News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Ren Faire Myth

Started by Charlotte Rowan, July 14, 2008, 10:02:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shandi

Quote from: maelstrom0370 on July 14, 2008, 12:26:09 PM
Not exactly sure if this what you're looking for but I shared this story on the old board in a similar thread....

A woman was on her way to a Faire (I heard it was in New York) and was taking a short cut through (Central) park.  She was wearing a cloak which covered her neck to feet and a man attempted to mug her at knife point (must be an old story).  ANYway, as the story goes, she drops the cloak revealing that she's wearing a full suit of chain mail and draws her sword, says something along the lines of "I see your 6 inches and raise you 36".  The man runs off and she continues her way to Faire.

More of an Urban Legend (of which I'm a HUGE fan) than a myth I suppose.
Hope it helps.

HAHAHA!!
a guy in the SCA in Austin swears this happened to him on 6th street! I knew he was full of it!
"Chase the Morning" "Yield for Nothing!"

DonaCatalina

There is a story recounted in "Knights Next Door" about the SCA group in New York. Someone was coming back from fighter practice and decided to wear his chainmail and armor under his coat rather than try to carry it on the subway. Someone tried to mug him and decided that he wasn't being cooperative enough and stabbed at him. They were quite surprised when their cheap stainless blade broke in half. He filed a police report and the photo of his leather armor with the gash and the nicked chainmail apparently made the newspaper.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Capt. Morgan

The Trustee's and some residents of the township where our Faire is held (Great Lakes Medieval Faire in NE Ohio) are notorious for trying to shut the Faire down and have come up with some real doozie of complaints which I think might qualify as "myth". Everything from...the pounding hooves of the joust horses are responsible for windows breaking up to a mile away to arrows from the Archery Range miraculously flying through several hundred yards of dense forest and embedding in peoples lawns to residents being kept up at night from the lights on the "Tilt-A-Whirl" (yes, I kid you not...a Tilt-A-Whirl at a Medieval Faire). Needless to say....this is all BS...but those lovely narrow minded folks keep plugging trying to find some way to shut our Faire down.
I can be one of those "bad things" that happen to bad people.

Merlin the Elder

You gotta watch those ICBA's (Intercontinental Ballistic Arrows), Captain, they tend to get away from you!

It would seem to me that the township would be glad to have the boost in their economy, especially these days. And I thought the folks in my state were screwed up...
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Celtic_Fae

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on October 02, 2010, 08:46:31 AM
You gotta watch those ICBA's (Intercontinental Ballistic Arrows), Captain, they tend to get away from you!

It would seem to me that the township would be glad to have the boost in their economy, especially these days. And I thought the folks in my state were screwed up...

The county where I was trying to bring a faire has the highest unemployment rate in the state. You'd think they would have welcomed the additional tourism and money brought in, too...

Athena

Oh, believe me, that argument has been made countless times but they don't care. They're hell bent on shutting the faire down, and nothing will persuade them otherwise.

Another myth they like to perpetuate is that traffic from the faire is horrendous, a noisy nuisance and safety hazard for the township. In all my years attending I've NEVER seen anything close to what they claim. The arrow myth seems to be their favorite, though. Someone supposedly found one on their property again this year.  ::)
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Merlin the Elder

Does anyone have the slightest clue what the real issue is? Was someone on the township council slighted in the past? What you describe sounds like some sort of payback to me.

Terry Griffith

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on October 02, 2010, 04:17:03 PM
Does anyone have the slightest clue what the real issue is? Was someone on the township council slighted in the past? What you describe sounds like some sort of payback to me.
Indeed, the situation has reached mythical proportions.  There are so many stories as to the initial cause of the battle that all that remains certain is that the Township Trustees have spent thousands of pounds in lawsuits in an attempt to close the Great Lakes Medieval Faire.  I have told the story in song on Youtube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YSfPamQn8o just to bring awareness.  There are also links on that channel to media coverage of the affair.
The only other thing that remains constant is the sincerity of the owner and the unwavering support of faire goers behind him.
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

Capt. Morgan

My Lord Merlin, one could raise an eyebrow at such miracle arrows as you point out but we all know, having done archery at Faires, that most (not all) but most arrows used are askew and usually have only one (plastic) fletching...hardly the type of ammo Henry the V would prefer at Agincourt and certainly not of the caliber to make it through dense forest and end up in someone's yard...unless the curvature of said arrow permits the navigation around trees and if such is the case...mayhaps we have solved that mystery! LOL!

Smaller than the township (which has no traffic light or store that I can think of)...are the minds of the Trustee's. First it was the Transient Vendors license which was illegal, next they wanted the profits from the sale of ale which normally goes to charities...that bug-a-boo resulted in no ale sales at Faire this year and no donation to charities (tho a very liberal BYOB existed). The only thing that is more aggravating than Faire Myth is Faire Drama...

Blue66669

I know that the traffic from TRF has been known to cause back ups for 3 hours or more! I can understand the traffic, but the regular revenue being pumped into the town from gas stations, eateries, and random traffic citations from Magnolia PD LOLOL!
Blaidd Drwg

Capt. Morgan

Unfortunately, the township where the Faire is situation has none of that...gas stations, eateries or even a frickin' traffic light that I can remember seeing...you want a "one horse town"? Trumbull Township is just that. Now...the counties and towns around the Faire do profit from the Faire and they love it!

Want to talk about an agonizing wait to leave a Faire? Maryland! UGH! And THAT is no myth! LOL! But...still love you guys!  ;)

SirRichardBear

I grew up in Fayette township which is just like Trumbull Township it was good enough for great great grand pa so its good enough for us. 
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

analise

Quote from: Capt. Morgan on October 04, 2010, 02:59:49 PM
Unfortunately, the township where the Faire is situation has none of that...gas stations, eateries or even a frickin' traffic light that I can remember seeing...you want a "one horse town"? Trumbull Township is just that. Now...the counties and towns around the Faire do profit from the Faire and they love it!

Want to talk about an agonizing wait to leave a Faire? Maryland! UGH! And THAT is no myth! LOL! But...still love you guys!  ;)

That's why you make friends with boothies and hang out with them till 7:30 or 8:00 PM before you try to leave. ;)

(though actually this year I've been leaving by 6:00 or 6:30 to avoid the rush)

Becky10

Quote from: Capt. Morgan on October 04, 2010, 01:40:12 PM

My Lord Merlin, one could raise an eyebrow at such miracle arrows as you point out but we all know, having done archery at Faires, that most (not all) but most arrows used are askew and usually have only one (plastic) fletching...hardly the type of ammo Henry the V would prefer at Agincourt and certainly not of the caliber to make it through dense forest and end up in someone's yard...unless the curvature of said arrow permits the navigation around trees and if such is the case...mayhaps we have solved that mystery! LOL!

Smaller than the township (which has no traffic light or store that I can think of)...are the minds of the Trustee's. First it was the Transient Vendors license which was illegal, next they wanted the profits from the sale of ale which normally goes to charities...that bug-a-boo resulted in no ale sales at Faire this year and no donation to charities (tho a very liberal BYOB existed). The only thing that is more aggravating than Faire Myth is Faire Drama...

You mean like this?
::)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzJd5GVDVDY
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

Merlin the Elder

HAHHAHHAH!!! I can't believe you brought that movie up tonight, Becky! Some friends and I were talking about that very movie less than an hour ago. May the gods bless Mel Brooks, comicus genius!