, and overall sensation of a medieval trading village with enough fantasy thrown in to spark the imagination- there are no car dealership signs, no blatant product placement, the shops look good, the joust is an actual joust instead of Medieval Times Lite, and the people and places fit the fantasy rather than looking like a Disney-esque coat of period paint over a flea market. So long as Sherwood maintains all three, they shall have my loyalty, patronage and- most importantly for the continuing operation of the faire- my money  ;D
Author, bladesmith, and fuzzy teddybear.

"I've fought my wars and drank my mead in this life, the afterlife for me will be one endless renaissance festival with an old-school tabletop game store the size of a Costco next door ;D " - me

Queen Bonnie

Sherwood has wonderful Leaders/ owners who listen to what you have to say! It has soul and magick!  It is a very special place!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

Johnny Stache

Sherwood is a legacy in the making. It tis a fairmily friendly place. It is home for Just John.
"I'm a rambler I'm a gambler, I'm a long way from home, and them that don't like me can leave me alone. I'll eat when I'm hungry, I'll drink when I'm dry, and if the Loki don't kill me, I'll live till I die!!"