News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

PRF Website

Started by Terry Griffith, July 11, 2008, 08:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PesterTheJester

Hey Terry how come you're not mentioned on the website?  I mean crap at this point I think you're Pittsburgh's ONLY local performer and they don't even have you listed!

Terry Griffith

Why should this year be any different?  I guess I'll have to move to Colorado to get on the web page.

In true renaissance fashion, they don't know that web sites are a marketing tool. 
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

GypsyWriter

It's a shame that PRF has become a just a tool for Rocky Mt Festivals, Inc (CO).  Here's a portion from the email I recently sent to Lori:

"...I noticed an absence of cast and local performers from the 'Entertainment' listing and throughout your web site, and I just wanted to let you know that I hope this does not mean that there will not be a local representation on the entertainment schedule.  I have been looking forward to seeing the lineup for this year so that I will know who I might get to see at the faire.  As an advocate for the local performers, it saddens me to think they might not be justly represented at PRF--both at the faire itself and on the web site, where they have an opportunity for a little national exposure..."
You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm.
--Colette

PesterTheJester

Yeah that point saddens me alot too(and not only becaz I am a local performer).  I'm all about supporting your local peoples first.  I found it kind of amusing that I didn't get rehired and then saw the 2 Colorado Jester actors being brought in.  I'm passed the point of being urked I'm not being hired back into the faire this year.  Now just amused since I can finally take a step back and look at all the odd(poor) decisions being made by him.

:P But as they say "It's Jim's toy, he can play with it how he wants"

Maybe if he hears enough of the cries from people like you GW he'll wake up.  I know ALOT of familiar faces people will be missing this year.   Both on cast & in vending booths.

GypsyWriter

Pester, your case just reinforces the point that it's driven by the CO-machine. 

I did receive a response to my email:

Good Afternoon Barb,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding this year's entertainment line-up at the Pittsburgh Renaissance Festival.

As of the 2007 season, the Festival has been owned by Rocky Mt. Festivals who also owns the Colorado Renaissance Festival.  We too share a webmaster who as well wears several other hats in both companies.  I am sure that besides trying to achieve uniformity and unity between the two Festivals by having very similar websites, it is done for ease of maintaining the websites as well.

I will certainly pass your input onto the owner of the Festival.

I am happy to tell you that many returning cast members as well as local talent mixed up with new national acts that most of us have not seen before are on the line-up.  We , as well, are still contracting and talking to people.

A great promotional CD that will go to all media was just released.  All of the footage on the CD was filmed here at the {Pittsburgh site last season...it is exceptional!

Thanks again for your input....hope to see you later this summer.

Regards,

Lori Hughes
Public Relations
Pittsburgh Renaissance Festival
--Colette

Charity Morgan

SO...all the weekends will be PIRATES!  Visit Morgans Bounty (looks like the back end of a ship) directly located across from the (ummmm) Pirate Pub! (still no Guiness?!)

AND according to the website we have a NEW cast of villagers...(so dear playtrons don't feel left out, they snub their own cast as well!)  they wouldn't post a picture of those we haven't yet seen!

BUT Scarlett...that gown...darling nobody looks as good as you do in drapes!  Will you help me plot the plunder for dear Ducouer saying that nasty Pirates smirates comment?

As for King Charming, he will not be on cast this year either.  He will be joining me at the ship as much as possible. I hear that his "son" Prince Charming will return but without Sir Dashing at his side.

Scotsman and Lady Guiness, you will be our honored guests on ANY weekend you decide to grace us with your presence!

FINALLY - don't forget opening weekend is 2 for one coupons available at Wendy's again this year - that will be the best and only opportunity for savings (unless the establishment has completely changed with the economy, which I highly doubt!)

Charity Morgan ~ Morgans Bounty
Purveyor of questionably acquired treasures.

PesterTheJester

Quote from: GypsyWriter on July 15, 2008, 03:39:38 PM
Pester, your case just reinforces the point that it's driven by the CO-machine. 

I did receive a response to my email:

Good Afternoon Barb,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding this year's entertainment line-up at the Pittsburgh Renaissance Festival.

As of the 2007 season, the Festival has been owned by Rocky Mt. Festivals who also owns the Colorado Renaissance Festival.  We too share a webmaster who as well wears several other hats in both companies.  I am sure that besides trying to achieve uniformity and unity between the two Festivals by having very similar websites, it is done for ease of maintaining the websites as well.

