News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Best faire in California?

Started by Valiss, July 14, 2008, 03:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valiss

I've been doing faire on and off for over 10 years.  I've done a good bit of traveling around the state and been to my share of faires.  I figure by now, I've seen what there is to see at a faire as I thought I had been to most or all of them. But it came to my attention recently (via this website: http://www.renfaire.com/Sites/) that there are over 30 fairs in Ca! 

So for those of you in the golden state, what faire do you like the best?

Lady Toadflinger

Over the past 6 years, I have been to nine faires in Northern CA.( I have been to most multiple times) I haven't had the money to go farther South than Gilroy, unfortunately. My favorite faire is Valhalla, in So Lake Tahoe.  I love the location and the atmosphere of this faire.  It just seems to me that people are more relaxed there, and everyone is having fun. The trees smell so good, and most of the faire site is shaded. I also like the fact that it goes on for two weekends. In the North area, the only other one that does is "Northern", which is too far away from me and too expensive for multiple visits in one year. I am also very fond of the Sonora Celtic Faire and the No Cal Pirate fest. Really, I am thrilled to be able to attend so many faires that are within 3 hours of my home! (Placerville area) Huzzah for California!!
keeper of the royal menagerie

jfdonohoe

I have wanted to go to the Valhalla faire for years but have never been.  Neither have I been to the Patterson's Santa Barbara one.

I think the Casa De Fruita faire has come a long way to restore the local's faith and this is the one I visit every year.

Two years ago I went to the So Cal faire that had just recently been kicked out of the St Helena area to a park location situated on a man-made lake.  The new location was great!  I thought it was much better than the old one.

So I haven't answered your question about a favorite since my experience is pretty limited but just wanted to pass along some thoughts :)

Merry

I am with Lady Toadfinger.  Valhalla has a magic to it that I look forward to every year.  I love the multiple weekends and next year I hope to get the family to stay and camp during the week between.  The producers host the local elementary schools during the week and I hear what a wonderful time everyone has for that.  I'm semi local, like Lady Toadfinger, so it's also my home faire:)

RumbaRue

The Escondido Renaissance faire in north county San Diego is the best the area has to offer. Felicita Park is beautiful with oak trees for great shade. Lots going on and even a playground for the little tykes.

The faire runs two weekends in the spring and fall.
Also the Ojai events in spring and summer are good too.

You can find out more about it here:http://www.goldcoastfestivals.com/index.html
Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

NorthBayDreamer

OK, lets se here, I have been to:

1. Faire Oaks
2. Folsom - Basically the end of the season, possible the highest % of people in garb, very high guild presence. Lots of energy.
3. Valhalla - The best setting and the most relaxing.
4. Sonora - Fun because it has Celtic flare.  Only one open till late.  It has a magical feel wandering the lanes after dark.
5. Nor Cal - The biggest and getting better every year.
6. Vallejo Pirate - Great little faire and amazing considering this is only their second year.  Had a great time.
7. Cains Crossing

I must say and agree that Valhalla is my favorite, we have been there the last 3 years and I look forawrd to that one all year.  Being in the heart of a forest really adds a touch magic and I really like the layout.  It is sort of set up like a spoked wheel, so it is nice just to criss cross the grounds all day long.  Sort of just a lazy walk with no particular direction.
Lord Lisle (when a Nobel)
Horndog (when a Pirate)
Master Thomas Boddinham (when a middle)
Landshark No. 67

Valiss

I think Vahalla and Ojai are probably the best in terms of setting.  With Vahalla you basically have faire in a forest which not only has plenty of shade, but makes for an excellent atmosphere.  Ojai faire is located next to a lake has tons of grass and trees and is just beautiful. It seems there are quite a few faires that are in a park downtown somewhere.  I wish there was more opportunities for faire promoters to hold the events outside of a busy areas.

Hoowil

Lets see, I've been to a few.

Casa de Fruta (aka NorCal) is ok. Definitely the biggest in my neck of the woods, but after a few site changes, it does seem to be in need of a little healing. The current site is ok, but I don't care much for the layout. Too crowded of a lane, and the single switchback looses alot of the village type feel it used to have at Black Point. I don't remember much of when it was at the Nut Tree. I think with a little reworking, it should be great again. Granted, I missed last year, so things may have already improved greatly.

Fair Oaks is fun. Its a quicky faire for me. Small, but usually with a good feel to it. I like the proportionally large number of guilds and groups that fill it out. Also, and going along with that, the closeness of some of the demonstrations and displays feels more inviting. Little bit on the smoky side this year.

Sanora, used to be Calevras, is one of my favorites. Love the focus on music. But again, one of those that I liked the old site better. Sitting right off a major road, where traffic is visable from a couple of the lanes looses alot.

Somehow I always miss Valhalla. I try every year, but something seems to always come up.

Hit Southern Faire a couple years back, for the first and only time. Not what I had expected from the reputation it has, but worth going to. Just too far to go from home.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

callalilly

I like the faire in San Francisco best for the weather ;D