News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Countdown to MDRF 2019

Started by Amras Elfwine, May 10, 2008, 12:24:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady_Glorianna

Quote from: Marietta Graziella on May 31, 2008, 10:08:03 AM
*MG peeks her head in*

Here's hoping you get RenDezvous next year so I can justify a trip to MDRF!

Oh wait, that overlaps with MNRF.  Gasp!  To faire?  or To faire?  Hmmm...

I do hope we get it this time too! I believe MDRF's run  is longer that MNRF so it would depend on what date is picked. In any case, I'm sure you will enjoy the adventure of visiting our realm as we would love to welcome you and everyone to Revel Grove!
Lady Elizabeth Poyntz
Ynez de Leon
Catherine of Austria, Queen consort of Portugal
Molly Blair

Scotsman

MG in MDRF ... oh the humanity!
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

will paisley

Quote from: Scotsman on May 30, 2008, 06:06:32 AM
Coming up on 80 days ... I guess I better start getting my Liver in shape ...

I think I saw it down at the VARF tavern, about halfway through a 10K run, hardly working up a sweat.  ;D
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

~pixie~

To tide you over, come down to VARF!  There are two more weekends left to get your "faire fix"!
~ Pixie ~
the wicked wench
Rose Seller VARF
IWG #785 Local 42 MDRF
aka: Gold'n Penny
Irish Penny Brigade - Clan White

Scotsman

Quote from: ~pixie~ on June 02, 2008, 02:06:26 PM
To tide you over, come down to VARF!  There are two more weekends left to get your "faire fix"!

Heck, I was there last weekend! We are coming back for invasion weekend 14/15 June.

Thanks for the Liver update Will ... I knew I could count on you ;D
I think I worked it out quite well last weekend ... but still a long way to go to get in shape for MDRF!
Yup ... time for two-a-days! Call it mini-camp or preseason 8)
Kilted Rogue #1411
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56

mellingera

I tried that Saturday, it was grand, don't get me wrong, but it was no the same. I am however going back 6/15, some faire is better than no faire...

will paisley

Quote from: mellingera on June 02, 2008, 03:38:28 PM

I tried that Saturday, it was grand, don't get me wrong, but it was no the same. I am however going back 6/15, some faire is better than no faire...

There are a few of the same performers, and quite a few of the same attendees.  Obviously, it's much smaller and not the same, but for those jonesing from serious MDRF withdrawal, there's no excuse for not coming down for some cider, catching up with other rennies and singing Old Dun Cow and Wild Mountain Thyme.  And nowhere at MDRF will you hear any Irish Blues or "That's What I Like About Rum"  :D

mellingera

Will, I truly did enjoy myself, please so not misunderstand!  :) As I said, I do plan on returning to VARF again this year and it will be on the itinerary for years to come. It is just that I realized during the rather loooong ride home it still had not cured my withdrawal for MDRF! It did help to ease some of the pains, but I will definitely need more treatments if I am to make it all the way till August  ;)

SirBlackFox

To help prepare ourselves for MDRF's arrival, NoirCyn and I got into our Black Fox regalia and parked the truck on the grass.  We listened to Albanach on the CD player and moved the truck forward 2 feet every half hour from 7pm untill 10 pm last night.  To make it more memorable, we hired a neighborhood kid to throw white gravel dust into a fan blowing on the truck and paid his dad to get drunk, stumble onto the hood, scream "Huzzah" and puke.

It was almost like being there.
Publisher, Faire Magazine, The Concordium, & The Pyrates Way
Founder, FriendsofMDRF

Black'n McCrack

Scotsman

Indeed ... that about sums it up.
Honestly, I am usually unconscious for most of that  ;D
Kilted Rogue #1411
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56

will paisley

Quote from: mellingera on June 02, 2008, 04:57:53 PM
Will, I truly did enjoy myself, please so not misunderstand!  :) As I said, I do plan on returning to VARF again this year and it will be on the itinerary for years to come. It is just that I realized during the rather loooong ride home it still had not cured my withdrawal for MDRF! It did help to ease some of the pains, but I will definitely need more treatments if I am to make it all the way till August  ;)

My apologies, the last part of my post was not directed at you at all.  It's just part of the frustration I feel when I read post after post about people who seem to be suffering from such terrible MDRF faire withdrawal that an ambulance is about to haul them off to rehab, and yet haven't thought of (or bothered) making the trip to an open faire where they can see some of the same performers and socialize with many of the same friends.  For that matter, even this characterization isn't fair, as the comparatively short 90 minute drive I would normally have to faire from my house is such a hassle that I've been getting a hotel room this year. Still, it strikes a nerve to hear people (not you) go on about how *far* away MDRF is when I've been talking to the likes of Captain Moone and Dinty the Moore all season (not to mention a list of my neighbors from the White Hart).  I think the original point of my post was to point out some similarities you might've missed (that might help quell the withdrawal a bit more), and then some misplaced frustration leaked out.  Sorry about that.

jmkhalfmoon

What I love is with VARF and MDRF it is like one long fair - especially if you throw in a trip to PARF in the middle.  You get to meet people at VARF in a nice relaxed environment, practice your faire speak, hone your skills and mend all your garb by the time MDRF rolls around.

Respectfully,
Lady Jayne

Scotsman

Never thought of it that way ... we usually start in NCRF, progress to TNRF, through VARF, passed GLMF, into ORF and drop straight into MDRF!
From there we hit PARF and close it out with CRF. Hopefully we will get to a couple in between.
Kilted Rogue #1411
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56

jmkhalfmoon

Well you certainly keep busy you don't you.  I thought we were doing a lot by trying to hit four faires this year, but I bow in honor to your dedication.

Humbly,
Lady Jayne

Scotsman

Quote from: jmkhalfmoon on June 03, 2008, 02:42:28 PM
Well you certainly keep busy you don't you.  I thought we were doing a lot by trying to hit four faires this year, but I bow in honor to your dedication.

Not at all friend. We consider ourselves very fortunate to be in an area that is sooo close to so many faires. All are within reach and a relatively close drive (except TNRF). We are also very fortunate to have jobs that allow us the flexibility to travel. We feel truly blessed. Please, come play with us when you can.
Kilted Rogue #1411
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56