News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Movies we'd like to see be made

Started by Capt Gabriela Fullpepper, July 11, 2008, 09:52:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

So I was looking through a news website today and I saw an article about Hollywood running out of ideas. It seems they are now turning to board games to make movies about. Remenber Clue? Well they want to make a Ouja movie, a Monopoly movie and possibly a Clue remake. They have done movies on theme park rides, Haunted Mansion and PoTC, and this summer is the movies made about Comic book's like Ironman, The Dark Knight, Hellboy and I am sure there are others. So I thought I would start a post were we put ideas for movies that would make great movies that could be done with big budgets and done right. Some maybe already made, but were done with a very small budget and not done right.

Boudica - Romor had it that Mel Gibson was going to make this into a movie, but didn't or it fell through
A Movie focusing on other Tudors and King Henry's other Queens. Lets see a movie about Bloody Mary, or Edward
The 100 years war - France vs England
War of the Roses - Not the Divorce movie but about this hstorical piece in time
Ploesti - about the failed B-24 raid that failed
Vercingetorix - (Not that Cheesy Christopher Lambert movie)
Hanibal - One of the greatest military minds ever
Sword of Shanara/Elfstones of Shanara - Great Terry Brooks books in the vein of Tolkien
The Angle of Marye's Heights - A tragic story of compassion about a soldier during the American Civil War
John Carter of Mars - Fun Edger Rice Burrough's books (Pixar is rumored to be making this)
Fallout - Based on the Post Apocoliptic PC Game where Zombies are just sickly human's who are not flesh hungry
The Green Hornet - Based onthe 1960's TV show
Sgt Rock - Based on the WWII Comic Book
Werewolf by Night - Also an old comic book
Carzy Horse - The Sioux Chief that defeated Custer and had many other fights against the US Army
Richard the Lion Hearted - Not some Robin Hood add in. Lets tell how Richard really was.
MORE PIRATES - Anything Pirates that is good

These are just a start add in what you would like to see be made into a good major motion picture.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

GypsyWriter

Great question, M'Lady!

I have always wanted to see Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" made into a movie.  A few years ago I think there was a contract in negotiation (might have been a TV movie) and I got my hopes up, but alas it was not to be.  :(

Of course, I would probably never be happy with the casting of anyone in the roles Claire and (especially) Jamie.
You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm.
--Colette

Scotsman

Lord of the Rings Part IV, V, & VI

Braveheart Part II - the resurrection!
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

analise

Jim Butcher's the Dresden Files. They made a tv series, but I'd love to see a proper movie done.

Also Jim Butcher's Codex Alera books would do well as movies.

And Naomi Novik's Temeraire series.

And more movies based off the Aubrey & Maturin novels! (i.e. Master and Commander: the Far Side of the World)

Welsh Wench

I'd love to see Mary Stewart's Arthurian legends books made into movies.
The Hollow Hills, The Crystal Cave, The Last Enchantment, The Wicked Day.

The Moreland Dynasty series by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles.
It starts with the Moreland family and Richard III.

Or a love story between Richard III and his wife Anne Neville.

Or between John of Gaunt and Katherine de Roet Swynford.

Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Lady Nicolette

"The Moreland Dynasties" are incredible...Would have to be one of those PBS-weeks-and-weeks series.
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Lord Dragonspyre

Quote from: GypsyWriter on July 11, 2008, 01:25:51 PM
Great question, M'Lady!

I have always wanted to see Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" made into a movie.  A few years ago I think there was a contract in negotiation (might have been a TV movie) and I got my hopes up, but alas it was not to be.  :(

Of course, I would probably never be happy with the casting of anyone in the roles Claire and (especially) Jamie.

Okay, so not the same story, but...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462465/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewBIp8uv58I
Corrupting Impressionable Youths Since 1976.

IBRSC#1475, RMG#820, IFRP#1276
Horseman of Debauchery

renren

Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

Hoowil

I don't remember the names of all of them, but there was a trilogy of books years ago, one was Ice Prophet, where the world was frozen, and everybody sailed skated ships, and they had just rediscoverd guns, so it was like pirates on ice... I just can't describe it right.

