News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Let's Bring Back The "HUZZAH"

Started by Craigmeister, July 16, 2008, 08:00:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craigmeister

When I first started attending Renaissance faires in 2002, I could hear lots of loud huzzahs during every joust and stage act.  Now, any huzzahs seem to be rare.  Whenever I belt out a huzzah after a song now, people look at me as if I know the band or work at the faire.  Maybe this is only going on in the middle of the country.  I haven't been to faires on either coast or way up north yet.  Maybe there is just a new crowd of people attending faires now.

Huzzahs are something that set Renaissance and Medieval faires apart from other types of live entertainment.  You never hear a huzzah at a football or basketball game.  You never seem to hear one at a rock concert either.  Golf matches are noticeably devoid of huzzahs.  So are school plays.

Help me bring back this flair that contributes to making Ren faires unique.  If you see a good performance, hear a great song or see a jouster separated from his horse, let out a hearty "Huzzah".  You can catch the eye of the performer and get their acknowledgement.

And if you hear a huzzah at a football game this fall, you'll know you have something in common with someone else in the crowd.

Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

Marietta Graziella

Huzzah!

I agree with you, Craigmeister.

It is not heard as much in MN, either.  WIRF used to acknowledge a tipper with a thunderous "Huzzah for the tipper!".  Nope.  Not anymore.   And the pathetic, half hearted "huzzah, 20pounds for the King" at MN when paying with a $20.00 bill are not worth the effort they put into it.

However, it is a word commonly heard in our home.  I say it to my kids for doing well, or finishing an arduous task, on WoW, at work, and of course, at fest.

It's expressive.  It's unusual.  It's festive!   Say it with me...

HUZZAH!!!

Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

*Teach*

Huzzah for Huzzahs!

*Huzzah For Rum!*
*Got more Rum?* "Here, Try This!"
http://forums.wearephoenixrisen.com

Pinn

To get strange looks, HUZZAH at a mexican resturant. :o
I.P.B.
IWG# 3681
Ette
ROL #101
FOKTOP

Count Adolfo

I concur... and if you'd like a great humourous look at how this has spread, you should see our own BLAKDUKE chastising the crowd at a Faire for saying "hooray!" at a joust!!!

Will Gamwell

I have to agree with MG about the MN Faire.  You just don't hear it all that often.  Walking site all day doing security, I do hear it now and again.  Mostly from the kids working at the food booths & such.  Which as MG stated, is a half-hearted pathetic huzzah. 

Interestingly enough, my son and I decided to walk in some of the parades with my girlfriend for the Renaissance Festival this summer and it was amazing how many times we did "Three Cheers for the Renaissance Festival" and got "HUZZAH" responses.  Even when we didn't do that, now and again we would get a random "HUZZAH" from people watching the parade.  Some were participants, but a good majority were paytrons (and a good portion of those with drinks in their hand and red faces!  LOL)

Sean

Charlotte Rowan

In the CKC food workers' defense, "Huzzah! 20 pounds for the king!" is something they have to say, and my impression is that they don't like being "required" to say it. Perhaps if more of that 20 pounds went toward paying the employees they would be more excited about it.

I work at an independent food booth at MNRF and have had patrons tell me accusingly, "You're supposed to yell, '20 pounds for the king'" when they give me a 20. What I want to tell them is that at independent booths we are not required to do that, and furthermore, it is extremely annoying when people pay for a $2 bar of fudge with a 20 (we only have so much change), so there is no way I'm going to act excited about it!

Anyway, venting over. :P

I do agree, however, that in all other areas of Fest, yes, yes, bring back the Huzzah!
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

Count Adolfo

Maybe if we spread it to those football games...
or baseball... basketball...

oh, there you go... next time you see a MOVIE, when it ends, stand up, applaud loudly and yell "Huzzah!"

Valiss

Ah that's a shame because as you said, it's a great expression at fiare. What faire are you at anyway?  I hear it all the time at our faire(s).  When some pours someone an ale it's "Huzzah to the ale maker!"  Or when someone puts on a good show it's "Three cheers for the jugglers of fire.  Hip, hip, huzzah! Hip Hip Huzzah!..."  I always hear it when someone tips the ale stands or when repast is served. 

Come to think of it, I also her a lot of "well met" at faire too...

Anyway, I fully ensdorse you guys bringing to back to your area.  Let us know if it catches on. Huzzah!

Noble Dreg

I remember having a nice bit of banter with the ale wench over my brew order, then handing her a twenty, followed by a painful, ear-splitting "HUZZAH 20 POUNDS FOR..."

Now I make a point of avoiding larger bills at the beverage booth...wonder what they'd do if I handed over a "Franklin"?   

I'm good with "HUZZAH", just not at point-blank range.   ;D
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

Whistler Fred

Last Sunday my family was visiting a church in Salina, Kansas.  At one point the preacher said that he'd like to hear something other than "Amen" at the end of the community prayer.  So, we all shouted in unison "Huzzah!"  We drew a lot of odd looks from other church members but we also got a big grin from the preacher!
Whistler Fred (Lauritzen)

"Get ready for the Whistler.  I'll whistle along on the seventh day."  Ian Anderson

Blue66669

I shout....

HUZZIZZLE MAH NIZZLE!!!

....um, I live near the ghetto...
Blaidd Drwg

Elennare

never hear Huzzah at sporting events... *shakes head*

clearly you've never been to a sporting event I've attended.  Or any other event where cheering is expected.  "Huzzah" has replaced "hooray" in my vocabulary.

:)
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

Valiss

Quote from: blue66669 on July 16, 2008, 12:58:46 PM
I shout....

HUZZIZZLE MAH NIZZLE!!!

....um, I live near the ghetto...

Snoop Dog goes to the faire?  :)

BLAKDUKE

HUZZAH is heard where ever I am at.  If I hear Hooray then there are many choice words to be spoken and we can play on that for a 1/2 hour if we have time.  Curiously in the original POTC you can hear a huzzah or two and in the Patriot you hear both HUZZAH and HOORAY.  It would be interesting to try and find out when the nomenclature changed from one to the other.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel