News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

police

Started by beeboy, July 14, 2008, 11:23:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Figaro

Quote from: knightofistari on December 18, 2009, 11:53:29 AM
I don't think a cop can say anything about a sword or any other period blade as long as its in the back seat or trunk

Depending on what the laws would make a difference though knightofistari, a blade as long as a sword "is" a deadly weapon, even if it isn't sharpened. You might want to read the info I found on this website that has links to each states laws regarding that.

http://www.ebladestore.com/knife-laws-50-states.shtml
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana

Black Armor

Great link Lord Figaro.  The bottom line is check your state's laws and carry your blades in accordance with them.  Knowing the laws and using some common sense when transporting your blade goes a long way.  If your state law says you can carry your sword on your front seat and you chose to do that then go ahead, it's your right.  But if you get stopped by a police officer, he/she is going to question you about it because that's their right.  The officer's first priority in that situation is going to be making sure that you are not a threat to him.  Just tell the truth and explain that you're on your way to/from faire and it is part of your costume.  As long as you are carrying it within the guidelines of your state law, that will likely be the end of it; however, if you get an attitude and start ranting about your "rights" and telling the officer that it's none of his business why you have the sword, you're just going to cause problems for yourself.  No police officer is going to turn his back and walk away from some irate motorist who's armed with a large sword.  

Marcos Charron

This is so simple, out of sight, out of mind.

Common sense says if they can't see it, they won't have anything to say about it. If the ask you to exit the car, do so, and lock the doors behind you. If they ask for permission to search the car, tell them to get a warrant first. If they ask why, tell them it's your right to demand a warrant for them to search.

No police office will push the point unless you give them reason to. Remember, it's a legal system, not a justice system. They are looking for grist for the mill, and if you incite them, or roll over for them, you might as well just get in the back of the car and ask to be taken to jail.

Marcos
At the faire or in the wood shop, that's where I am!

Rapier Half-Wit

Here's part of what I think I'm hearing:

When approached by an officer, be sufficiently timid.
Speak only when spoken to.
Defer to the officer in all things, including their opinion of your possible gender.
Never (under any circumstances) give the officer the idea that you have any ability to defend yourself. Against anything. Even a wet paper bag.
Never give the officer the idea that you would even think of standing up for yourself. Even to a wet paper bag.
When the officer asks, be prompt to produce your papers.
No matter how personal the questions, answer any question the officer asks.
Always keep it first and foremost in your mind; this is all for your own good.

And for God's sake, be grateful for the police. After all, they're only here to help.

[Did I use sarcasm in posting this? Obviously. Is this perspective over the top? I don't know. Ask the officers on this board how they react to anyone that displays any measure or form of personality or individualism. For most of our posted experiences in this thread, the officers that we have had first hand contact with have demonstrated the need to feel like they were the biggest swinging male appendage walking down the street.]

Beeboy, my suggestion to you is to keep your head down and mouth shut. If at all possible, avoid contact with the police. If it isn't possible to avoid them, be whatever form of doormat that you find the least distastful. Keep your identification in your hands at all times. Don't ever reach into a pocket for anything.
If her eyes aren't sparkling, you didn't do it right...

escherblacksmith

All right folks, at the point we start bashing police as a group (sarcasm or not), we need to rethink the point of this thread.

The request was what has been the best way to handle weapons traveling with one from home to faire and back (or to the next faire).  I believe we have covered that concept in virtually every way conceivable.

It is obvious this thread has run its course.

PM me if you have a valid reason for it to be reopened.

thanks!
--