News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

My grandmother

Started by Margrett, July 11, 2008, 07:46:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Margrett

My paternal grandmother is in the process of passing away right now. She was retaining huge amounts of fluid (12 pounds) and they took her into the hospital on Wednesday. We have been informed that her heart and kidneys are shutting down and other systems are following. She had a crisis Wednesday afternoon and then rallied, but it is just a matter of time. She is nearly 94, so it is her time. Knowing that does not mean that I do not feel strong emotion at her passing. The hard part is not knowing how long this will take. I'm going to the hospital to see her today, but I don't know if she will even be awake while I am there.

Sigh.

This is the great grandma--my mom, before she passed away three years ago next week (yeah, timing right now really sucks), had a better relationship with her mother-in-law than with her own mother. Both my grandfathers died years ago but I have had grandmothers for a long time--and this still sucks even knowing how blessed she has been to live so long with so few age-related issues.

lordwriothsley

Margrett you are in my thoughts and prayers.I know how hard it is to loose a grandmother,My grandmother on my moms side of the family passed away in 2004 at the age of 82 and yes it was hard for me to but you know the thing that gives me comfort now is knowing that she is in a better place and is not suffering anymore.
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

Fairyfly

I don't know you but, *HUG*. I'm going through something similar. My Gmom is 93, and is now having age related problems and other health issues. Even though she's lived a full and mainly happy life, it's still just so hard. My thoughts are with you hun.
EtteMum
TaskMistress of the Bayou Scoundrel's
Fae'N M'Crack... or at least working on it.
Rani's Divine Whip

lordwriothsley

Fairyfly likewise with you to.You are in my thoughts and prayers as well.Just remember that the good lord above only knows when your Grandmoms time has come and when it does come she won't be suffering anymore and she will be in a better place as well.
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

CatAshtrophy

You are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope that she will be awake and in good spirits for you to get to speak with her while you visit.

RenRobin

You and your family are in my prayers.  I lost my great aunt who has been a serogate gmom to me since my gmom passes away, a week ago today. ((HUGS))
Loki-terr (in training)

Ginette

You and your family are in my prayers.

*big hug*
Weddings & Events at Sherwood Forest Faire.
PR for life!

LadyOren

Be strong, stay positive and know that your memories and the life lessons that she has taught you are forever living in your heart.  I'm lighting a healing and strength candle for you both.  Remember the happy times and hold the warmth of that love close. Peace and blessings.
When I'm gone look for me beneath your boots, for I have returned to the ground from which I came.   Walt Whitman

Margrett

Thank you all! She was not only awake; she was lucid, smiling, eating and in good spirits while I was there. The nurse said she is in the end stages of congestive heart failure, mainly due to age. They give her a max of 6 months, but with kidney issues too, she may not make it very much longer. She refused hospice care, though---said she is not ready for someone else to take over her decisions. My three uncles are working out all the legal aspects of her coming passing right now--though I heard they worked out the house ownership issue previously.

So we could have her for a few more months or we could lose her anytime. I'm going to run down to the hospital every couple days to visit until they let her go home--it's less than an hour away.

I appreciate all the candles, virtual hugs and prayers very much.

Hugs back,
Margrett

lordwriothsley

Hey that's what prayer will do. :)
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

Baroness de Vale

It's great to hear she is doing better she was. Hugs!