News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Let's Bring Back The "HUZZAH"

Started by Craigmeister, July 16, 2008, 08:00:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

renren

Quote from: Valiss on July 16, 2008, 01:05:48 PM
Quote from: blue66669 on July 16, 2008, 12:58:46 PM
I shout....

HUZZIZZLE MAH NIZZLE!!!

....um, I live near the ghetto...

Snoop Dog goes to the faire?  :)

Fo shizzle!!
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

Sitara

As an Ale Wench at MNRF, whenever we are asked why we don't say "Huzzah, 20 pounds for the king!"  I kindly tell them, "Because we are volunteers, these are pounds for the peasants!"  We also don't Huzzah for tips, but most of the beer booths have bells, my pub has a gong and we used to use our jingly bits for tip bells.  I think I would go insane if I had to yell Huzzah every time I was paid in a $20!!!
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

Charlotte Rowan

Quote from: Whistler Fred on July 16, 2008, 12:53:14 PM
Last Sunday my family was visiting a church in Salina, Kansas.  At one point the preacher said that he'd like to hear something other than "Amen" at the end of the community prayer.  So, we all shouted in unison "Huzzah!"  We drew a lot of odd looks from other church members but we also got a big grin from the preacher!

This...is....AWESOME!
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

Craigmeister

Quote from: Valiss on July 16, 2008, 10:26:01 AM
Ah that's a shame because as you said, it's a great expression at fiare. What faire are you at anyway?  I hear it all the time at our faire(s).  When some pours someone an ale it's "Huzzah to the ale maker!"  Or when someone puts on a good show it's "Three cheers for the jugglers of fire.  Hip, hip, huzzah! Hip Hip Huzzah!..."  I always hear it when someone tips the ale stands or when repast is served. 

Come to think of it, I also her a lot of "well met" at faire too...

Anyway, I fully ensdorse you guys bringing to back to your area.  Let us know if it catches on. Huzzah!

I usually go to the Oklahoma Renaissance Festival.  I also frequent the Norman Medieval Faire.  Huzzahs were rare at Joplin's Renaissance Festival this spring too.  The only time I hear many huzzahs is when the wenches are trying to hype the crowds up at the jousts.
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

I've noticed a lack luster attempt at HUZZAH's at CoRF. Once in a while some of the girls will keep yelling at those they work at to say HUZZAH because they got a tip. If we notice staff that doesn't say HUZZAH, we don't tip them. If you want that tip you must YELL out HUZZAH TO THE TIPPER!
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Valiss

Quote from: Craigmeister on July 16, 2008, 04:19:53 PM
Quote from: Valiss on July 16, 2008, 10:26:01 AM
Ah that's a shame because as you said, it's a great expression at fiare. What faire are you at anyway?  I hear it all the time at our faire(s).  When some pours someone an ale it's "Huzzah to the ale maker!"  Or when someone puts on a good show it's "Three cheers for the jugglers of fire.  Hip, hip, huzzah! Hip Hip Huzzah!..."  I always hear it when someone tips the ale stands or when repast is served. 

Come to think of it, I also her a lot of "well met" at faire too...

Anyway, I fully ensdorse you guys bringing to back to your area.  Let us know if it catches on. Huzzah!

I usually go to the Oklahoma Renaissance Festival.  I also frequent the Norman Medieval Faire.  Huzzahs were rare at Joplin's Renaissance Festival this spring too.  The only time I hear many huzzahs is when the wenches are trying to hype the crowds up at the jousts.

How interesting.  Perhaps the prevalence of the Huzzah is a West Coast thing?  I must hear/say it 100 times a day at faire.

PurpleDragon

It's not soo much not said, as I think it is said too much in an overzealous tone.  The drink girls yelling "HUZZAH FOR THE TIPPER" is always appreciated, but to hear the drunken throngs just tossing the word about willy-nilly, well, that's just plain silly :)
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

theChuck

Quote from: Valiss on July 16, 2008, 05:03:35 PM
How interesting.  Perhaps the prevalence of the Huzzah is a West Coast thing?  I must hear/say it 100 times a day at faire.

hmm. ive heard it yelled almost nonstop at nyrf. *shrug*
The Renlist - find faires near you!

maelstrom0370

We went to the local 'Irish Pub' about a week ago and there was a duet playing lots of Irish jigs and so forth as well as 'dane songs, done Jig-style).  During applause, I was suprised at how many "Huzzahs" I heard.  As far as Faire (MiRF), it seems to me we hear them a lot, so I'm not sure of the "Hooray Sickness" has crept in just yet.

Queen Bonnie

I can't help it! Huzzah just comes out naturally when I am at any event!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

Lady Elizabeth

Huzzah is a very common word in my house as well as around my fellow rennies. As for MiRF it is a common occurrence. It's a shame that huzzah is not heard as much in other places. It's up to us rennies to ensure it comes back to the faires.

eloquentXI

I say huzzah and people just stare. I agree, bring the Huzzah back!

Hip hip...HUZZAH!

Hip hip...HUZZAH!
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

Var Greyshadow

Yep, "Huzzah" has pretty much become my positive expression of choice.  Don't know how many times it slips out in the mundane world.  At faire, it's almost the only way I can commend a performer - my hands are usually full with my mug or my longbow, or both.  So my repsonse to anything good is usually, 'HUZZAH!"

Have not heard the "20 pounds for the King" here in TX, but I have heard "Huzzah to the tipper!" several times. 

The joust heralds seem to always get the crowds to yell or chant silly things, but I'm more prone to yell something like, "Huzzah, Sir. William!  A good hit!"

The Scarborough Royal Guard nave no qualms about cheering in mew GITS or promoted officers with rousing, 'Hip, Hip, HUZZAH!"s. 

I'd say "Huzzah" is doing pretty well at my faires.  HUZZAH!!
"All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost..." ~J.R.R. Tolkien "The Fellowship of the Ring"

Blue66669

Everyone here at work is used to my HUZZAH's already. It's almost common for me to yell HUZZAH from my office at least 4 times a day. I'll convert them all, one cubicle at a time...
Blaidd Drwg

Sir William Marcus

VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.