News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Calling all FOPS

Started by Master James, July 15, 2008, 05:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Master James

First I don't know if this is the right place or not so feel free to move it if its not.

I have decided to do a FOP for Day of Wrong at MDRF this year since they don't have any at all and also I normally play a noble.  The garb is not the problem as I have  real nice orange/peach satin and pink satin that I'm going to do a puff and slash doublet, paned slops and jiffy pop hat out of.  When I get them done I'll post pictures. 

My problem is the makeup.  What do you use?  How do you apply it so it stays all day and doesn't run?  I have a beard and mustache so how do I white those out without cutting them off?  I really want to do this correctly and I have some time so any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Valiss

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

A FOP  was more of a way of dress and acting and not so much make-up. While make-up would or could help convey FOPPISHNESS, it would not be a requirement. One of the best FOPS I can think of was in the Modern Scarlet Pimpernel with Jane Seymour in it. THis guy had FOP to a T. Heath Ledger in Cassanova was another.

If you were to do make-up a beauty mark would enhance that as would a whiter/paler face. Make sure you have a lacy hankerchief you wave around or carry tucket into your sleeve cuff.

Wikipedia says this about fops
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fop

Hope that helps
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

isabelladangelo

Oh, a dandy!   (Well, that's the 18th c word for it)   

For makeup, maybe the thick Elizabethan make-up complete with white powder and heavy rouge?

groomporter

As the wikipedia entry states a Fops tends to be a later term as well

MNRF had one of the longest standing group of Fops from the late 1980's and stayed together as a group at least until 1999. Every year they would come up with new outlandish costumes often in the same color and acted as the "royal fashion consultants"
http://mrffriends.tripod.com/pages_groups/fops.html
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

gem

Sorry, MJ, don't have an answer the question at hand, but I did want to address this poster's question:

Quote from: Valiss on July 15, 2008, 05:16:33 PM
FOPS?

Yes, I don't understand the all-caps thing, either; don't let it confuse you.  The word "fop" just means, as Isabella said, a dandy (think Stephen Fry or Hugh Grant, for modern day foppish fellows).  Many fairs now have a "fop court," mostly male characters who dress in over-the-top court garb with colors you'd typically associate with fashionable 18th century clothing (pinks, pastels, etc).  At KCRF, the fop court consists of the queen's florist, tailor, jeweller (a woman, actually), etc.

Unfortunately, I can't find any quick shots of the male KCRF fops, but here's a picture of Lelia from the 2006 cast (I can't remember her character name, but she used to be a forum member here):

Lord Paulet is probably the forum's most, ahem, flamboyent fop portrayer (as Lord Austin Tatious).  I'm sure he'll weigh in when he pops by again.

Master James

Thanks Gem that is EXACTLY the look I'm going for!  I was hoping to hear from Lord Paulet as well and I think we had a few others from KCRF on the board as well.  Hope to hear from them.
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
FoMDRF
RFC #51

SleepyArcher

I use a cream based make-up (clown paint) and then set it with baby powder. Cream again fro the eyes, you can use eye liner if you wish. Then top it off with lip stick. A good curly long wig or short straight wig is nice too.

Goo dluck and I cant wait to see pics
Knight, FOP, Pirate, Woodsman...I am a man of many faces.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Master James....

May I suggest Ben Nye makeup. This is a brand of professional makeup developed for Universal Studios back in the 1930's used for Stage and Screen use. I wear it a lot when I do my Goth Vampire persona. It goes on so cleanly and wears so nicely, you can't tell you are wearing it.

Ben Nye can be found at most Costume Shops. There are kits, powders, shadows, etc for the professional look that wears all day.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Master James

Thank you both that is exactly what I was looking for.  And Sleepy that was going to be my next question, to wig or not.  Question is where would I get a nice wig that's not to expensive?  I'm not going to do this more than once a year or so, so I don't want to spend a lot but I don't want one of those Halloween store wigs that look so tacky either.  And having a shaved head, without one I was afraid of looking like a clown and I don't want to do that.
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
FoMDRF
RFC #51

PurpleDragon

Quote from: Master James on July 16, 2008, 09:10:29 AM
Thank you both that is exactly what I was looking for.  And Sleepy that was going to be my next question, to wig or not.  Question is where would I get a nice wig that's not to expensive?  I'm not going to do this more than once a year or so, so I don't want to spend a lot but I don't want one of those Halloween store wigs that look so tacky either.  And having a shaved head, without one I was afraid of looking like a clown and I don't want to do that.

Might I suggest www.paulayoung.com for wigs. I have found they are quite reasonably priced and they do look much better than those halloween wigs.  I know Frederick's of Hollywood had a nice long curly one but that was years ago when I saw it in their catalog.
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

Lady Toadflinger

Believe it or not, I have seen some pretty decent wigs at thrift stores, so that might be an option for you. You can find some amazing things at thrift stores.  I am disappointed to say that I have never seen any fops at the Northern California faires that I have been to!  Perhaps I just missed seeing them.  I'd love to enjoy their wonderful garb at faire! Sigh...
keeper of the royal menagerie

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I have seen Fops with wigs in Pinks, Purples, Blondes, curly, China Doll Style, Short, Long, etc. It depends on what style you want.

Having worked many years in a Costume Shop, Lacey Wigs out of New York City carries wigs that are very nice, Rental Quality, reasonable priced that can be washed like regular hair, and kept in good condition for many years. Again, check with your local Costume Shops if they carry Lacey wigs. I have several of the Lacy Wigs that I have had for 6 years now and they still look like new.

Hope this helps.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Master James

Thrift stores are a great idea!  I'll have to check and see there.  Thanks for all the helpful information!
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
FoMDRF
RFC #51

theatrekat

Thrift stores are awesome.  I have also purchased a few really nice wigs from ebay.  Depending on what you're looking for, you can get an amazing price on a brand new, good quality wig.  And some of the sellers will get it to you incredibly quickly without costing an arm and a leg in shipping.