News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Crusader "Brain" bucket

Started by Monsignor de Beaumanoir, December 14, 2009, 11:38:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

Can somebody tell me where I might find a helmet such as this, or employ someone of such skill to fabricate one based on special dimensions?

Chris B

http://www.merctailor.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=69

I bet Allan would leave the nasal off and make it to your specs....Message him and ask.

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

Thanks, a message has been sent. ;D

SleepyArcher

Knight, FOP, Pirate, Woodsman...I am a man of many faces.

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

Your first choice would require a lot of work when compared to the second one. Both have the deciding issue when it comes to decisions for me...........internal circumference at the brow of 24". >:( :'(

ALS

Quotehttp://cgi.ebay.com/VIKING-CELTIC-BARBARIAN-HELMET-All-Metal-Helm-Spike_W0QQitemZ360214368120QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53de730f78#ht_3952wt_941

I found this that you could probably take a few things off it and make it look like that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Steel-VIKING-BARBARIAN-BEOWULF-HELMET-Helm-New_W0QQitemZ380184640664QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5884c53c98#ht_3400wt_941

I also found this, it looks like they modeled that one after something of the Vikings?

The first helmet, is actually cast, while there appears to be steel rivets holding the fraom together and plates in place, if you look at the inside pic theres no trace of them just the few brass rivets holding the nasal. Given that it is states as being made from all metal but is cast, it likely that its not steel but some sort of pot metal. This would concern me as a project helm as pot metal can be brittle so there is risk of cracking during the removal of the nasal and replacing of the missing rivets with new ones.

The second helmet is steel, but with the blackened finish of indeterminate origin ( is it painted, is it powder coat , a heat or chemical induced color? ) it may not be the best " first project " helmet. It is likely that there would be some contact with tools and/or working surface that may mar the finish and depending on how it was produced may not be able to be touched up to your satisfaction without special equipment or sending it out ( power coat ).

SleepyArcher

Another option would be to find out who made the movie and contact that place. Find out who did the costuming and such.

ALS

It very possible that the armour in the film is mostly cast resin pieces as that is becoming increasingly common in film making these days. I poked around on the internet a bit and found nothing referencing an armourer getting credits in the film. Next time I talk to Mikey at Albion ( they made all the swords for the movie ) i'll ask if he knows wheather and armourer was on staff or not.

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

Stephen Ralphs was the armorer I belive. He's also online for working the 2010 Robin Hood movie, and has some other major flicks on his resume.

ALS

Arhcery seems to be Stephen speciality and his filmography is huge. He has worked on virtually any flick where anything like a bow and arrow was used. I've been to Steve's site and he has only the bows he makes listed there ( theres no gallery of armour ) so while he is listed as the armourer in the credits and did the gear for the film it seems that his archery gear is what he offers for sale. His prices are reasonable from what I saw by the by.

SleepyArcher

What is the site? I would like to check it out please.

Sir William Marcus

Stephen Ralph is without a doubt the "go to armorer" for some incredible productions including, Gladiator, 13th Warrior, King Arthur, KoH, Troy and Arn just to name a few.
VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.