News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Ren Faire Myth

Started by Charlotte Rowan, July 14, 2008, 10:02:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VIII

Quote from: GirlChris on July 17, 2008, 11:04:57 AM
Quote from: Count Adolfo on July 15, 2008, 02:11:59 PMBill Tuttle
King Henry VIII, MDRF and FlaRF
He is sorely missed.
Um... it was actually Huttel. He was also Henry at the Ontario Renaissance Festival up here in Canada until he passed away. The man is a legend in two countries- not many ren faire performers can say that.
Thank you for fielding this one, GirlChris.  Yes, Bill Huttel was a giant of a man, in more ways than just size.  I have a great 'behind-the-scenes' photo of he and me at the Ontario Faire.  My wife, Susan, and Bill were the two American performers hired for the Performing Company at Ontario.  You could say Bill helped to introduce us.

Thank you, Bill, you are missed.
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

DonaCatalina

Someone recently brought up one I hadn't heard in awahile (Lyss maybe?)

If you know the right people you can get invited to the wild sex parties after hours

ROFL
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Merlin the Elder

My lady and I actually heard something to this effect from a vendor at Scarby a few years back. She wouldn't let me hang around after evening cannon...  ;)
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Blue66669

*whistles innocently*
Blaidd Drwg

Tammy

Quote from: PurpleDragon on July 14, 2008, 02:54:21 PM
And we cannot forget the ever popular "Renaissance Faires are only for Pagans and Gamers".

You mean, that isn't true??  :'(

:D ;)
Royal Protector of Raccoons, Mistress of the Poi, Best Friend of Windland/Nim, Guppy, Seamstress for The Feisty Lady.

groomporter

Quote from: DonaCatalina on May 18, 2010, 03:19:33 PM
Someone recently brought up one I hadn't heard in awahile (Lyss maybe?)

If you know the right people you can get invited to the wild sex parties after hours

ROFL

Reminds me of a line from one of our friends. "It's not who you sleep with at fair, but who you say NO to that says more about you."

After 20 years at MNRF I still haven't gotten an invite to the orgy  ::)
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Queen Margaret

Quote from: groomporter on May 20, 2010, 07:29:02 PM
"It's not who you sleep with at fair, but who you say NO to that says more about you."

That is VERY true.

So many people think poorly of the festivals because of the myth about wild, crazy debauchery. Truth is, there are many fine faire folks with high personal sexual integrity. Sometimes the legend is more tawdry than the reality.
A calm sea never made for a skillful manner. -English proverb

Noble Dreg

Seems to me I've heard the same myth about college campuses and outdoor music festivals.

I am shocked, shocked I tell you that wherever men and women gather in large groups to play that it invariably leads to procreative activities!  It's like it was part of human nature or something!

Perhaps we should get the guy's over at "Myth Busters" to do a story on it...I can here the end of the program now..."Sorry Adam, even the kissing wench booth told me to pound sand, myth definitely busted.  That's right Jamie, I couldn't even get a FOP to look twice at me in a kilt"!
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

Leyla

Oh Dreg, I so needed that laugh right now!

Charlotte Rowan

Yes, Dreg, delightfully funny as always!!
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

Blue66669

Well, tell them to stay away from my camp LOLOLOL!
Blaidd Drwg

Tammy

*makes a point to find Blue's camp*  =D
Royal Protector of Raccoons, Mistress of the Poi, Best Friend of Windland/Nim, Guppy, Seamstress for The Feisty Lady.

jcbanner

Not really all to sure about myths, renfaires are not all that old after all.  Still living memory and what not.  But we do have a good mix of stories, tall tales, urban legends and superstitions.

At GSLRF, we have a few superstitions about the weather, such as never say outloud types of bad weather.  If you hear one of us say something about "that F word" we're talking about water flowing out of the out of the creek and across the grounds.
and wearing blue underwear keeps "that R word" from happening.  we don't like wet stuff falling from the sky and don't want to tempt it.

We also have several stories we tell about things that have happened at faire. 

Never tease the med staff at the faire, and here's why.  A few years ago a cast member was teasing the head of the safety/med staff and started acting like he was having a heart attack.  Playing along, the staff member grabbed up an AED, pinned the cast member to the ground and proceeded to read aloud the instructions.  Step one: Shave chest...  He stopped short of connecting the cables. but some razor burn to remember
the next year the same cast member was in a scripted duel with someone and the last day of faire, instead of pulling a dagger at the end, his opponent pulled out a razor.

DonaCatalina

One renfaire myth that crops up a lot is that only peasants wore brown.
Judging by several paintings, I believe that may not be true.

It may be something faires started to differentiate between classes for their cast.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

LadyStitch

Our clan has the "Grizwald legend".

Every year we don't want rain at TRF.  Our good luck charm are the Grizwalds, yes we camp with the Grizwalds.  ::)
As long as they are at camp with us, we will not get rain, but soon as they leave, buckets will fall from the sky.  I kid you not they weren't there for set up last year, until late.  I rained until they got there, then it stopped.  Each night they would go to stay at their hotel, it would start raining.  One year  gorgious weather all weekend.  Then they leave, and 3 super cell thunderstorms roll in.
We have gone so far as to rent a travel trailer in order to get them to come to faire.  We will not go to TRF without them!

I'm not sure if this is us being nice, or just tradition.  Every year we feed the beggars.  Basically we usually will invite over a bunch of stupid drunk guys that only have booze in their cooller. -"Who needs to actually eat when you have jack daniels?" -  The reason being 1) we usually have WAY too much food, 2)  When our monarch was 17 he WAS one of those stupid drunk guys. A group of fellow rennie campers invted him into their camp for dinner and and breakfast. They wanted to make sure he got something to eat. 
Since then our monarch wants to make sure 'stupid people' like him are taken care of, all he asks is that they pay it forward to someone else someday.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.