News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Pirate persona

Started by Crimson, January 08, 2014, 10:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson

I spent my life growing up living overseas, I speak the language, I have friends all over the world.  I relate to the pirate persona very well.  I'm working now on expanding my garb wardrobe.  I have a red and black color scheme that I'm adding earth tones to as well.

My question is;  when I want to garb up formal what dresses would fit a pirate, say, for a masquerade ball, or for a day when I just want to look more lady-like?
Lady Crimson Cadena

Clan of the Celtic Rogues
TRF
Sherwood Forest Faire (Home faire)

"I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then" - Alice

Rani Zemirah

Well... something plundered from a "Lady"'s trunk, I would think!  Perhaps with a well-fitted greatcoat over the top of it?  This query might get more replies on the Garbing boards, perhaps?

Edited for inspiration:

It just occurred to me that THIS would be wonderfully formal with a full split skirt, forepart, petticoat and smallish hoop (nothing you couldn't fight or escape in, if the need arose, of course)... and perhaps just a touch of lace at the cuffs, to show that you are, indeed, a Lady Pirate

No need for the leather armored skirting, though, surely.  It blocks the view of all that wonderful embroidery on the coat skirting!  Oh, and I think maybe just a bit more fullness to the skirt of the coat, as well, to give it some "swish", yes?  And maybe a tone-on-tone brocade waist cincher, instead of the leather, to give a more formal look, as well. 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Rani Zemirah

Or something "cut-away", such as this (with more "period" fasteners, of course)!

It would show a skirt off to lovely advantage, and still give the nod to your pirate persona.  I still think the skirting needs a gore or two, though, to help it flow a bit. 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Crimson

Oooh, I love both of those!  I think I could alter the pirate coat I'm making now into one like the black and red one. I'm almost done and will post a picture on the sewing board when finished.  Thank you for the ideas!
Lady Crimson Cadena

Clan of the Celtic Rogues
TRF
Sherwood Forest Faire (Home faire)

"I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then" - Alice

Rani Zemirah

Happy to help!  Just ask anyone here... they will tell you I always have an opinion!  (whether it's a "popular" one, or not!)  LOL 

I look forward to seeing what you end up choosing! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

arbcoind

Check out www.dresslikeapirate.com for ideas on your lady pirate persona.

Gina