News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Security with Firearms at Renaissance Faires?

Started by Cobaltblu, July 15, 2008, 04:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobaltblu

Have you been to a renaissance faire where the security officers carried firearms in plain view on their person?

I saw some this weekend at a faire and am wondering how common the practice is.

What are your thoughts on the practice?

If they do carry firearms are they concealed or visible?

If they carry firearms and the faire allows peace-tied historical weapons do you think the firearms are there to ensure enough force to stop a patron who draws steel?

Personally I think they are out of place and don't belong because they are contrary to the good-natured/pleasant/celebratory nature and atmosphere of a faire.

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

Valiss

Usually one of the Scottish clans are working for faire, and they usually have polearms or swords. 

If you are talking about a modern gun, then only the cops who stop by are carrying them, just like the State Fair.

Cobaltblu

Yes I mean the security guards carrying modern firearms (guns).  Perhaps these are off-duty cops working as security.
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

Just Randall

TRF employs sheriff deputies and constables, in uniform.
Drunk people do stupid things.
Drunk people like to fight.
It is not the performers responsibility to deal with drunks, that's what the cops are for.

They also deal with stalkers, thieves and assist with lost children.
They also handle traffic control in the parking lot and on the main road out.

I for one am glad they are there, to remove the small number of troublemakers so that the rest of the patrons can enjoy their day fully.

Cops deal with idiots, because I shouldn't have to.
Mediocrity is the refuge of the unimaginative...

GirlChris

No. No no no no no. We have security, but it's usually just of the "this is a very large human being. Do you really want to mess with him?" type. They have walky-talkies and whistles, but definetly NOT guns.

But then, I'm from Canada.

eloquentXI

I have to agree with the Capt. on this. Put alcohol in the mix and people who don't know their limit, and you have people being stupid. Starting fights with other mundanes, or hassling the cast and performers.

We as Rennies, aren't there to start trouble. But not all of the mundanes share that same respect that we do.

I do not have a problem with there being armed security personel on site.
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

will paisley

Quote from: GirlChris on July 15, 2008, 05:54:01 PM
No. No no no no no. We have security, but it's usually just of the "this is a very large human being. Do you really want to mess with him?" type. They have walky-talkies and whistles, but definetly NOT guns.

Many faires have both.  Security with radios who can call for help and help straighten out misunderstandings, and actual police officers who are armed and can legally arrest people too full of liquid stupidity to know not to mess with very large human beings.
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

groomporter

In accordance with Minnesota's gun carry permit laws MNRF has signs posted at the front gate stating that guns are banned from the site. They usually have an armed officer, or two from the local Sheriff's department stationed near one of the gates, but they do not actually patrol the grounds.

The fair's own unarmed "Safety Services" crew patrols the site (at most they might have some pepper spray, but I don't remember seeing it). Some are in bright red and yellow livery as plainly visible first aid people carrying red & yellow flags on stout 6-foot wooden poles, and others are in plain clothes. All have radios, and occasionally will call the sheriff's officer to help if they have someone they have trouble dealing with. All the beer and wine booths are also supposed to have radios
-----------
I know years ago (late 1980's?) here in the northern wastes heard wild rumors that TRF actually had security with automatic weapons.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

anne of oaktower

Sad as I am to say this, I can see the need.  A decade ago there probably wasn't a soul among us who had been impacted by terrorism.  Today it is a different story.  Not only do we have drunk 'danes on occasion, but there is also a very real concern whenever and wherever there are large crowds of people present.  It's good to know that there are those who are willing to protect us (if the need arises) while we go about our merry rennie way.
aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

Al-Nimer

I don't remember seeing any armed security patrolling Scarby, at least they weren't carrying visible firearms if they were.  I only saw uniformed officers by the First Aid booth.

We were just at CoRF, and there were a lot of armed security, as well as safety officers, patrolling on-site there.  I think this did make the atmosphere a bit different, but with so many people attending in danes, it's probably necessary.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam, Mythbusters

Lady Amy of York

I know which faire Cobaltblu was talking about , for i was there also.  Yes there was security officers in yellow shirts, and black pants or shorts  with guns strapped to them.  I personally was happy to see them there.  I hate to say this, but i have been to faires, where people start drinking, and get rowdy  and things get out of hand.    As a parent with a young child along, I was happy to see the  armed security there keeping the crowd under control.  Matter of fact i thought it was the best behave crowd in the last few years, and maybe it had to do  with their being armed security.

You have to remember that even though this said faire is in a rural area, we are not to far from  four major cities where sadly shootings, drugs  and gang violence is on the rise. 

At any outdoor event/or even indoor event, you can't be too careful these days, unfortunately. 
And who says it is getting away from the historical, friendly atmosphere of faire.  Do we forget what some of the streets of London , and other small cities were like back in the renaissance days?  There were beggars  and theives, and murderers  back then.   We had the town sheriff and the Queen's or King's guardsmen patroling the streets back then armed with weapons.

So anyway, i am all for having armed security guards.  As the old saying goes " Better safe  then sorry  ." :)
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

Just Randall

Also remember that TRF has from 15,000 to 35,000 patrons PER DAY.
Mediocrity is the refuge of the unimaginative...

PurpleDragon

Quote from: captfletcher on July 15, 2008, 05:41:20 PM
TRF employs sheriff deputies and constables, in uniform.
Drunk people do stupid things.
Drunk people like to fight.
It is not the performers responsibility to deal with drunks, that's what the cops are for.

Cops deal with idiots, because I shouldn't have to.

AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

groomporter

Quote from: captfletcher on July 16, 2008, 01:39:34 AM
Also remember that TRF has from 15,000 to 35,000 patrons PER DAY.

MNRF can do that as well, I wonder what the difference is in the community or attitudes is. Does the nearby patron camping at TRF have a partial effect?
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

PurpleDragon

Quote from: groomporter on July 16, 2008, 07:59:03 AM
MNRF can do that as well, I wonder what the difference is in the community or attitudes is. Does the nearby patron camping at TRF have a partial effect?

Paritally, however do the math.

Texas + Beer + Rednecks + Beer + Bodices + Beer + Men in Tights + Beer = Need for Armed Security
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.