News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Countdown to MDRF 2019

Started by Amras Elfwine, May 10, 2008, 12:24:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotsman

I was not there but my understanding was that opening weekend of MDRF 2007 was the worst in the history of faire! Let us hope there is no repeat of that.
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

Lumpy

Quote from: Scotsman on August 11, 2008, 06:38:53 AM
I was not there but my understanding was that opening weekend of MDRF 2007 was the worst in the history of faire! Let us hope there is no repeat of that.

So very true, it was a heat the likes of which Revel Grove had never felt before.
Founder, MDRF Friends of Faire
Dread Pirate Lumpy
Lump'n M'Crack

lowlandscot

I was at both MDRF 2007 opener as a playtron and the now becoming legendary Hell Weekend at VARF 2008 as a performer, and at least I now feel immunized from heat. I have been through what surely could not be repeated, and lived. As bad as I remember MDRF being, VARF was worse: it was just as hot, more humid, and I couldn't just up and go home when it got to be too much. (Well, I could have -- management made it clear they wanted people to stand down before they fell down. But I felt duty bound to keep entertaining as long as I could take it, since unbelievably there were patrons there till the very end.)

Scotsman

Aye, you gotta love them die hards! I am putting my request in for weather on the opener! Clear ...85!
Kilted Rogue #1411
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56

Lady_Glorianna

One thing that can be said is that no matter what the weather does, there are always playtrons & patrons, MDRF will be open and we will perform.
Lady Elizabeth Poyntz
Ynez de Leon
Catherine of Austria, Queen consort of Portugal
Molly Blair

lordwriothsley

LowlandScot said it best VARF was a living hell the next to last weekend before closing,however i never thought that Maryland's weather was just as bad.Speaking as someone who does NOT well with heat i am hoping that when i come to MDRF that the weather will hold up and not get as hot as VARF was the next to last weekend when people were droping like flies on both days.
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

Master James

Well I'm NOT making the same mistake this year and brining only my nobles garb!  I'm going to bring my pirate garb too that way if its too hot I can wear something that is cool.  I survived Hell Weekend at VARF in nobles garb but just barely and I could go backstage and cool off some and had plenty of ice readily available.  MDRF does a good job but they ran out of water and ice last year on opening weekend and that spelled trouble for a lot of people.  Hope they are more stocked up this time around.
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

will paisley

Quote from: lowlandscot on August 11, 2008, 09:50:34 AM
I was at both MDRF 2007 opener as a playtron and the now becoming legendary Hell Weekend at VARF 2008 as a performer, and at least I now feel immunized from heat. I have been through what surely could not be repeated, and lived. As bad as I remember MDRF being, VARF was worse: it was just as hot, more humid, and I couldn't just up and go home when it got to be too much.

Amen.  I even cheated at VARF, spending nearly a half hour in the car's air conditioning around noon, but it was like tossing bricks down the Grand Canyon.  We made it to closing after the "I survived 105" day at MDRF and even went out to eat afterwards, but after day one of the VARF Hell Weekend, we passed up a free dinner and party to go back to the hotel and collapse.
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

lowlandscot

Quote from: Master James on August 11, 2008, 02:26:26 PM
I could go backstage and cool off some and had plenty of ice readily available.

I knew it was epic-proportions bad when I dumped ice water on my head and it wouldn't evaporate. I'm just thankful Cornie didn't tell us what the heat index was until after the gates closed. If I'd known beforehand I probably would have passed out.

Dallan

Quote from: Master James on August 11, 2008, 02:26:26 PM
Well I'm NOT making the same mistake this year and brining only my nobles garb!  I'm going to bring my pirate garb too that way if its too hot I can wear something that is cool. 

I think that being flexible with the garb choice is a huge help in tolerating the heat. Of course cast can't be flexible. I'll stick to the kilt and merchant garb until a little later in the season. My pirate garb has a coat that can get a little steamy once the temperature gets above the upper 80s.
Fight'n

Scotsman

Hot weather ... kilt
cool weather ... kilt
rainy ... kilt
snow ... kilt
down-right cold ... kilt
perfect weather ... kilt

I think that about covers everything  ;D
Kilted Rogue #1411
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56

Dallan

Quote from: Scotsman on August 12, 2008, 09:00:40 AM
Hot weather ... kilt
cool weather ... kilt
rainy ... kilt
snow ... kilt
down-right cold ... kilt
perfect weather ... kilt

and the pleats go in the back, right?  ;)
Fight'n

Feline Groovy

That was the only weekend I didn't regret not being able to work on Sunday. I'd been on site all day Friday helping with tents and such that had been knocked about by the storm earlier in the week. I stayed on my feet all day Saturday but by the time the cast party rolled around that night, I was beyond wiped out. Even if my husband hadn't paid a surprise visit that evening, I likely would have called it a night well before the party really got underway.  The weather gods have my permission NOT to do that to us again next year.   :P
Where was I going and how do I get there?

lowlandscot

Hot weather ... kilt
cool weather ... kilt
rainy ... kilt
snow ... kilt
down-right cold ... kilt
perfect weather ... kilt

I notice you left out "gale force winds" -- 'cause then it wouldn't cover everything?  ;D

xanatos

Hot weather ... kilt
cool weather ... kilt
rainy ... kilt
snow ... kilt
down-right cold ... kilt
perfect weather ... kilt

That sounds like my plan. :)