News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A 'Harry Potter' question

Started by maelstrom0370, July 16, 2008, 02:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maelstrom0370

OK, not sure if this is the best Message Board to ask this, but I'm sure several of you have read the books. I love to read, but have never been able to 'get into' this series, although I do enjoy the movies.
That said, here goes.

I was watching 'Order of the Phoenix' and was curious about the 'Death Curses'.  Why aren't the 'bad guys' just tossing these things about willy-nilly?  They obviously exist in Harry's world, so why aren't Voldemort and crew just taking over the world by using them?

Ok, thanks in advance for your time.

Blue66669

Well, at this point in the story, the Death Eaters and Voldemort are still kinda "underground". They have a strategic plan to slowly worm their way into places and positions of power, so that the takeover will be more widely accepted. If they went around shooting killing curses at everyone, with such small numbers, they'd surely be overtaken and sent to Azkaban or worse.
Blaidd Drwg

PurpleDragon

I'd say blue about covered it for ya.

Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

Blue66669

OMG, I just realized that my inner dweeb was showing...

*tucks the dweebish back under her skirt*
Blaidd Drwg

CatAshtrophy

Blue is exactly right. And even if they weren't trying to be underground, they could accomplish more by not killing everyone in site. Power hungry people want somebody left over to control once they gain power after all.

maelstrom0370

Thanks for the explanation, Blue...and the indulgence.  When put that way, it makes a lot of sense!  :P 
Like I said, I've tried a few times, but just can't get into the series.