News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Discussion: was he it right or wrong for him to be upset?

Started by LadyStitch, November 18, 2013, 04:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyStitch

A little back story real quick.  I'm a professional seamstress by trade.  As such, I have over the years measured ALOT of people for costumes/ garb/ outfits. I can fairly well guess someone's size for clothing withing a couple inches.  I keep a data base of all my clients. I keep it confidential, and I only share the measurements with the client, and those who need to know for their work (Ie. my assistant). 
I was working in a costume shop helping put away items I had used for a show.   Inside was a fellow costumer, who was on top of a very high ladder trying to find pants for a the next show.  Since she couldn't' get down and look at her note book, she would call down and ask me to look something up, or ask if I new if "John Smith" wore a size 36 or 38 jacket.  Answer was 40 btw. :)  Over the past half hour she had been getting more and more frustrated with this one actor.  The size she told him in pants she would pull, he would go try it on taking 10-15 minutes  each time, and he kept saying "They don't fit".  She would then crawl back up the tall ladder to find something else.  After hearing him say, yet again, that he was a 32x30 I looked over to see what size he was.  He was NOT a 32, not even close.  I called up to her to pull a 36 or 38 inch waist for him.  The guy proceeded to get really hacked off at me because how dare I tell someone he was that big. How dare I question what size he felt he was. BTW she brought down a 38 and made him try it on.  It fit perfectly.  That made him even more angry.
I felt he was wasting the girls time by continually tell her the wrong size, and refusing to allow her to measure his waist.  I understand that people are sensitive about their size.  I just feel that if someone is trying to do their job, and it is to make you look good, getting angry at them for doing their job properly is not fair. 
By comparison, I've got an actor who is a sweetheart.  He told me what pant size he was 38x30. I gave him the " your kidding" look.  He said to humor him and tell him he wore a 38 waist when in reality we both knew he was a 42.  He knows it, I know it, and it is only shared with the other costumers that work with him.  He keeps pride in tact, and I get the information I need. Both are happy.

So what is your opinion. Did the guy have the right to be mad at me for telling the other costumer his real size?
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Sir Ironhead

Yes he was, after all, you're not supposed to talk about little children like that.

Oops, I'm sorry, I just realized that it was an adult you were speaking of, so the answer is no and he really needs to get a reality check on his ego.
Debaucheteer
IBRSC #1389
Sandbox Inspector
Iron'n M'Crack
Royal Order of Landsharks #41

DonaCatalina

It sounds as if he has bigger problems than his waist size.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

RenStarr

Sounds like "the princess" has a bit of a diva complex.  The person that had a right to be mad at someone based on your account is your fellow costumer.  This guy was rude to her, wasted her time, and made her job much more difficult then it needed to be.  I'd just ignore him in the future.   
Spiced rum....hmmmmm
Greetings, try this.
Starr Gazzer.
2013 TRF AHE RenNado.....heck of a night

arbcoind

Make him get up on the ladder to look for his own ill sized pants.  Bet he picks the correct size the first time.

Gina

LadyStitch

The guy earned a "black mark" in my book for his antics. I've worked with the guy once before. His character was the town's poorest medieval peasant. He whined he didn't get finery.  Responded with if he didn't stop it I would put him in tights and a short peasant shirt. He shut up.

One big thing I tell people, "Always be nice to people in the service industry." It doesn't matter if they are your waiter or your tailor.  If you only see them as servants, good things will NOT happen.  If you are nice to them, they will bend over backwards to help you.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Hoowil

Like I used to tell people: be nice to your waiter, he sees your food before you do.
Its a shame that people are not willing to let people do their job, when their job is to help.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.