News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Visiting Scarborough for the first time

Started by Hoyden, January 25, 2014, 11:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoyden

We are planning to come to Scarborough for our first visit on the weekend of April 12, 13.  This will be our first trip to a festival other than Maryland (our local festival).  What advice would you give newcomers?  Our dates are fixed based on work issues.

Thanks.

Merlin the Elder

If the weather is going to be warm those days, when you enter the gates, I would suggest going to the left in the morning.  There is a bit less shade on that side and it tends to get hot in the afternoon.  We haven't been to Maryland faire yet, so I can't offer a comparison.

Scarby is a great faire with a most impressive cast.  Try to be there for the pre-cannon gate show. Totally improvised.

Texas weather in April can be anything from hot-as-hell to snow...seriously!  Normally, however, temps can be expected to be in mid-70s.

Shoes: Much of the faire is hard-pack with gravel. I wouldn't wear shoes with real soft soles.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

SirRichardBear

Couple suggestion Scottish Court at the chess field is always fun and court dance in the Pecan Grove are well worth a visit. 
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

DonaCatalina

There is also the History, Customs and Manners Lecture in the morning, usually entertaining and informative.
There is dancing in the afternoons between the entrance and the rose garden.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: DonaCatalina on January 29, 2014, 05:01:05 AM
There is also the History, Customs and Manners Lecture in the morning, usually entertaining and informative.

As an outsider who visit once each year, I concur the HCM lecture is excellent!

Also the FOF people out front before canon are great folks!!
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Gauwyn of Bracknell on January 29, 2014, 06:23:04 AM

Aw... you just say that because you know it's true...
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Norfolk

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on January 29, 2014, 07:07:25 AM
Quote from: Gauwyn of Bracknell on January 29, 2014, 06:23:04 AM

Aw... you just say that because you know it's true...

Yea, verily!
Just call me "Your Grace"

dbaldock

Hello "Hoyden",

Scarborough Ren Fest was my home faire, before I moved to Houston in 2003.

So, while I haven't been to the faire for a number of years, I have been a fan of the ladies of "Queen Anne's Lace" since before they actually formed QAL (the original members were in the Scarborough Madrigals group beforehand).

http://www.qalace.com/front.php

Have Fun at Scarby!

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

BagPipeBabe

I all way go the the pub sing at the end of the day. It is a lot of fun. Payton and cast gather in a pub for one last drink, song and dance (with lots of limericks and toast).

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: BagPipeBabe on January 31, 2014, 12:14:43 AM
I all way go the the pub sing at the end of the day. It is a lot of fun. Payton and cast gather in a pub for one last drink, song and dance (with lots of limericks and toast).

Isn't there more than one pub sing?  We have always gone to the one where the open area where they do the court dancing, but isn't there also one on the other side?  (We only visit once a year, so hopefully this makes sense)
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

SirRichardBear

Yes there are at least two.  One at the Captain's Pub Sea Hag stage, a second at Kings Pub.  I also believe they have started doing something a the Dirty Duck
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

Hoyden

Quote from: SirRichardBear on January 31, 2014, 12:00:45 PM
Yes there are at least two.  One at the Captain's Pub Sea Hag stage, a second at Kings Pub.  I also believe they have started doing something a the Dirty Duck

I have to say that the pub sing at MDRF is our favorite part of the day so we will definitely try to go to one each day.  Looking at the schedule on the website, only the Sea Hag and the Dirty Duck pub sings are listed.  Do you think that means that the Kings Pub no longer has a pub sing or it is just not listed?

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Hoyden on January 31, 2014, 01:45:39 PM
Quote from: SirRichardBear on January 31, 2014, 12:00:45 PM

I have to say that the pub sing at MDRF is our favorite part of the day so we will definitely try to go to one each day.  Looking at the schedule on the website, only the Sea Hag and the Dirty Duck pub sings are listed.  Do you think that means that the Kings Pub no longer has a pub sing or it is just not listed?

I think the Kings Pub is the one I was referring to.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

DonaCatalina

If we stay that late, we go to the Pub sing at the Sea Hag. Lots of audience participation.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

BagPipeBabe

I have all ways gone to the Pub sing at the Sea Hag. I have been meaning to go to the others but I would miss the Sea Hag too much (it is a lot of fun).