I will certainly pass your input onto the owner of the Festival.

I am happy to tell you that many returning cast members as well as local talent mixed up with new national acts that most of us have not seen before are on the line-up.  We , as well, are still contracting and talking to people.

A great promotional CD that will go to all media was just released.  All of the footage on the CD was filmed here at the {Pittsburgh site last season...it is exceptional!

Thanks again for your input....hope to see you later this summer.

Regards,

Lori Hughes
Public Relations
Pittsburgh Renaissance Festival

I really hope the people receiving that CD don't expect to see the people on it at the festival this year.  I know people who have been there longer than myself(counting Dave's ownership too) who won't be in attendance this year.  So if they are coming to see some of those people they will be sadly disappointed.

As for the "unity" thing.  Really I'm a webmaster, there's a difference between having a template and just plain lazy.  I would think that ANY festival would want to promote their locals more so than the national acts.  Especially these national acts no one in pgh area has heard of.  I'm sure they may be wonderful shows and all don't get me wrong, but when I go to certain events every year I like to know my favorite acts are going to be there.(aka the reason I enjoy coming back each year)

As far as the "new cast" I'm sure that's up every year and take a glance at the contract thread, Dr M. and Nelle(yay!) are the only ones i see who we know that will be there(really if anyone knows other street that will be there speak up, I'm curious).

Even though I'm probably not going to be working pittsburgh this year in any regard(possibly looking into a vendor position) I'll still visit at very least.  You are all my family after all.  Also I think Lori does a great job never let it be thought I don't think she's awesome.

Countess Westmorland

Quote from: PesterTheJester on July 15, 2008, 05:43:18 PM

As far as the "new cast" I'm sure that's up every year and take a glance at the contract thread, Dr M. and Nelle(yay!) are the only ones i see who we know that will be there(really if anyone knows other street that will be there speak up, I'm curious).

Hi, Pester,
Have you looked at the contract list lately?  That list is updated whenever someone reports as having signed.  Terry edits it.  I was one of the first returning cast members to be listed although my position has changed slightly this year to my sister.  Also I thought you knew Kip and Malie, both of whom are returning and have been listed on that post as such.  I know of several other people who are returning but haven't openly declared it so, just told me in conversation.  They are either not members of the forum or have chosen not to come forward at this time. Porter and Stout with Jennie will be returning also.  We spoke with them at Great Lakes the other week.
Jan
A little song, a little dance, a little rum down your pants!

DuCoeur

Hey GW...
At least you recieved a response.  Still Waiting for mine.

Hmmm...maybe mine was just too snarky.  Not that I have a tendency to be snarky.  Ok I do, but that is beside the point.
I would rather endure a thousand biblical hells then live a life of perpetual inconsequence.

Terry Griffith

You know, kids, maybe its not a good idea to complain via the Feedback link.  I thought it would make a difference but it's just creating more work for Lori.  We're preaching to the choir here and now she has to answer everybody.  I thought maybe she would just forward the messages to the web people in Co. but if she has to answer everybody then we're just making her life more difficult with no impact on the decision makers.

I really believe that people who look at a web site and see something other than the truth are turned off by it.  Maybe it's not that way in Colorado but Pittsburgh is a lot more cerebral and technologically oriented.  Some people only learn the hard way and when the analysis of the gate receipts is done, it may be realized then.  I wish it would be realized before this season but it is already too late to correct the mistake.

Most people these days realize how easy it is to update a web page and they know it's not that time consuming.  If there is a CD of video that was taken at our faire last year then there are tons of still pictures of the cast that could be used.  As far as performers pictures and bios, thats something that every professional has ready to send so material is not the problem.  Continuity has nothing to do with content. The same logo, layout, font and color scheme will maintain contenuity.  All they need to update is the photos and the names and bios.  A couple of hours work at most.

