News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Movies we'd like to see be made

Started by Capt Gabriela Fullpepper, July 11, 2008, 09:52:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Nicolette

That's the one!  Glad to be of service!
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Athena

Quote from: GypsyWriter on July 11, 2008, 01:25:51 PM

I have always wanted to see Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" made into a movie.  A few years ago I think there was a contract in negotiation (might have been a TV movie) and I got my hopes up, but alas it was not to be.  :(

Of course, I would probably never be happy with the casting of anyone in the roles Claire and (especially) Jamie.

I agree! It would be interesting to see the novel on film, but I know I'd probably wouldn't be happy with the actors chosen because they probably wouldn't come close to the way I picture Claire & Jamie.

There's so much detail in the novels that they would have to cut large chunks (and characters) out, which would also not sit right with me. Perhaps some books should be left well enough alone.  :)

I'd like to see The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova or the Sevenwaters Trilogy by Juliet Marrilier made into movies.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Lady Renee Buchanan

I read the most wonderful fiction, "The Doomsday Book," by Connie Willis.  It takes place in Oxford in the year 2050 (or thereabouts, I read it a while ago).  They have started working on time travel, and a student volunteers to go back to the Middle Ages.  She is supposed to go back to about 20 years after the plague, but due to several circumstances that occur, she unknowingly goes back right smack in the middle of it.  It was a fantastic book, and I'd love to see it in a movie.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Whistler Fred

There's a very good children's book called "The Blue Cat of Castle Town" by Catherine Cate Coblentz which I think could be made into a wonderful animated (or possibly live-action) movie.

Although it's been done with indifferent results, I'd like to see what a good moive production crew could do with the the "Silver John" short stories and novels of Manly Wade Wellman.
Whistler Fred (Lauritzen)

"Get ready for the Whistler.  I'll whistle along on the seventh day."  Ian Anderson

PurpleDragon

The entire Xanth series by Piers Anthony.

Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

Lady Nicolette

I think that both "The Illuminator," and it's successor, "The Mercy Seller," by Brenda Rickman Vantrease would make excellent films.
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

escherblacksmith

Personally, I wouldn't want any of my favorite books made into movies.  Movies are too short and the books I read are too long.  Lord of the Rings was good, but too short by at least half (that is including the directors cuts), so, instead of 12 hours, it should be closer to 30.

The best adaptation I have seen done was the Dune Miniseries' on the Sci-Fi network.  That is the only way I won't be horribly disappointed, I suspect.

That said, some of the history stuff would be very fun to see.  More Viking flicks especially.
--

maelstrom0370

World War Z (I LUUUUUVS me a good zombie movie, I does!)
The Druss the Legend series (If you haven't read it, do!)
The Dresden Files (not the dreck they tried to pass off as a TV series)
The Kim Harrison series (Dead Witch Walking, et al)
Anything by Raymond Feist

BLAKDUKE

Someone touched a bit on my subject a bit earlier, something about the MORELAND CHRINICLES AND RICHARD III

I would like to see a movie based on what the actual historical documents have to say on the life of RICHARD III
not some Shakesperian ramblings better suited to puff up the Tudor dynasty.  Or how about making a movie based on
Josephine Teys book, Daughter of Time, with some flashback scenes using Kendalls biographical book as source material.

I am trying to visualize who would play the parts. 
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Lady Neysa

Quote from: Phoenix on July 14, 2008, 10:12:33 PM
Anne McCaffrey's Pern books, bare minumum the first couple.

Internet rumors have abounded about a Pern movie for years, but I'll believe it when I see it. I'd love to see Pern on the big screen too.

I'd also like to see Piers Anthony's "Incarnations of Immortality"  done. The actor who played the angel of death on  "Charmed" would be perfect in the role of Zane/Death.

*Teach*

Quote from: PurpleDragon on July 16, 2008, 03:30:46 PM
The entire Xanth series by Piers Anthony.
I agree... to a point
Somewhere around Vale of the Vole he seemed to loose the fun of the series for me. I started reading that series back in 1986 (I know because it kept away boredom the summer after I graduated lol). I truly loved it, but it just quit being... fun.

I also agree with making Incarnations of Immortality into a movie... that would just be fantastic.

I would like to see the Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind turned into a mini-series (because each book is just to long for a movie) and the same goes for Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time.
On the sci-fi side, I would really enjoy seeing the Honor Harrington books by David Weber turned into movies. They would make a great transition I think.

*I would also like to see the Boston Bartender's Guide turned into a movie with the focus on rum drinks... but that would be a stretch I guess*
*Got more Rum?* "Here, Try This!"
http://forums.wearephoenixrisen.com

Lady Neysa

Another fabulous big screen adaptation would be Anne McCaffrey's "Talent" series- The Rowan, Damia, Damia's Children, Lyon's Pride, The Tower and the Hive.

Just Randall

Stainless Steel Rat, anyone? Or how about The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever?
"The Apprentice Adept" series by Piers Anthony?

My best thought on adaptations, is to make them into mini-series on Showtime, HBO, et.al. so that they can get done completely, instead of trying to cut it down to two hours (Hell, they do it in England all the time, so why can't we?).
Mediocrity is the refuge of the unimaginative...

Lady Neysa

The Apprentice Adept would be good too, although it would be a little difficult to keep it PG during the Proton scenes unless they clothed them for the movie. 
By the way, now you know where my screen name comes from!  Neysa is my favorite character.

PurpleDragon

We used to make mini-series here all the time.  Anyone remember SHOGUN, The Thornbirds, The Blue and The Gray?  They were all min-series made for television PRE CABLE...  Now, everyone just wants reality (crap) television shows which are not even reality... they may not be scripted, but they are definitely not based any way in or on reality.
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.