News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

police

Started by beeboy, July 14, 2008, 11:23:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beeboy

what do you do if a cop stops you and inquires as to why you have such weapons in your car/bag/person?

Lord Dragonspyre

You explain, politely, that you attend renaissance festivals, and that the weapons are part of your costume.
Corrupting Impressionable Youths Since 1976.

IBRSC#1475, RMG#820, IFRP#1276
Horseman of Debauchery

beeboy

I was thinking of saying that I work at renfest, that it's a work prop, and that because it's peace tied I couldn't open it if I wanted

DonaCatalina

Don't volunteer more information than neccesary. It sounds like you're trying to make something up.
Lord D nailed it.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Valiss

Tell them you are a very dangerous person and if they don't step back, you will destroy them.

And no, I can't afford to bail you out!  :P

Anna Iram

I would contact my local Police station and just ask an officer.  Explain you attend faires and ask how you can transport your weapons within the guidelines of the law.

beeboy

well im on the road, and laws vary from city to city. 

*Teach*

What I find funny is when they ask "Do you have any weapons?"
And then I explain that yes I do, I have a mace and a flail.
Then comes the look...
Then comes the question "You have a What?"
Then comes "Can I see that?"
Then... by the time I have shown all my weapons the police have forgotten why they pulled me over in the first place.
Has happened twice so far, no tickets yet.
Just tell them you're a reinactor and they won't care.
Unless they are a total jerk... then you're screwed regardless

*I would have much more trouble explaining the rum and loki if they ever checked the bins...*
*Got more Rum?* "Here, Try This!"
http://forums.wearephoenixrisen.com

BLAKDUKE

A polite answer should be the best remedy, however I question the validity of such a question from any police officer.  Blades are not illegal and no license is needed to carry them except if you are on a public street and they are concealed, I believe the legal length is 4", such as a pocket knife.  Further I know of no way to hide a 40' hand and a half battle sword,
but if it is in your trunk then without probable cause he has no right to invade there-in.  Of course probable cause is debatable and the gendarme most likely thinks that if he stops you then he has probable cause.  I would check with the local constabulary.    
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

"Excuse me kind Sir, but could you direct me to the Crusades?"

KeeperoftheBar

"You didn't just pass the dragon I have been tracking, did you?"
Landshark # 97
Member, Phoenix Risen

Valiss

Quote from: beeboy on July 14, 2008, 11:40:48 AM
well im on the road, and laws vary from city to city. 

I don't think it's illegal to have them though, so like most said, just explain who you are and where you are going.

Valiss

Quote from: Warrior_Monk on July 14, 2008, 11:54:21 AM
"Excuse me kind Sir, but could you direct me to the Crusades?"

I LOL'd.

*Teach*

"I don't have knives or guns, but I do have these spikey balls"

That always gets an interesting look regardless of the situation

*or offer them rum, they might like that*
*Got more Rum?* "Here, Try This!"
http://forums.wearephoenixrisen.com

Cobaltblu

I would ask him if it is illegal.

If he says no then I would get in my car and leave.

Unless what you are carrying is illegal there is no reason you have to answer any questions...and no reason for the cops to start asking questions.

I doubt a renaissance dagger or sword is illegal anywhere because all they are is a length of sharpened steel.  I know certain "knives" like switchblades or gravity knives are illegal in certain jurisdictions and the reasoning is that they have a design which allows them to be concealed and opened very quickly and that the "only use" for them involves crime, which makes them a "dangerous weapon".

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.