News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Ren Faire Myth

Started by Charlotte Rowan, July 14, 2008, 10:02:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PurpleDragon

And we cannot forget the ever popular "Renaissance Faires are only for Pagans and Gamers".
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

Valiss

good point Purple

"So do you guys play DnD or what? Who is the elf?"

PurpleDragon

Quote from: Valiss on July 14, 2008, 02:57:04 PM
good point Purple

"So do you guys play DnD or what? Who is the elf?"

Nope.. I'm a Seventy-Fourth Level Warlock in the Church of Buffy The Vampire Slayer.
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

groomporter

Quote from: Charlotte Rowan on July 14, 2008, 12:02:28 PM
the myth surrounding the Bear at MNRF.

What myth surrounding the Bear?
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

groomporter

I think it's more of a west coast thing, but what about Privie monster? Although it might fit under the title of "urban legend"

...Also known as "Harvey." (Watch the "Flukeman" episode of The X-files.) A story behind the term Once upon a time, at the old Southern Faire in Agoura, there were reports of a "privy monster" lurking in the dark depths of the pit toilets. After a few days of the unrest, an individual was finally arrested, armed with a wetsuit, mask, snorkel, and camera, for depositing himself in the sludge, and taking photos for posterior's... er... uh... posterity's sake, to fulfill his personal fetish.

-quoted from my tongue in cheek "Glossary of Terms for Historical Hobbyists"
http://www.historicgames.com/glossary.html

maelstrom0370

Quote from: groomporter on July 14, 2008, 05:58:18 PM
I think it's more of a west coast thing, but what about Privie monster? Although it might fit under the title of "urban legend"

...Also known as "Harvey." (Watch the "Flukeman" episode of The X-files.) A story behind the term Once upon a time, at the old Southern Faire in Agoura, there were reports of a "privy monster" lurking in the dark depths of the pit toilets. After a few days of the unrest, an individual was finally arrested, armed with a wetsuit, mask, snorkel, and camera, for depositing himself in the sludge, and taking photos for posterior's... er... uh... posterity's sake, to fulfill his personal fetish.

-quoted from my tongue in cheek "Glossary of Terms for Historical Hobbyists"
http://www.historicgames.com/glossary.html

Actually, that one pops up connected to most events that use porta-pottys

Charlotte Rowan

Quote from: groomporter on July 14, 2008, 05:50:34 PM
Quote from: Charlotte Rowan on July 14, 2008, 12:02:28 PM
the myth surrounding the Bear at MNRF.

What myth surrounding the Bear?

Not myth as in "story people tell or thing they say that isn't true." The color purple, TRF being bought by Disney - these are all what I mean by "misconceptions."

By the myth surrounding the Bear, I mean what it means to people, what it symbolizes. It was constructed, became a symbol of Faire for many people, so much so that it's still called the Bear Stage even though the Bear is gone, and that last year (or 2 years ago? I forget) there was a Teddy-Bear tribute with a sign saying "We miss you Papa Bear." And now the Bear is gone. This is the stuff of legend. Not fake, made-up legend, but real-life legend. The true story is becoming a myth - a story that helps us define who we are and understand our culture - before our very eyes. I am sure there are such stories out there from years, even generations, ago as well. That's the kind of stuff I'm interested in.

So please!! No more discussion about the color purple!!  ;)
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

groomporter

Perhaps "icons" of fair, or "mythic symbols" would be better terms for what you're looking for?

-Like Carr Hagerman's "Ratcatcher" character might be another one for MNRF?

Or MNRF's old "BLT" Blue Lion Tavern that was torn down and replaced with the "Big Lousy Tent"

Twig the Faerie has certainly become a prominent photographic symbol for all the fairs she appears at.

Of course then there's Puke & Snot, or Zilch the Torey Steller...

Blue66669

There are all kinds of myths concerning the proper way to make loki.....

..... none of which I can discuss here though. You know, top secret...
Blaidd Drwg

groomporter

Another one especially for participants at MNRF would be the late H. "Mac" McMillen and his booth Thistle Leather. He was the original maker of leather drinking mugs or "jacks" at MNRF.

HE started at MNRF as a performer - (brought out the Royal Scottish Dancers) - Fourteen years as Piper and leader of the daily parade. He introduced the Water Tight Leather Drinking Mug to the Renaissance Festivals in 1977 and performed MNRF weddings for about ten years. At the end of his career with the MNRF, he was a Shop Keeper producing leather mugs, pouches, personal wear items, and other custom leather work.

Charlotte Rowan

Quote from: groomporter on July 15, 2008, 09:06:36 AM
Perhaps "icons" of fair, or "mythic symbols" would be better terms for what you're looking for?

-Like Carr Hagerman's "Ratcatcher" character might be another one for MNRF?

Or MNRF's old "BLT" Blue Lion Tavern that was torn down and replaced with the "Big Lousy Tent"

Twig the Faerie has certainly become a prominent photographic symbol for all the fairs she appears at.

Of course then there's Puke & Snot, or Zilch the Torey Steller...

Yes, exactly. In class we call it myth, but certainly "mythic icons" works too. And YES, BLT is a perfect example. And the fire at MNRF. And yes, Thistle Leather as well. Thanks!

Loki's a good one, too, Blue - the fact that it's top secret is part of the myth! :)
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

Valiss

Quote from: Charlotte Rowan on July 15, 2008, 09:40:01 AM
Loki's a good one, too, Blue - the fact that it's top secret is part of the myth! :)

Indeed, the recipe being "top secrect" is the myth.  :) 

Count Adolfo

Well, I believe the atmosphere itself... the chivalry, the grace... the way in which we carry ourselves at Faire... all part of the 'myth'.
Same with the anachronisms of Elizabethan pirates wandering amongst medieval knights and renaissance courtesans.

But as for specific myths... relating to a single Faire... I have not really seen them so much here myself but I know certain cast members become somewhat legendary... and that I have seen.

Bill Tuttle
King Henry VIII, MDRF and FlaRF

He is sorely missed.

Valiss

Quote from: Count Adolfo on July 15, 2008, 02:11:59 PM
Well, I believe the atmosphere itself... the chivalry, the grace... the way in which we carry ourselves at Faire... all part of the 'myth'.

You know that is an interesting point Adolfo.  I have often wondered if someone I met at faire who was nice would be the same way if I met them outside of faire, like at thier job.  Probably not.  I think we are more... what are the words....  into the spirit at when at faire.  The courtesy or extent to which we will offer is probably magnified at an event where we feel comfortable and with like-minded folks.

Count Adolfo

Quote from: Valiss on July 15, 2008, 02:15:09 PM
Quote from: Count Adolfo on July 15, 2008, 02:11:59 PM

You know that is an interesting point Adolfo.  I have often wondered if someone I met at faire who was nice would be the same way if I met them outside of faire, like at thier job.  Probably not.  I think we are more... what are the words....  into the spirit at when at faire.  The courtesy or extent to which we will offer is probably magnified at an event where we feel comfortable and with like-minded folks.

Well, I can tell you on no uncertain terms that Count Adolfo is a different person than Bryan is... and many playtrons are in character there so yes, you're going to see that the way you're treated is different.
Molden said it best when he said that his persona is him with the volume turned all the way up.  This applies, I believe, to many of us.  The persona is an amplification so if you met me in person, I'm not as brash or as romantic or as arrogant as Adolfo.
I am all of these things... just not as much.

So Adolfo... is a myth... an exaggeration...
we are all myths.