News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

URGENT: Occoquan River Festival - attend or perform

Started by will paisley, July 16, 2008, 11:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

will paisley

Details:

Date: 27 July 2008 from 10 AM until 7 PM

Times and events: http://www.occoquanrivercommunities.org/riverfestival.asp

Period: 1600s to 1920s

People sought: Jamestown, Colonial/Rev War, F&I, Civil War, Mountain
Men/Women, World War I, Indians (Dogue Indians lived there), Soldiers
of multiple periods, settlers /townsfolks (from multiple periods), etc.
NOTE: Pirates fit within this time period as well.

Exhibits and interactive with the public activities eagerly sought.

Misc: The schooner, 'Spirit of Washington' will be sailing down and
they will need period people on board and arrive in Occoquan, VA.

Please contact John Houser SOON at 703-690-2121 work, 571-329-1542 cell
if you are interested.  He wants to set the performers list for printing the program
by tomorrow at the latest, so contact him today if you are interested.
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

Feline Groovy

Drat! Would love to but Sunday's a work day for me.  :-/
Where was I going and how do I get there?

lordwriothsley

I might be interested in this gig...........All i need are some details and times for this gig and i just might be free for it.
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

Master James

I sent out the information yesterday via the cast email group.  You should have gotten something on it.  check your email.
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Benedict Browne

So how did the call go?  Was there enough interest?  I only saw my one reply on VARFCAST, so I'm guessing that everybody else responded directly and not to the general populace?  ???
Scott McD.

(Master Benedict Browne - Sgt. Trumpeter)

Master James

Yup we have about 7 people including my wife and I so it looks like we are a go.  I'll get more details next week and send out an email so everyone knows what is going on.
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
FoMDRF
RFC #51

lordwriothsley

Put me down as a possibility..........I should have a definite answer by next week.
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

Master James

Send me an email as soon as you know so I can add you to the list.
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
FoMDRF
RFC #51

lordwriothsley

Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

troubadude

I'm planning to be there between 12 noon and 4pm.  I don't plan to do any "formal" performances due to health issues, but will be there to display and demonstrate a couple "period" instruments, I was told I'll be in the park near the ships. 

Please stop by and say hello if you're there.  Always glad to see a friend!

Tom
Troubadude
if music be the food of love, play on!

Master James

Great news Tom!  They havent' told us yet were exactly we were going to be other than in Occoquan somewhere!  LOL  I'll try and stop by during the day to see you.
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
FoMDRF
RFC #51

lordwriothsley

Jim,
I just sent you an email on the group mail but though i would drop you a line in here as well.Mark me down as a no go for the festival.I wanted to do it but don't have transportation.I will be with you all in spirit and in heart however so always know that.
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

will paisley

Did anybody ever see anything in the Washington Post about this?  I know my picture and personal info were taken, and I was told that this was done for the rest of the VARFies as well.  I've been checking the online version, but all I've been able to find is the announcement for the event the week before.

lordwriothsley

will,
I'm sure if you check back in the Washington Post tomorrow there should be something about the event as well as the pics and info of all the VARFers who attended as well.
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

will paisley

Quote from: lordwriothsley on August 11, 2008, 09:22:41 PM
will,
I'm sure if you check back in the Washington Post tomorrow there should be something about the event as well as the pics and info of all the VARFers who attended as well.

I have, and there isn't.

The event was on July 27.  At the latest, it should've been reported on by Aug 3, a week ago.  Any reason for thinking it would be done sometime between yesterday and today?

lordwriothsley

No not really Will.Do you have any way to contact them to find out something about the article?
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

Master James

Well I did call the Post because I was trying to find something on it and NOTHING.  They said there was no article written.  The Connection has some nice pictures they posted in their photo gallery but again no article.  I can't find a single article about anything other than the suffergette memorial dedication.  That is it.  Don't know why they asked for all the information and took all those pics to do no article on it at all.   ???
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
FoMDRF
RFC #51

lordwriothsley

Yeah i agree with you Master James..........I don't know why they would ask for all that information and not write an article on it,It kind of sounds like they wasted their time to me.
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

troubadude

In answer to your question about what happened to the interview & pics:

We've had pics taken and given interviews and names several times over the last 10-15 years.  Then I'd scour the news medias the internet, etc. for days only to find they didn't publish the article or the pics.  Often, what happens is reporter will be assigned to a festival and see/hear something they think would make a nice "community interest" story or a picture "worth 1,000 words", but when it comes time to put the paper or the news broadcast together, the person(s) in charge consider the article not worthy of bumping what they consider a bigger story. 

It can be really frustrating when you're trying to build a following or justify someone hiring you back the following year. 

Tom
http://www/Troubadude.com/
if music be the food of love, play on!