News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Acrylic Pearl Beads

Started by DonaCatalina, July 12, 2008, 06:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonaCatalina

I need a new source for 5mm round earl beads in a cream color.
http://www.sunshinecrafts.com
now only carries the 4mm and 6mm and I've already started using the 5mm.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Cilean

Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail

Master James

I buy all my beads from Fire Mountain Gems and they are great and a good price.  I would go with the glass ones though as the acrylic ones tend to chip and lose their luster VERY quickly.  You can get really good glass ones for a relatively inexpensive price.  I got around 1000 4mm glass ones from Fire Mountain for $15.  Now while that's over twice what you would pay for the acrylic ones, I think they look much more real and hold up way better.  Just a thought.
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

isabelladangelo

Quote from: Master James on July 13, 2008, 09:21:24 AM
I would go with the glass ones though as the acrylic ones tend to chip and lose their luster VERY quickly. 

Ditto.  I tend to go with real freshwater pearls when I can and glass if I simply need too many to afford the real stuff.  (Freshwater tends to be fairly cheap though.  A 16" strand can cost as little as $2.)  I'd go with glass if you don't want to spend a little extra for the real FW pearls.  I buy all my beads either at AC Moore, Micheals, or one of our local bead shops (beadazzled, the bead shop, we have a ton around the Washington DC area).

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Acrylic beading is nice for  chemises  or shirts that can be washed on a  Gentle Cycle then hung dry.

I do concur that glass beading works the best for garb. Which reminds me, I need to order nore 4mm glass diamond cut beads for a Doublet I am making.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

DonaCatalina

I agree the glass beads are more durable. But I need about 3500 and I was hoping not to break the bank.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Master James

Like I said, I was able to get around 1000+ 4mm glass pearls for around $15, which is only a little more than you would pay for acrylic ones.  I think when I was looking it was around $10 for 1000 acrylic 4mm pearls.  So for 3500 you're probably looking at around $55 for glass and $35 for acrylic.  I know not everyone's finances are the same but for a more durable and better look , I think its worth the $20 extra to go with glass over acrylic.
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
FoMDRF
RFC #51

gem

Except that, as she's said, she's already started the project:

Quote from: DonaCatalina on July 12, 2008, 06:30:13 PM
I need a new source for 5mm round earl beads in a cream color.
http://www.sunshinecrafts.com
now only carries the 4mm and 6mm and I've already started using the 5mm.

Master James

OOOPS!  My bad!  Missed that!  :-[
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
FoMDRF
RFC #51