News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

police

Started by beeboy, July 14, 2008, 11:23:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poldugarian Warrior

That's usually the rule here in Michigan also. Open carry is allowed according to certain counties and cities. Pistols and rifles included in northern villages and the western parts of the state. But, usually you must have a CCW, with blades no concealed wepaon license required.

ManAtArms1122

I would just state you do renfests.  It is unsual for a person to drive around with a melee weapon in the car.  It will raise questions.  Most cops will just think you are weird.  Others will understand. ;D
Axes, swords, and hammers, oh my.........

BubbleWright

I just read all seven pages of this thread. Since my persona does not require a weapon of any kind, I found the discussions a learning experience. I appreciate the historic accuracy that many strive for when carrying weapons and dressing in armor. This is all done for the Faire. The problem is getting to and from the Faire with such accoutrements.  I would like to make a suggestion which might alleviate problems with transporting swords and knives. Granted this won't help with other types of weapons but it would cover those with swords and knives. Most Faires that permit weapons require them to be peace tied. Why not just bring a modified weapon that has most of the blade cut off and is permanently (welded/riveted) into the scabbard. The look of the item would be just as threatening yet it would be just a costume prop. I'm sure a police officer, upon examining such a weapon, could see by its lack of heft and not being removable from the scabbard, would not have a problem with it. This is not to argue the pros and cons of the discussions presented here but to offer a solution that gives the line of least resistance to the problem of interaction with an officer of the law and carrying an item that defines your character. Just a thought... 
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

jcbanner

there are some people that do that if the weapon they are carrying is nothing more then a prop, but for many others, cutting the blade is not an option, cast and performers will need the full length blade and must be able to pull it from the scabbard.  Many others have expensive swords. and a few, like myself carry swords that are not replicas.  What ever the case, for most people, rather the weapon is a cheap decorative wall hanger, an expensive reproduction, or an original, a weapon is something we take much pride in.

When I travel with my sword, it's locked inside of a military footlocker in the back of my suv.  Never had any issues because it's both unreachable to anyone inside the car, and it is locked up.

Poldugarian Warrior

As stated by jcbanner and myself before, put the weapon(s) in the rear of the vehicle in a case or bag, or in the trunk. Also, by cutting a blade, it throws the weight of the blade off and carrying the sword in a sheath can be quite difficult and will cause it to hang in non-natural way making it look ridiculous. So just make sure it's peace-tied and put in the rear of your vehic covered in a bag or case where the police won't see it.

Sir Michael Geare

If ever stopped and/or questioned by the police...

Above all else, don't be stupid by going into character.  Simply inform them that you are going/work for a Renaissance Faire/Reenactment Event and that the weapons are props.  I do Historical Stage Combat so my weapons which are live steel are considered props.  We technically can "practice" in open parks and such being that it is considered a prop.  By practice, I mean rehearsing choreography or A Tiempo training and not bashing each other for the heck of it.  Of course leave it in the trunk and not in the back seat preferably in a case.  I wouldn't exactly try and hide it by covering it up since that might cause suspicion.

I totally agree with not cutting the swords down on purpose.  It will unbalance the weapon and be more trouble than it is worth to compensate for the inbalance.  Regardless, unless it is cut down to the hilt, it will still need to be peace-tied since the purpose of peace-ties are to prevent others from pulling it out and stabbing people with it.  So you might as well leave it intact.  I, for one, do not own cheap weapons so have no intention of trimming down even the replica wall mounts.
'The exercising of weapons puts away aches, griefs, and diseases, it
increases strength, and sharpens the wits.'

Keno

The second to last day of the des moines ren faire I got stopped by a cop (cops, one stayed in the car).  I was going the speed limit and following the rules, I think the white top I was wearing pegged me as "one of those people"...  Well I forgot my sash still had one of my smaller weapon attached to it, (It was peaced tied) He looked at it and not even asking for said he was going to take me in.  Just to say I really wasn't in the mood for this guy, I over slepted and was late with no breakfast.  This guy already side he was going to take me in so I decided to mess with him.  I asked what was his take down time, he told me under a minute.  I yanked my weapon from my sash and handed it to him and told him if he can get it untied in under a minute he can take me in.  He never got it untied and after his friend was done laughing he yelled at him to just let me go before she sues us.  Handed it back and let me go.  Good things, I have a new person to show around and a friend with a hurting leg.

