News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Custom Wedding Garb

Started by RedRobin, July 11, 2008, 01:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedRobin

Dan and I are planning our wedding for the fall of 2009, and while it is not going to be strictly period I have been looking at period, and period inspired wedding dresses.  So far I have not found much that is strictly wedding, and even less which has been garb which will customize to be wedding appropriate.  Unfortunately most of what I have found has been mostly medieval, or not particularly professional looking.  What I have run across is a place called Kathryn and Alexandra, and of course there is also custom Moresca. 

Does anyone have advice on other places to look, or any experience with the places I have mentioned, or getting custom garb through Moresca?

Thanks in advance!!

Scotsman

You guys are getting married??? Why am I always the last to know.
Congrats lass ... and Dan to ... I guess.
You two are awesome and not to worry, I will lend Dan a pair of my socks  ;D

As for a gown, the ren faire weddings are always great. My advice would be to get something that can be used again ... and again ... and again! Wait, not as a wedding gown mind you (you should only marry once) but as faire garb at a later date.

*Kind of like the Elvis outfit I got married in  ;)*
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

serenamoonsilver

There are lots of places out there that do custom garb--Very Merry, Stimpzilla's, Arcane Lore, Yosa, or Faireware.

Are you saying you can't find garb that's wedding appropriate because its not white?  All of the above do custom dresses and can do their gowns in white.  Or are you looking for something more budget friendly?

May I also suggest going to the Renaissance & Medieval Wedding board and looking around in the For the Bride section.

Oh...and congratulations! :D

Tygrkat

Well, firstly...CONGRATULATIONS!!

I'm getting married next month {!!!} and had my gown made by www.fairefinery.com and Nicki was very accommodating in terms of working with me and my choice of colors and fabrics. You can see the gown that she made for me here : http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=815.15   

Although it definitely doesn't scream out "Wedding Gown" it's perfect for me {I'm getting married at Faire}, the construction is solid and definitely professional. Also, the gown was made to my measurements, so it's a perfect fit.  She does have other designs and fabrics that are more "wedding-y" if that is what you're going for in terms of being "wedding appropriate".

I don't want to seem like I'm "advertising' for a particular vendor, but I am thrilled with my gown and just can't say enough good things about FaireFinery.

I hope this helps, and again - CONGRATS!

50% Endora, 50% Aunt Clara.

Lady Renee Buchanan

There have been a number of forum members, including myself, who have been extremely delighted to work with Lady Kathleen of Olmsted whose attention to detail is outstanding. 

If you look at her profile, there is a link where you will see garb she has made for others, including wedding ensembles.

Since other companies have been mentioned, I thought it would not be overstepping boundaries to mention her.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Celtic Lady

Many congrats on the wedding next year. I am getting married in the fall of 2009 at the MiRF. There's a lady here in Iowa that makes ren clothing of all types. She will be making my dress for me.

RedRobin

Thanks everyone!!  I guess what I didn't make particularly clear is that we are not planning on a themed wedding, nor a fest wedding.  Unfortunately our families would have us hanged for that..... and we decided that having our mothers happy was a little more important to us.  I however, wanted a dress which will give a good nod to the styles of the Tudor period, without tipping off my family that something is amiss.

I am definitely going to be checking out all of the suggestions.....  I REALLY appreciate them.

Now if anyone has any other ideas on how to sneakily bring the Renaissance into a wedding without alarming the old folks I am all ears.

Scotsman - I am sure that we told you we were engaged at VARF...... 

serenamoonsilver

That's easy enough.  Have you picked out your venues yet?    If not try to maybe look for a church/hall that has more historic archtecture. 

Also, you can include herbs in your boquet and other flower arrangments.

Aisle Dash recently did Renaissance as their theme of the week.  While some of it may be over the top, you can look there for ideas.

princess Rachel

Hi I'm Rachel
      My fiance and I have been together for almost 9 years our 9 year anniversary will be on October 23 of this month. My dream has always been getting married at the Renaissance Festival ever since I was a little girl. I have a question though? I first wanted to know my fiances uncle is a minister, he has been wanting to marry us for 7 1/2 years but no one will let him marry us unless it is in a park, but I don't want it in a park, I want it in a church so anyways do you think he could marry us that is the only thing holding us back and making my dreams come reality? I got all the information off your website about the wedding and things that we need to make it happen, but I want our uncle to marry us that has been his dream and so I want to make that a reality for him. I told him were we wanted to get married at and he thought that was the most wonderful place. Were looking to get married next year so if you could help me that would be great.Also how soon do you need to know about when and what time etc. is for the wedding? Thank you very much sincerely, Rachel     

Lady de la Warr

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on July 12, 2008, 10:53:04 AM
There have been a number of forum members, including myself, who have been extremely delighted to work with Lady Kathleen of Olmsted whose attention to detail is outstanding. 

If you look at her profile, there is a link where you will see garb she has made for others, including wedding ensembles.

Since other companies have been mentioned, I thought it would not be overstepping boundaries to mention her.

I second Lady Renee's recommendation. Lady Kathleen made my wedding gown and it is absolutely amazing!! I would contact her if I were you and see what she can do for you.

Oh - and incidentally - she doesn't JUST sew renaissance style - she can sew you whatever you want. My wedding gown is an adaptation of a gown taken from a Titian portrait.

Lady Missy

I was also married at faire...my wedding garb was made by Crimson Gypsy but i had my garb for this past year made by Nicki at fairefinery.com and can vouch that it was awesome!!!

Quote from: Tygrkat33 on July 12, 2008, 09:47:36 AM
Well, firstly...CONGRATULATIONS!!

I'm getting married next month {!!!} and had my gown made by www.fairefinery.com and Nicki was very accommodating in terms of working with me and my choice of colors and fabrics. You can see the gown that she made for me here : http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=815.15   

Although it definitely doesn't scream out "Wedding Gown" it's perfect for me {I'm getting married at Faire}, the construction is solid and definitely professional. Also, the gown was made to my measurements, so it's a perfect fit.  She does have other designs and fabrics that are more "wedding-y" if that is what you're going for in terms of being "wedding appropriate".

I don't want to seem like I'm "advertising' for a particular vendor, but I am thrilled with my gown and just can't say enough good things about FaireFinery.

I hope this helps, and again - CONGRATS!

Lady de la Warr

RedRobin -- did you see the bright blue gown I was wearing at MDRF this past Saturday - I'm pretty sure you were there - I thought I saw you two  ;)

Anyway - that blue gown with all the gold trim and the 1,000's of pearls on it? Lady Kathleen made that gown.

If you are going to PARF closing this coming weekend I'll be wearing it again on one of the days so come and say hello and take a closer look.

And like I said - Lady Kathleen can sew anything, not just Ren garb. Although..........I've seen a LOT of wedding gowns in stores that are so called "modern" but sure do resemble renaissance gowns - or PoTC type gowns. So I see no reason you couldn't get away with a gown that "resembles" a ren gown.