News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Show Us Your Hats!

Started by Cloverpogue, July 13, 2008, 04:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloverpogue

I finally completed my pirate hat. *phew* I bought the blank and went from there.
I am interested in what you all have done as far as hats; all types, and if you made, bought, decorated, etc.

I bought the blank from JAS Townsend, hot glued the trim around the brim and crown, as well as the lace, and sewed it up for the tricorn. What a pain, but worth it, because I am proud of what I did.
~The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves~ Keeper of the Pirate Joe Bear, Capn'Car'nage, Mistress of Mischief~

gem

Oh, huzzah!  I *love* the hat envy thread!  We had one on the old forum, and it was such fun!

Clover, your tricorn ROCKS!  And you're rockin' it, so way to go, girl!

As for me, I have the pillbox hat in my avatar, which I made from linen and plastic canvas:

Then there's my tapestry hat from Lionheart Hats at KCRF--totally not-period-of-anything, but totally fun: 

(Click here for a Front View)

And I get *tons* of compliments on my straw hat, particularly when I tart it up with my garland from Heirlooms:

Cosima

I have this lovely feathered thing that I purchased at a shop at ORF. It was actually one of my first Ren Faire buys, and has turned out probably to be my favorite:

I also have the muffin hat that I purchased from Opehlia's at ARF, which I tend to wear less than the other:

I don't believe either of these are really period, but, they're fun at least!

Margaret

Hats!!  Hats you say!!

OK - in my avatar, that is my hat from Blonde Swan.  Loves it!

This is a wired brim flat cap:

My pirate hat:

My oft worn black tall hat:
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

DonaCatalina

Wired brim hat from Tall Toad

Sombrero Sevillano
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Master James

OK here are the hats my wife and I have gotten made for us from Margaret Roe Designs.

My avatar has my hat from last year that I purchased from Griffin Hats.  Here's a better picture.

I also have a tricorn and beret from Tall Toad but can't find a good picture of them.

Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

silverstah

I am SUCH A SUCKER for hats.  LOVE hats.  LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. :)

My goofy 'Flemish Bonnet' from The Wheat Goddess @ RPFS:

Plain linen caul:

Flat cap:

Cotton gauze veil:

Veil and wimple:

Pirate hat from Tall Toad:

Turban:

Catarina Caravello - Mistress of the Bobbins
\"Arrrgh.  Feed Dogs.  Arrrgh.\"  -The Pirate, sewing

Randal

<== Thrift shop straw hat. 50cents, and still had the original price tags on it. Added some red cord for a hatband, and stuck in a couple of feathers. Light, airy, and has held up well so far.

Randal
Vive Ut Vive

Pipere

My tall hat I wear while being Fortissima at MiRF. Twill over a fun foam blank, it's held up quite nicely!

I don't have any pictures of the current incarnation of my turban, but it's brutally simple I promise you.
Margraffin Katya Ghuttzout- Vulgarian overlady
Balquis al-Quasim- Turkish assassin
& the lazy college student Jeni

nliedel

Quote from: Pipere on July 14, 2008, 12:09:37 PM

My tall hat I wear while being Fortissima at MiRF. Twill over a fun foam blank, it's held up quite nicely!

I don't have any pictures of the current incarnation of my turban, but it's brutally simple I promise you.

I am so glad you posted the photo, cause I was about to cut mine from what I remembered yours looked like and I would have been badly wrong. I'm copying the cryer, I'm copying the cryer!!!

My journey from mundane to Ren Actor

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Wearing my Italian Bonnet

Wearing my French Hood with Silk Organza Drape with the lovely Lady Rosiland.

Dressed down wearing my Cavalier Hat

In the works are a new Elizabethan Tall Hat and Italian Bonnet in Black Velveteen I hope to have finished before MNRF!!!
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

AnyuBoo

These are some of the hats I've made for various members of the family:

This one is the first one I made for my first-ever Faire in 2004.  It's just a tube of fabric, stuffed, then embellished with ribbons and a few beads.

The one on the left is mine, the one on the right is my daughter's.  I made these using bristol board, covered with fabric, then embellished with ribbons and buttons.  The things at the front of each one are recycled earrings.  :D

My youngest son's hat.  Floppy green velvet hat. (Butterick pattern 5656)

My second son's hat.  I made this according to McCall's pattern 4805.

My oldest son's 1st hat.  Same as my youngest's hat, but with red velvet.

Hubby's newest hat...it still needs feathers.  Also McCall's pattern 4805.

Two views of "Capt. Lilla the Daring's" hat. 

Two views of "Capt. Pyros the Red's" hat.

The two pirate hats were made from blanks bought at JAS Townsend.  Because I hate combining fabric and glue, I stitched the trims on.  For the flat trims, my machine was able to handle most of it, then I hand-stitched hubby's red marabou trim, and used buttons to form the tricorn.
When everything seems to be coming your way...
...you're in the wrong lane!

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Me and Franni Franken in our TITANIC styled hats. Franni, who bought hers at a fundraiser last year,  wears hers at rallies and parades when Al is appearing.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Pipere

Since we're also sharing non-Ren hats, here's my tiny topper I wear when I'm being Victorian:

CARDBOARD AND VELVET HOT-GLUED AT 2AM BABY <8D
Margraffin Katya Ghuttzout- Vulgarian overlady
Balquis al-Quasim- Turkish assassin
& the lazy college student Jeni

Cloverpogue

Wow, you guys are awesome! I really wasn't expecting a warm response to this thread, and I am happy I started it.
We really do have a wonderfully talented bunch of hat lovers here. I was happy to share my love as well.  :D
~The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves~ Keeper of the Pirate Joe Bear, Capn'Car'nage, Mistress of Mischief~