News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Calling all FOPS

Started by Master James, July 15, 2008, 05:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mythrin

I agree with Lady Katherine about Ben Nye, it is good stuff.  If you are prone to sweating you might consider "Barrier Spray" after the setting powder. This can be acquired at the same costume shop that you could get theatrical make-up.  The over-the-counter make up translucent powder if finer than baby powder and may not look as heavy. Another good "powder" that adds some white color is corn starch.
Chris
Founding member of the Living History Company

"go Secret Squirrels"

SleepyArcher

I use the Ben Nye stuff, very nice stuff.

Once you do a FOP you will do it more than nc a year, its sooooooooooooooo much fun!!!!!
Knight, FOP, Pirate, Woodsman...I am a man of many faces.

Master James

LOL I'm sure it is Sleepy!  I'm really excited about doing it!

OK next question, I'm not shaving my beard or mustache so do I leave it alone or put the white makeup on it?
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Why even do the make-up. Do a fop modled after the Scarlet Pimpernel. He put on airs and seemed SO harmless and had such an over the top accent that was snob like. As the Wiki said Fop is a cloths horse that tries to be artistocratic and maybe he is. Bruce Wayne of Batman is a good example of a modern fop. Cruella De Vil could be considered a female fop, Elton John, David Bowie are all modern fops. Many 80's/90's Glam metal bands were Foppish

Another great Fop is Babington in Elizabeth R and even The Earl of Leicester Robert Dudley.

in this case of a fop you then just dress over the top and put on major aires. You keep the beard, don't need an over the top wig. Maybe a beauty spot, but that's it or light make-up.

A Major misconception of a fop is all the make-up and wearing women's clothing or styles. It's more how you act and react and how your clothing is very rich and gaudy and over the top.

Be vain about how you dress and appear. Always be worried about how you lok, Carry a small mirror and make sure you look your 100% best if not better. Make fun of how other's dress or appear since they are beneath you... or not
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

SleepyArcher

i suggest you powder you beard/mustasche
Knight, FOP, Pirate, Woodsman...I am a man of many faces.

Anna Iram

Just a note. The best way to powder down your makeup is to put the powder into a cotton sock. Tie it in a knot and use it like a puff! Work it on your hand first to get it flowing. Works great!

You can also use it to give a heavy dusting of powder to you facil hair if you wish. Just lean your head back and holding it over your beard "work" the sock so that the powder falls through.

Be sure to do the powdering outside and cover your garb if you've already dressed. Powder *will* be everywhere!

Queen_of_Navarre

Use the white base thinly, believe it or not it will stay on longer that way. Poweder lightly the facial hair and your own if desired. Line the eyes top and bottom in a Jack Sparrow typle. Color the cheeks in two roundish spots of color on the cheeks, add lip color and a beauty spot and you will have a wonderful look.
Reyna Marguerite Regina d'Navarre
Royal Order of Landsharks #45
Keeper of the Hairless Cats
Artist of Crescent Moon

Master James

I was looking at the Ben Nye makeup last night and I'm not sure which one to get.  Sleepy you said you use the clown makeup.  Is that regular one or the clown light one?  Also, what poweder should I get to set it/cover my beard with?  I saw they had a "natural", which looked white and a "super white".  Problem with the "super white" is they say it is not translucent which means any eye liner etc... would be covered up I'm guessing.  I figure if I get this all figured out now, I can then do some experimenting before the actual day.  Thanks everyone for the help on this!
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Trillium

Perhaps when you are experimenting, try without whiting out your facial hair and then with it whited out.  Take pics each way to help you decide which way you like it.
Got faerie dust?

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

MAster JAmes,,,,,,

Ben Nye makes Clown White in various sizes. I suggest the smaller size to start with and a small White Face Powder. A eye pencil in Black will also be needed. I have the Ben Nye makeup brushes which are sable than acrylic hair. They wash easily and will last years. You can also get Makeup Brushes at most stores. I suggest a nice inexpensive set that has a face powder, blusher, eye, and lip brushes.

AS for shadows, Cover Girl and Maybeline make nice shadows for the eyes to get the look you want. Some FOPS wear red or pinks for lip color.

When applying the makeup base, be sure your face is clean with a Cleansing Creme rather than soap. A light moisturizer may help. Apply base with sponge applicators for the even look. You can use the white with an old toothbrush for your facial hair and eyebrows. Use a brush to apply the facepoweder to set adn do downward strokes. Putting on the makeup before getting dressed works better.

I suggest for removing makeup with a Cleansing Creme then finishing with a Toner with a COTTON ball to remove traces of makeup. It's easier on the skin. I also was a Skin Care Consultant years ago as well. To this day after 30 years, soap does not touch my face.

Hope these suggestions help. You can also renmail me if you need more information.

Ben Nye is the brand used today still for many films for it's ability to withstand the lights, sweating, etc. It's professional grade after all.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

gypsylakat

I will also suggest that depending on what you're wearing if it needs to go over your head AFTER putting your makeup on, cover your face with a towel or a pillowcase or something to keep your makeup from getting allover your clothes
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

Anna Iram

James, my opinion, I would not go for the whitest clown white. The lighter clown white will still read as the correct period makeup without being too glaring.

http://www.elizabethancostume.net/makeup.html

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

A light, thin layer of white will be sufficient in giving a paler look to the skin with the powder. Not suggesting heavy. Though I have seen heavy in some Fops. I
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

volans

As a poor college student, I swear by using regular old Baby Powder rather than the face setting stuff. works miracles. I wore white face all last year during TRF and I never, ever sweat off my make up, as opposed to others in my group who did, using real setting powder. I also used ben nye white face, though I can't remember if it was super white or not.

OH, and as for 'barrier spray', another cheap, lasting alternative. Hairspray. Close your eyes and mist that make up. I used it and, as I said, I never had make up problems.
I sat watching a flower
as it was withering
I was embarrassed by it's honesty

Master James

WOW who knew there was so much in getting on makeup!  Thanks for all the help and advice!  I'm really excited about doing this!  I got the idea last year but never go the time to make the garb so I WANT to do it this year.  Getting the fabric the other day pretty much put me on the path to getting it done!  When I get it all done I'll post some pictures.  I can't wait!
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
FoMDRF
RFC #51