News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

2014 Nebraska Reniassance Faire

Started by Rowan MacD, January 02, 2014, 02:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin the Elder

Butch is buying dinner?!? Maybe Nimue and I need to show up!  8)
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Butch

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on May 08, 2014, 09:54:15 AM
Come on!  I'll be happy to feed you!  I've already got a few places in mind that are out of this world!  I'll even let you buy me some whisky (I prefer Makers to Jack, though).

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Butch on May 07, 2014, 08:31:11 AM
The DQ on the way in to Bellevue from IA?  Coming across the toll bridge on 370 through the "older" part of Bellevue?  I had no idea it was over there.  That's the way we always come to Omaha.  (well, most always; sometimes we come in by the Henry Dorley Zoo).  I'll have to swing by!

So, Rowen, will you be able to speak with us?  Or do your courtly duties have your dance card pretty full?  I'll be wearing my fuzzy blue thrum cap (think Grover from Sesame Street), a blue doublet, white slops, stockings, and black shoes.  My personna is Pompon l'Honnete; an English sailor from Calais (France).  I will have just docked with ship, the HMS Flirt in your port city of Bridgwater!  Whoo!  A sailor on shore leave!

That's the one, so you can pick up a bottle on the way in ^_^.  I take it you were able to find accommodations?

Of course we will make time for you! The royal rent is the red and blue striped structure just to the north of the path as you enter the grounds at the top of the hill.  If the Queen is not on parade or at the children's realm doing knightings, her banner will be displayed in front. Parade is at 2. 
  We have a town crier in the newly built tower at the bottom of the hill; if you need to find anyone or any place-just ask her.   She is visiting from KC.
  We are expecting another frenchman, The Duc D' Anjou, to join the coourt this weekend on his quest to woo the Queen.   You will have a fellow countryman! 

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Butch

Rowan, that's all very good news!  Thank-you!

We'll be staying with some cousins in town, around Millard, maybe?

I wrote to Moonstruck this afternoon, and this is what they wrote back:

"Michael,

We are serving Show, Cherry, Peach, and Apple, The Berry & Pumpkin Ranch is selling them in single servings, no bottles.  It was a big hit last weekend.

For bottle sales, visit our tasting room located at 2221 Madison, Bellevue, NE, about 8 miles from the Ren Faire, we have the rest of the flavors to sample, open 2 to 10 pm on Saturday.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Brian Schlueter"

I'm looking forward to Saturday!

Rowan MacD

Saturday indeed!  Last Saturday we all headed over there for dinner and mead.  I highly recommend the Peach, but the Cherry is another favorite. I plan to try the Melomel.
I agree with the meadery when they say the wines were popular at fair-I saw many glasses being carried by ungarbed patrons, and I expect many more were being carried in mugs and goblets. The servings were more generous than the Chaucer mead I drank at KC. where I got about 4 oz for $3.00.
IWG wench #3139 

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Butch on May 08, 2014, 10:08:59 AM
Come on!  I'll be happy to feed you!  I've already got a few places in mind that are out of this world!  I'll even let you buy me some whisky (I prefer Makers to Jack, though).
You learn better when you get older....
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on May 08, 2014, 06:26:47 PM

Butch is no where near THAT old  ;D
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Butch

Quote from: Gauwyn of Bracknell on May 09, 2014, 05:44:10 AM
Quote from: Merlin the Elder on May 08, 2014, 06:26:47 PM

Butch is no where near THAT old  ;D
Heck, I can't event COUNT that high!

Butch

Please pardon my ignorance, but is there an opening gate show?

Butch

Had a GREAT time at the NE Ren Faire on Sat! Finally got to meet Rowan and her husband. What a great couple! I'm glad you were able to talk w/us. Also met "Sunshine" who was very bubbly! And, of course Lord Gauwyn and Lady Addilae (LOVE these two!).

The NE Faire was pretty full of vendors and events; much more than the one I went to a few yearsw ago in Scarey Acres. It was much better than I was expecting.  The Moon Struck mead was outstanding, especially the cherry!  The chow wasnn't bad either. Myy wife, Vicki, rarely goes to faires, but the Lord and Lady of Bracknell made her day very pleasant!

We really had a great time!

Gauwyn of Bracknell

we enjoyed ourselves as well.  Wish I had made the time to see Merlyn.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Butch

Time does get away from one, doesn't it?

Rowan MacD

Great to finally meet you Butch! Wish we could have had more time to talk, as it is we only got to see 2 shows ourselves.   We also missed Merlin. 
  We don't have an opening show (yet)-we just stand on the poop deck of the pirate ship, until the ticket booths open.
  That french mariners outfit is fascinating, and very well made; that's the kind of unusual garb and history research that David and I love to see.   I'm glad you and your lady had a good time! 
  We loved meeting Lord and lady Bracknell again, this was the first time we've been able to see them this year.

Our faire is small, but steadily growing.  From what I understand form the PTB-we exceeded the attendance goals every single day this year; and the first weekend didn't even have a joust.   I foresee an expansion on the horizon, particularly for the camping and parking lots.     
  We had a few new vendors this year, who will be coming back, and the new garb vendors (2) are of excellent quality, for those who wished to spend the money. 
   You could see that we don't have much room for cheap stuff in ill disguised pop ups, and the new board has decided to go with artisan vendors, rather than primarily Chinese trinket resellers. 
   We have had some issues with content and quality in the past, and those vendors were not invited back.
   Hopefully we can convince the Ranch owner to allow other food vendors in, otr to at least expand the menu-but he is a caterer, and has a proprietary interest in keeping the food concessions to himself.   I was disappointed that he did not have the chicken on a sword like last year; though his scotch eggs have improved.
   I think we are unique in that we actually have a pretty good sized second hand/consignment/accessories garb shop on site, so that the new-to-garbing patrons could get their feet wet with out spending a bundle.   The Hissing Serpent was doing a brisk trade in walking sticks, wooden swords and parasols, as usual. They also have a booth at the Des Moines  faire.
IWG wench #3139 

Butch

Wow! It seems I missed many of those shops!  Congrats on the attendance numbers!

Rowan MacD

One of the garb shops was just across the road from the Potters, and the other was in the children's realm.  Scots & Knots was there last year but the children's clothiers is new.     Pendragon Silver is in it's second year with us, since they did very well last year.
  We hadn't seen them vending in the area since the defunct Renaissance Festival of the Midlands ended.   
  Fairytale costumes (used garb) is in it's 2nd or 3rd year. They were in the big building next to the joust.   
   I would have liked to see the vendor again who is a regular at Riverssance in the red and black tent, who sold gently used brass wine cups and goblets, as well as re purposed jewelry and trinkets.
   We miss Faire & Fowle.  The feather artiste who made the fans and the hat plumes moved to Georgia.

IWG wench #3139