I will tell others never do this.. I'm a moron sometimes with a short temper when it comes to cops.  I say keep them in the trunk til your home or where ever your going, I know people forget they're wearing it but its better to be safe than sorry.
This years travels 2013

Performing
Travelers Cross Faire in Strang, Oklahoma

Vending
Iowa Renaissance Festival in Amana Colonies, Iowa
Iowa-Minnesota Pirate Festival in Clear Lake, Iowa
Des Moines Renaissance Faire in Des Moines, iowa

groomporter

Quote from: beeboy on July 14, 2008, 11:40:48 AM
well im on the road, and laws vary from city to city. 

Keep them in the trunk (or as far away from you as possible depending on the vehicle) so unless they have reasonable grounds for a search there's no reason for it to come up.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter

Hope to the Powers above we never get stopped, we have not only blades and swords and rapiers of divers types, but flintlock small arms and usualy 2-3 cannon and plenty of black powder!
If the rum's gone, so is the fun
*images and URLs not allowed in signatures* -Admin
Party like it's 1724

Poldugarian Warrior

Well, Capt. that seems like a well armed carriage. You should have no problem having a successful shootout with the cops.

beeboy

at least im selling weapons now so I can state I'm an arms dealer and my blades are either extra stock or work knives

Poldugarian Warrior

Even when sellin. When movin blades by vehicle put them in the rear cargo area as far away from you as possible if your vehicle doesn't have a trunk and put them in the trunk if it does.

Lord Figaro

I'm reminded of an incident I was told about back in the 80's when some Mass state troopers stoped an Army duece & a half that was carrying weapons. For some idiotic reason the cops pulled the truck over and wanted to search it, but the seargant that was driving tried to tell them they can not search a military vehicle (there were armed guards in the back with M-16's. It ended up where the truck was surrounded by several police cars and the guys in back had to prepare to defend the items of an "unknown" nature. The unit commander ended up having to come down and demand that the police chief came down and order his men to stand down or the guards in the back of the truck would have to repel them with extreme force.

I can only picture what that would be like with a bunch of swordsmen. I'm was surprised it was never in the news and no one even found out about the incident though, that was a bit odd. I've always wondered how they did that one.
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana

robert of armstrong

Quote from: Lord Figaro on October 11, 2009, 06:43:41 AM
I'm reminded of an incident I was told about back in the 80's when some Mass state troopers stoped an Army duece & a half that was carrying weapons. For some idiotic reason the cops pulled the truck over and wanted to search it, but the seargant that was driving tried to tell them they can not search a military vehicle (there were armed guards in the back with M-16's. It ended up where the truck was surrounded by several police cars and the guys in back had to prepare to defend the items of an "unknown" nature. The unit commander ended up having to come down and demand that the police chief came down and order his men to stand down or the guards in the back of the truck would have to repel them with extreme force.

I can only picture what that would be like with a bunch of swordsmen. I'm was surprised it was never in the news and no one even found out about the incident though, that was a bit odd. I've always wondered how they did that one.

Stories that include "I heard that once...." usually didn't happen.  Third and fourth person information usually isn't all that reliable.

I don't know any cop that is going to interfere with a military vehicle or transport, and I am a cop, so I know lots of them.  The military has it's own police service.
Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

Sir Ironhead

Quote from: robert of armstrong on October 12, 2009, 04:15:40 AM
Quote from: Lord Figaro on October 11, 2009, 06:43:41 AM

Stories that include "I heard that once...." usually didn't happen.  Third and fourth person information usually isn't all that reliable.

I don't know any cop that is going to interfere with a military vehicle or transport, and I am a cop, so I know lots of them.  The military has it's own police service.

In March of 2003, while riding a US Government marked and plated bus to Beaumont Texas to board the ship transporting my units vehicles to Iraq we were pulled over by a Texas Ranger who decided he needed to arrest the driver (a civilian) because he wasn't licensed to drive a bus in Texas.  The ranger boarded the bus and somehow missed the 3000 rounds of 50 caliber ammunition along with the two machine guns for said ammo (they were in the front seat) along with the 20 Soldiers standing around ALL of us armed with M-4 carbines and a basic load of ammo for that weapon.  After several long distance phone calls back to Fort Carson including one where the post commanders aide explained that he was interfering with a US military mission and no one would be able to save him from this screw up he let us go.  Therefore I have no trouble believing a duece got stopped.

HOWEVER, telling the state trooper in the story he can't search a military vehicle was tantamount to waving a red flag in front of a bull.  He could search the vehicle, it would just be a waste of everyone's time. 
Debaucheteer
IBRSC #1389
Sandbox Inspector
Iron'n M'Crack
Royal Order of Landsharks #41