If time, material and continuity are not the problem then logic would dictate that the problem is something more idealistic and that won't be changed by anything we can say.  Let the tide rise and fall where it may.  All we can do is ride it to the best of our ability and enjoy the moment.
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

PesterTheJester

Quote from: Countess Westmorland on July 15, 2008, 07:30:37 PM
Quote from: PesterTheJester on July 15, 2008, 05:43:18 PM

Hi, Pester,
Have you looked at the contract list lately?  That list is updated whenever someone reports as having signed.  Terry edits it.  I was one of the first returning cast members to be listed although my position has changed slightly this year to my sister.  Also I thought you knew Kip and Malie, both of whom are returning and have been listed on that post as such.  I know of several other people who are returning but haven't openly declared it so, just told me in conversation.  They are either not members of the forum or have chosen not to come forward at this time. Porter and Stout with Jennie will be returning also.  We spoke with them at Great Lakes the other week.
Jan

;P Well that's 5 of you then.  I know Porter & Stout will be back and that's awesome I love those guys dearly, but they're not "Local Talent" still in my mind.(though should still be mentioned on the website)

Also just noticed they're doing ANOTHER set of auditions for street characters.  Wow that's just crazy.  In the same month as your faire you're still holding auditions?  Makes me wonder how short staffed they are for street.  ;P Maybe it's just you 5 and John lol. 

GypsyWriter

It didn't really matter to me whether or not I received a personal response, I just wanted to make sure someone knew my thoughts.  And I still think that if enough people share their opinion it should become apparent to Lori that there is a general concensus.  At that point, I would hope she would share this opinion with the web master or whoever has the power to make those changes.  

It is the job of a "gatekeeper" to screen this kind of info--and also to pass it on when appropriate.  If it's a matter of "preaching to the choir" then I would think Lori would be even more inclined to take these opinions to heart and at least give voice to them, whether or not she personally has the power to change anything.

I am truly looking forward to attending PRF again this year and hope to see many familiar faces.
--Colette

Scarlett

I've followed this thread with great interest.  It seems a deja vu to last years threads on the discontinuance of season passes and limited beer selections.  I hate to sound like a defeatist, Lord knows I'm not, but when it comes to dealing with the new management/ownership of this faire you might as well save your breath.  Concerns and/or suggestions are never acted upon, only received and acknowledged. 
I will be shocked to see any changes to the website to include photos of local performers.  Pittsburgh seems to be the red haired step child to Mr. Paradise and is treated as such.

I had hoped to see a more aggressive approach to ticket promotions, possibly even the return of season passes due to the extreme downward shift in the economy.  No such luck.  If the PTB does not expect to see attendance decline this year, they are mistaken.  When people are deciding between gas and food, entertainment takes a back seat in a family's budget.  I plan on making only 3 visits this year.  Why give anymore of my hard earned money to a business that has no regard for it's local patronage?

Mimosas - They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
SWG, Chapter 1, co-founding member

Lady Celynn

Well I too sent an email to the website and got the exact same form letter that Pester got.  It's true we may be making more work for Lori, but maybe she will forward it along to the PTB.  If we do nothing then that's all we can expect.  We need to voice our opinion and hope it's heard.
Lady Celynn

Charity Morgan

Quote from: Scarlett on July 16, 2008, 10:12:15 AM
I've followed this thread with great interest.  ...  If the PTB does not expect to see attendance decline this year, they are mistaken.  When people are deciding between gas and food, entertainment takes a back seat in a family's budget.  I plan on making only 3 visits this year.  Why give anymore of my hard earned money to a business that has no regard for it's local patronage?

As the former marketing director of this festival it saddens me greatly to see our dear friends such as Scarlett who have been so supportive only planning to visit 3 times!  It was lovely to see her at Great Lakes recently and she certainly traveled there without complaint.  We all were so thankful last season to have our wondrous shire re-open...now it seems we are less content to have the opportunity to play among the fairies and wenches. (no pirates?!)

While it is true the PTB view this as a business, many of my fellow vendors are experiencing a decline nationwide at festivals averaging 30% from last year.  Certainly there will be decisions that must be made that some, perhaps even many of us will not agree with. Yet, I for one continue to anticipate the excitement of morning gate...the boom of cannon...the flurry of getting every little thing ready...the tightening of the corsets...the raising of the cup...

The undertaking of this festival is huge.  It is not a simple feat.  Decisions are not likely to be swayed.  Please consider the gate charge as a way to enjoy an entire day in our rare world that we did not always have.  There will be some new exciting things...there will be some things missing.  Join us and play.  This is an opportunity to continue this family that we have built and it is not something to let slip by. We may not always have a shire so close by, let alone the one we love.

Of course...Maryland, PARF, Tuxedo, Ohio...there certainly are plenty of faires vying for your attention!   
Charity Morgan ~ Morgans Bounty
Purveyor of questionably acquired treasures.