News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Profile picture

Started by Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard, January 04, 2014, 07:05:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

How do I go about adding a profile picture? Sorry to say I have not been here in awhile and would like to change a couple of things. Good to be back!
MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

Merlin the Elder

Joyce, if you are trying to use your current profile picture, use this link in place of the one you currently have: https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/1011967_10201578626889449_2024788565_n.jpg

When you use a picture, the link must be to the image itself, and not a page with the image embedded. Sorry for the geek-talk.

Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Rani Zemirah

I was trying to help Joyce with her issue, and tried to test my instructions on my own profile, and now it won't even accept the URL for my previous avatar... that I simply copied and pasted right back the way it was to begin with. 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Tried and tried and its not working. Can someone check this out pretty please?
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

Merlin the Elder

Joyce, the link I have above is directly to the photo.  The link I see for your photo on here is to a page rather than to an image. That will not work. It has to be the URL to the image itself. 

It is possible that the source website has hot-linking disabled, because it can affect their bandwidth (don't think that's an issue with FB, but who knows...) 

DonaCatalina

Some of Facebook's new privacy settings prevent hotlinking. Flickr or photobucket is a better choice for storing photos you want to be public.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Rowan MacD

Agree with Donna-I use Photobucket  to host pics. 
  It's also a good place to store pics that you don't want to lose, in case your computer takes a dump. Just be sure to mark them 'private'. 
  By using a 3rd party hosting site, your access to your photos is unaffected by any changes in the hosting policies of forums and FB.   Many places are trying to cut costs by reducing bandwidth use by preventing folks from using their bandwidth to host videos and photos being used elsewhere.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Rani Zemirah

My original avatar is hosted on Photobucket, so if it's not accepting it, then the issue is with the forum, and not the URL.  I'll try again now, but it wouldn't work yesterday, and I have never had any issues with using it in the past, so clearly something has changed here. 

Edited to update:
No... it's still not letting me link to any photo... not with a Direct Link, or an IMG link specifically for forums... nothing.  I even used the link to Joyce's photo that Merlin posted, to see if it was something I was doing wrong... and it doesn't work, either.  There is clearly something in the system here that is preventing the images from showing. 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Merlin the Elder

The link that you currently have loaded leads nowhere, Rani...   http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/sanjati/Scarby09/HPIM3435.jpg  If the link works for you--showing an image while you're logged onto Photobucket--then the issue is likely with your Photobucket settings.

Rani Zemirah

Merlin, my Photobucket setting for that whole album is Public, and that is only one of many photos I've tried in the last couple of days, including photos from my facebook profile that are the same as the link you posted to Joyce's photo.  It still doesn't accept any of them. 

If it will let me post this photo link here, then it should let me use it here as my avatar, correct? 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/sanjati/Scarby%2009/l_30d7758136d4472d82060ea9626c9e-3.jpg

But it doesn't...

I can even post the image, itself...

... but it still won't let me post anything at all as my avatar.

This is the facebook image I tried to change it to, as a test to make sure it wasn't the R/F forum settings that were the problem, and it wouldn't accept it, either...

Oh, and I am currently not logged into either facebook or photobucket, so it's nothing to do with my settings, since both photos still show up here. 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Merlin the Elder

Try this.... Replace the 3 characters %20 with a single space in the URL of the first pic.  The forum doesn't like the encoded space in the avatar pic. The second pic may exceed size limit for posting, but I don't know...

I have no issue when I change my photo, but did when I encoded the space with the %20.

Rani Zemirah

Well, look at that!  Thank you, Merlin!!!  :) 

Now, if you can work the same miracle for m'Lady Joyce, we'll be all set! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Thanks everyone,problem fixed!
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

Rani Zemirah

Yay!  I'm so glad I was able to explain it so you could understand it!  LOL 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Irma

This morning I attempted to change my avatar.  I selected the option to change the photo, added the URL to one of my Facebook photos, clicked the change profile button.  Now my profile has the "no avatar" option selected, even though that was not my choice.  Is there something I am missing?  Thanks.