Or George R R Martin's 'Song of Fire and Ice' series
the Missenchanted Sword, another old book...
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Sweet T

Another from an old comic.

BTW if anyone knows what it was called or who published it, please let me know.

There were the four horsemen of the apocolypse ravaging the world during one of the crusades. A Saracen Knight and a Christian Knight had to find certain talismans to defeat them, putting aside their differences to work together. A beautiful girl saves the Christian Knight, and helps him overcome one of the horsemen.

Eventually, all but one is defeated, but the two knights find themselves with convenient armies on a large field and decide to fight it out. The girl manages to stop them and they live happily ever after.

-Sweet T
www.yesteadyhands.com

anne of oaktower

Persia Wooley wrote a trilogy about Guinevere (Child Of The Northern Spring, Queen Of The Summer Stars, and The Legend In Autumn) that could be turned into a really good movie. 
aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

Morgan Dreadlocke

The Dragon and the George.

Several of Fritz Lieber's short stories about Lankhmar could be tied together for a decent ancient adventure flick. Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser live!

Can't recall the name of this next one- Main character "Gualchmae"? chases his true love through several incarnations and historical events. Read it about 30 years old and it's a truly beautiful story.

100% agreement on "The Sword of Shannara". Long overdue IMHO.
My intentions are to commandeer a venue, sail to Tortuga, then pick, strum and otherwise play me weasily black guts out.

Lady Nicolette

I vaguely remember the Gwalchmai series...I believe that this is an alternative spelling for Gawain (as in Sir Gawain of the Round Table).  Will have to do some research to find out why I remember it, who wrote it, etc.

I agree on the Grey Mouser!  My sister, Pam (RIP), turned me on to Fritz Leiber back in the early 70's.  She loved all of the swords and sorcery fantasies, which were a pretty new genre back then.
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

CelticOne

Camelot 3000 based on a 12 part comic maxi series published by DC back in the 80's.

Anne McCaffrey's Pern books, bare minumum the first couple.

Stephen King's Dark Tower books.
The mind is like a parachute, its best when open.

Morgan Dreadlocke

Blimey, the right spellin' 'o a name makes all the difference ta the search engine-

Originally published in 1974 by Ballantine as part of its Adult Fantasy series and reprinted six times, Merlin's Ring was an instant sensation among both fantasy fans and critics. This is an epic saga, ranging through history from the fall of Atlantis to Joan of Arc, and linking the Arthurian legends with Mezoamerican god Quetzalcoatl, the legends of Roland, Prester John, and Kublai Khan. It is also a powerful story of two lovers, Gwalchmai and Corenice, whose spirits are separated and reunited numerous times over the course of many centuries. QUOTES: "In Merlin's Ring, Munn reaches the apex of his art, a synthesis of myth and history, imagination and reality, to show the heroic qualities by which the human spirit endures." - Don Herron, in Survey of Modern Fantasy Literature "The story of Merlin's Ring is a colossal achievement of sheer imagination. From the moment the wandering spirit of the sorceress from Atlantis occupies the body of a Viking maid and liberates Gwalchmai from his frozen tomb within an iceberg, wherein he has lain in suspended animation for centuries, the tale expands to include shamans and witches and magical and supernatural forces. The vast canvas of this novel pictures a panoply of figures from history and myth and legend as background to a love story that survives the ages and traverses entire continents. Joan of Arc is but the most familiar of these, and the period of the Crusades form but a segment of a much larger history. Seldom have I encountered a more ambitious narrative in my exploration of fantasy, and seldom has a gripping human drama of such strength and vigor invested a story of such sweep and scope and vaulting imaginative power." - Lin Carter, from the Introduction to the 1974 Ballantine edition

Thankee Lady N.
My intentions are to commandeer a venue, sail to Tortuga, then pick, strum and otherwise play me weasily black guts out.